• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Help finding a detox and program..any help appreciated

MeMan

Greenlighter

Hello everyone,

I googled something and found your site. It's very cool a lot of info. The reason I was looking for a forum was in the hopes I would come acrossed someone that works in a detox rehab facility in North America (I'm in AZ) that would take me. I have just disability insurance or Medicare better known. I retired early after 25 years with the railroad for my age anyways. I'm hoping maybe someone at a place can do a opening with no cost or charge my Medicare. I hear sometimes places will make exceptions good places that really have a working program. I tried a place called teen challenge but after 30 days I couldn t do it. I thought it was a Christian based program that really used your higher power in recovery but where I went was more like a prison work crew. The manditory long work days I just couldn't do because of my back problems. I didn't know they took all your income while there either. I didn't mind making a sacrifice for my sobriety but when I stated I couldn't do the long hours and really physical work they started punishing me with extra work. Maybe it was the location but all the work they had was tree falling, moving people, landscape and so on. We NEVER focused on recovery or even God for that matter and the main person was fired for stealing when I was there. When I ask to leave they kicked me out on the street in a unknown town (bad part) while they asked evryone to stay in the cafeteria area. I mentioned my concernes and immediately they rounded up 30 guys, made me pack and locked me out. I never broke a rule or ever had any problems with anyone there. It took me a while to find a place called gospel rescue mission to sleep. On the way I got my clothes stolen along with a cracked rib. You just don't go walking down the street in that area with a huge suitcase! Anyways.
I'm going to be detoxing from alcohol. I am also on subutex. I have been off main opiates for over six months. I take 3/4 of a 8 mg a day right now. I was on 60 mg oxycotin3 X day and 3 30s (blues) for over 16 years so I'm proud I wanted to be off the pails and did it. I don't miss it at all. My major problem is drinking. I drink half a gallon a day or more of rum and cokes. I don't eat and don't sleep if you know what I mean as well. My body is going down pretty fast. Urine is so thick and no BM for over 20 days at a time. I'm hoping this request finds a home and a heart. I can't do the free programs or state funded ones it doesn't work for me. I need some real recovery and a hope. It's not only hurting me but everyone around me is hurting and the only thing I say is well let's just make my last days comfortable. So being a addict I have convinced them the damage to my body is already done and they are letting me do everything I want with no limits and crying.
I sometimes watch Dr Phil and the show intervention and get so mad when they have to convince someone to go get help. Man that makes me mad when there are other people like me that would kill to get into a treatment place they go to! I also would STAY. I just turned 40 and feel like I'm 90. I had my fun days and it's just time to grow up. Thank god I don't have kids because I couldn't imagine my father acting like me. What a disappointment I am.

Thank you​

You're not a disappointment, you have an illness. There are many recovery programs that will satisfy your requirements - the one I went to on the East Coast is a faith based/12 step program and many treatment facilities are centered around this model. Read through this thread and see if any are mentioned in your area:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/680440-Rehab-amp-Detox-Clinics-Share-your-experiences

Quitting alcohol is difficult, I spent seven years of my life trying to quit drinking. The only thing that worked for me was to address the underlying reasons why I drank, and also had to learn productive stress coping mechanisms. Once I did those two things stopping was the easy part.

I am sorry you are suffering so much right now. Kudos for stepping down from the opiates - it's great that you do have the desire to get sober, as you mentioned, many people don't so that is a huge benefit in your favor.