HELP. Psychotic Break?

oldcarl

Greenlighter
My friend has lost it, I'm worried about him. This is going to be a big thread, but please read through and see if you can contribute knowledge.

OVERVIEW:
Last night, friend took an unknown pill (white, circular, "101" imprinted on one side, no other markings - and no, it did not say "a101"). I tried using epocrates and other lookup sources and could find it nowhere. He had taken 6 the night before, and was told they were "hydrocodone and alprazolam". Never heard of a pill with that combo.

Friend drank some alcohol of unknown quantity, then proceeded to rave and snorted some MDMA from a trusted source. More alcohol was ingested after.

Later, friend found a source for more MDMA, and went out to her car. It appeared to be MDMA, and he insufflated it. We go back into the rave and dance and all, then leave 30 minutes later. He reports that the stuff he got was "bunk", and that he didn't know the girl.

As we walk to the car, he begins acting paranoid and looking all around. I tell him all his fine, but he is worried that he was sold fake drugs by a narc. We get to the car and head on our way home. He seems to not be under the influence of anything, and is coherent and fine other than being very paranoid. During the drive, he becomes more and more suspicious of being followed, and insists we pull of to "see if they drive past us". Of course, there's no one even behind us for a mile, and they drive right on by.

To cut to the chase, the whole drive is peppered with him pulling over and when we finally get to my car, I have him follow me to my house. No more than one minute after leaving the parking lot, he pulls onto a side street and I - being frustrated and thinking he's just being "too paranoid" - keep on driving. I text him my address since he has a GPS. When I get home, I call and no answer. I pass out for 2 hours and wake up to a frantic call from him explaining how there's "tons of 'em" and they're all following him. I eventually get him to pull over and have me come meet him. 2 more hours go by before he answers my call again, and he's out in the middle of country roads. He finally comes back to a place I can meet him at, and I hop out to ask him to "point out one of the cars to me". He points at a parked Honda Civic on the side of the road. I run up to the car, look in the window, and of course no one is there. I bounce up and down on the hood for laughs, but there's just no convincing him. We go home, and he points at all of my neighbor's cars insisting they are "them". He remains totally coherent and has no other hallucinations or delusions, I should add - just this persecutory delusion. I explain that I know everyone who owns these cars, etc, etc. He paces in my room for hours, and finally I give him a horse's dose of Kava Kava so he'll go to sleep. I wake up later and he is gone, back to his apartment in a burg outside of my city (about 45 minutes away). He calls and says "they followed me to my apartment".

And on and on this goes. I finally got him to his parent's 2 hours from where he lives, so hopefully they can figure out what to do. It has been 14 hours now since he took any drug, and there seems to be no improvement.

OVERVIEW OF DRUGS TAKEN:

- (alleged) hydrocodone and xanax
- alcohol
- MDMA
- (alleged) MDMA

QUESTIONS:

1. Does anyone have a Pill ID on: white, circular, "101" imprint on one side?
2. Could this be an acute psychotic break and triggered by opiate withdrawal (I know little about this phenomenon, and would appreciate more info)
3. Just generally: What the hell is going on, and how can I help my friend??

Thanks Bluelighters, it's good to have this resource to turn to.

could quite possibly be some amphet thats getting him paranoid (the 101 pills?)...MDMA is often laced with uppers like caffiene and shit..could have just been a bunk ass pill that was a stimulant as well..in combination with alcohol he would lose certain inhibitions...get your friend to sleep, stop doing anymore drugs, and eat...

Psychosis
Main article: Stimulant psychosis
Abuse of amphetamines can result in a stimulant psychosis that can present as a number of psychotic disorders (i.e. paranoia, hallucinations, delusions). The intensity and duration of symptoms may vary, but unlike true psychotic disorders (i.e. schizophrenia), stimulant psychoses are not considered to be permanent and will eventually resolve upon discontinuation of the drug's use.[citation needed]

It could be a number of things. Since you don't know what drugs he actually took it could have been some sort of drug induced psychosis. He may have also had some latent mental disorder that the drugs set off. If he doesn't improve soon he needs to go see a doctor.

Ok. He's out of my control now, but he's with family and I have their numbers.

I thought about amphetamine psychosis, but I thought that required long-term use, it wore off when the drugs did (which they should've after almost 15 hours now), and would have other symptoms like excitability.

What's concerning to me is how calm he is about this, although it's very much real to him currently. Not something that aligns with (my understanding of) a drug-induced psychosis.

The cars always get to me too. :p It started with blank flashing figures, and slowly formed into agents as the psychosis got worse, now they are 99% gone. But when a car comes by... I'm thinking 'what an ominous engine hum. I bet its an undercover cop and he's looking right at me. Terrible state, I have a lot of sympathy for your friend. <3

The substance could have been speed, or something like DMAA which doesn't give you much of a high. It's similar to adrenaline.

Yes, it really sounds like a psychotic break, and it sounds like he needs help urgently... perhaps a group of nurses and policemen coming after him wouldn't be the nicest way to begin the treatment.

I thought about amphetamine psychosis, but I thought that required long-term use

Drugs can cause permanent problems the first time you use them. It's mostly a game of luck, a combination of russian roulette and how thick the person's skull is.

Last edited:
@Lord: Would you mind PM'ing me with more info on what happened with you? I told his parents essentially what you were referring to - cops and nurses aren't going to be helping anything since he's not violent and didn't OD on anything. But I don't know what else to recommend to them.

It sounds like he just had way too much MDMA and started wigging out. It's a psychedelic drug and can amplify bad thoughts; paranoia and mania aren't uncommon if in a bad setting or in (mild) overdoses.

Okay, and no one can find a pill ID for what I mentioned in the first post?

Just for everyone's reference, it is now getting close to 3 days and no signs of improvement with my friend. :-/

I'm about to head over to his apartment now. He said "good, I need to show you exactly who these people are that are following me."

Anyway, here's to hoping he isn't past the point of this still being amphetamine-induced and something that will go away on it's own.

Aaand he's back. Want to leave some hope here for anyone else who google's/runs across this thread. He smoked a bowl and snapped out of it.

Lord: got your pm. I'm still working toward that pesky bluelighter status before I can reply to PMs though. Seems like you should be able to reply, but I guess not.

That's great! was it the weed that actually got him back? Sometimes a bowl will allow me to see myself in ways I hadn't seen beforehand, but this is surprising. I'm very happy for him! Psychotic breaks and the feelings that take place before and afterward are NO fun. Absolutely no fun, and if you aren't too far gone they are terrifying I am so happy for him <3

Yes, I am able to reply, which is why I sent you the message about typing 800 words, then coming down from Dexedrine half way through my story, which is also why I asked if you wanted a short version. Pretty much... I have said so much on BL that all you need to do is quickly scan through my posts and the details should be explained ten times over. Having said that, I was usually out of my mind when I made 'those' posts.

Anyway I'm very happy things are finally good with your friend. Smoking a bowl, unless PURE indica, tends to get me closer to psychosis, but... well... you know the saying... different strokes different folks and whatever else.

Last edited: