• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

HELP! Who Has Successfully Asked / Received A Pay-Raise?

lucifersam666

Bluelight Crew
Hey BL,
I was looking for advice and suggestions on how to go about getting a raise.
I've never done this before. So feel free to tell me if it's based from your experience, something you read, or just what you think/feel is a good route to take.
Also, if all else fails, can someone please shed some light towards a logical/ respectful contingency plan (e.g.. if the company's upward mobility/pay raise rates aren't suitable for me I need a contingency plan)

My questions:
1.-- When should I ask for a raise?
2.-- How should I (bring it up when I do) ask for a raise?
3.-- If I am given a raise, and it is too low, how do I politely rebuttal?
4.-- Is there a percentage or some type of rule-of-thumb that helps with determining an employees raise?
or on the inverse, how would I figure a fair number to give them if they ask me what I think i should be paid.
4.-- Is this just a job or is it something that could become a career? How?
5. -- Are there other jobs (regardless of titles) that get paid a lot more for submitting proposals, quoting, estimating, bidding, etc. like I have been doing?
6. -- Once my facts are straight, more research, etc. and then i am prepared...Who should I bring this up to at work? --HR, branch manager, corporate (from another state), hmm?
7.-- Lastly, In a worst case scenario, if this job just isn't going to work with me, what industry would you all recommend me? (example:

Here is a super brief work background:
We fabricate, install and sell heavy-duty rubber to industrial companies (construction, power plants, coal mines, etc.) all over the USA & Canada.
My position/job title is Customer Service/ Inside Sales...So I have an office desk.
Although that is what my job title says on paper, I primarily provide quotes and estimates to our customers and submit bids and proposals.
I've been working for 6 months and I am paid hourly. My goal is to work here for 2 years before I reevaluate a new job (I need work experience, too)
- I have a very common job title, even though I do deal with lots of client accounts (i.e.. today I set up $100,000 contract proposal through Kinder Morgan, which we won.
There's about, in total, 30 employees at our location (majority are labor workers)
The branch manager also has 3 or 4 family members who work there, too, which adds to a positive working environment.
The branch manager is actually a friend of mine who got me the job. And I have excelled significantly within learning how this industry works.
Again, the work environment is more laid back then your typical corporate work realm.
I could be wrong, but i think, given the circumstances, being 100% professional may be over-the-top.

As someone with years of management experience including area supervisor (manager of multiple stores/ other managers) I feel I can answer some of your questions. Others however might be better left to someone in your specific field. That being said here goes...

My questions:
1.-- When should I ask for a raise?
This depends a lot on a few things. Are you looking for something extremely quick? Are you ok taking your time getting it? Many companies like yours (outside of food, service, and retail) have set timelines they use for raises. Some are 3 months in and every year after that others are 6 months and every year, some are just every year. Cost of living increase for a lot of professional jobs like yours is a standard 3% yearly with a possibility for more depending on work ethic. Due to the type of job you have and the relationship you stated you have with the person I assume would be in charge of starting the raise process for you I'd advise you to simply ask him something like "hey, when i first started here I never did hear anything on how the raises work. Could you explain how you guys do those here?" Most people are not going to pay you more just for the hell of it so if it's never mentioned you might never get one.

2.-- How should I (bring it up when I do) ask for a raise? I feel I kinda covered this in the response to#1

3.-- If I am given a raise, and it is too low, how do I politely rebuttal? This one is extremely difficult to judge. Most times what they give and what you expect do not line up. I'd say honestly the best thing you could do is get ahead of this but it takes a major set of balls to do so. (Sorry i don't know what you make, $ amount for example only-when asking about the raise casually slip in something like "I've done a budget and if I could make $12 an hour instead of the $11 I make now... blah blah blah.)

4.-- Is there a percentage or some type of rule-of-thumb that helps with determining an employees raise?
or on the inverse, how would I figure a fair number to give them if they ask me what I think i should be paid.
As stated previously normal amount is 3% a year because that's approximately how much inflation since the 70's has been (2.61% a year average as of 2017 I believe)
So for every dollar an hour you make, 3 cents is considered a "decent raise" (i.e. make $10.00 an hour now? Decent raise = $0.30 after a year.$10.30 during year 2 then a $0.31 raise to $10.61 ect...)

4.-- Is this just a job or is it something that could become a career? How? Anything can become a career. Instead of this question ask yourself "am I truly happy here?" If the answer is yes then you'll figure out the how subconsciously. If it's no then change to something that will make you happy.

5. -- Are there other jobs (regardless of titles) that get paid a lot more for submitting proposals, quoting, estimating, bidding, etc. like I have been doing? I'm sure there is but I'm not experienced in this field so I'll just say money isn't everything.

6. -- Once my facts are straight, more research, etc. and then i am prepared...Who should I bring this up to at work? --HR, branch manager, corporate (from another state), hmm?
Branch manager friend who got you the job.

7.-- Lastly, In a worst case scenario, if this job just isn't going to work with me, what industry would you all recommend me?
A. Anything with the word quantum behind it (quantum computing, quantum physics, quantum internet, ect...)
B. computer coding
C. Artificial intelligence
D. Politics

I say these answers because these are going to be some of the only jobs left over the next couple decades.