• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Help cleaning MSG from Ketamine.

ChineseCrystals

Greenlighter
If some ketamine was mixed with MSG, would a good way to remove the msg from the ketamine be heating the crystals up too 100c (in a boiling water bath) and the ketamine would melt but would the msg still be solid as its got a higher melting point? Or would the MSG be soluble in the melted ketamine?

I'm looking for the best way to clean the ketamine and from my understanding becuese msg has similar properties and is also a salt it's soluble is the same solutions. If anybody can enlighten me or help with a way to clean the msg from the K that would be awesome

Would I be able to use alcohol? I'm reading on an old thread here that ketamine is soluble in alcohol however msg isnt

MSG is sparingly soluble to insoluble in alcohols.

For future reference, if you Google a chemical and the word pubchem, you get a website that lists the properties of the chemical including it's various solubilies (about halfway down the page under sub heading 4 as solubility is a physical property).

One caveat is you need dry alcohol. Ethanol that has been denatured with methanol (and methanol only) would be best, as it has no added water other than what gets absorbed from air (if you wanted to be really rigorous you would dry the alcohol over magnesium sulfate immediately before performing the extraction to eliminate the azeotropic water content).

Ps: plz don't ask a question multiple times if you aren't getting answers immediately.

Honestly I think your thinking of MSM. Which is very often used to give K that large boulder look. I’ve seen a lot of ketamine lab analysis over the years and not once have I seen MSG, but LOTS have MSM.

So I respectfully suggest you look into that more, DrugsData.com is a good site to look.

Here’s a thread by me on how to clean out MSM.

-GC

I'm waiting for the sample results to be posted to WEDINOS and then I will know for sure what the cut is.

Meanwhile I'll read post thanks for getting back to me

I should add that the ketamine is in needle shard form. MSG also looks identical in the same form except sometimes you have a double crystal

MSG is sparingly soluble to insoluble in alcohols.

For future reference, if you Google a chemical and the word pubchem, you get a website that lists the properties of the chemical including it's various solubilies (about halfway down the page under sub heading 4 as solubility is a physical property).

One caveat is you need dry alcohol. Ethanol that has been denatured with methanol (and methanol only) would be best, as it has no added water other than what gets absorbed from air (if you wanted to be really rigorous you would dry the alcohol over magnesium sulfate immediately before performing the extraction to eliminate the azeotropic water content).

Ps: plz don't ask a question multiple times if you aren't getting answers immediately.
Thanks for your reply, and sorry for asking the question twice. I'm a newbie on the forums so I might make some errors.

Ah so would Isopropanol 99.8% alcohol not do the job?

I've been looking on pubchem and it says MSG has a Boiling Point of 225 °C (decomposes) and ketamine 262.5 °C

Does that mean if I heat it too 230c in an oven that the MSG would decompose leaving only the ketamine?

It doesn't say whether ketamine hcl is soluble in alcohol on the pubchem not that I can see?

Last edited:
It doesn't say whether ketamine hcl is soluble in alcohol on the pubchem not that I can see?
Freely soluble in water and in methanol; soluble in alcohol; sparingly soluble in chloroform.

One way to separate Ket from MSG is by weight. You need something flat and thin and smooth - like one half of a CD case or even a CD.

Hold the surface horizontal and dump a small pile of your product on one end. Tilt the other end down slightly. Maybe 30 degrees. Now tap gently under your pile with something solid like a knife handle while maintaining the 30 degree angle.

Because of the different crystal weights, if you do this carefully one crystal type will separate from the pile first and slide down the surface. This is why it must be super smooth. It’s difficult but doable with MSG of you are patient and careful.

I’ve read that MSG is actually a common cut of ketamine. One way to wash it and potentially any other contaminants is first acetone wash it, then wash it in isopropyl alcohol, then wash it in water and evaporate.

Freely soluble in water and in methanol; soluble in alcohol; sparingly soluble in chloroform.

One way to separate Ket from MSG is by weight. You need something flat and thin and smooth - like one half of a CD case or even a CD.

Hold the surface horizontal and dump a small pile of your product on one end. Tilt the other end down slightly. Maybe 30 degrees. Now tap gently under your pile with something solid like a knife handle while maintaining the 30 degree angle.

Because of the different crystal weights, if you do this carefully one crystal type will separate from the pile first and slide down the surface. This is why it must be super smooth. It’s difficult but doable with MSG of you are patient and careful.

I’ve read that MSG is actually a common cut of ketamine. One way to wash it and potentially any other contaminants is first acetone wash it, then wash it in isopropyl alcohol, then wash it in water and evaporate.
Should you filter it between the washing stages to remove the stuff that doesn't doslve (hopefully the msg) I've tried mechanical separation by agitation and it didn't work very well but I might have to be more patient and revise my methodology

Should you filter it between the washing stages to remove the stuff that doesn't doslve (hopefully the msg) I've tried mechanical separation by agitation and it didn't work very well but I might have to be more patient and revise my methodology
I’ve thought about this more. You’ll need to double check this because I can’t guarantee it. I’ve never done it.

1. Wash combined ket + msg mix in acetone to remove anything organic. Filter through coffee filter. Ket and msg both insoluble in acetone so material in filter is ket and msg.

2. Wash combined ket + msg from filter in isopropyl alcohol. Ket is soluble in alcohol. Msg is insoluble in isopopyl alcohol. Filter through coffee filter and save liquid. Material in filter will be msg: discard. Liquid is ket dissolved in isopropyl alcohol.

3. Evaporate isopropyl alcohol in a large flat glass or ceramic container (slowly, no direct flame). Ketamine will come out of solution and crystalise as the alcohol evaporates. Srape up ket with razor blade when all alcohol evaporated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because the MSG is decomposing at that temp doesn’t mean it’s leaving the product, now it’s just some unknown decomposition byproduct.

Wait on the Wedinos results to see cuz right now your just guessing.

Ketamine HCl is soluble in ethanol, msg is practically insoluble. Extract product in a minimal amount of denatured ethanol (dried) filter, then evaporate.

But just wait on the results..

-GC

Just because the MSG is decomposing at that temp doesn’t mean it’s leaving the product, now it’s just some unknown decomposition byproduct.

Wait on the Wedinos results to see cuz right now your just guessing.

Ketamine HCl is soluble in ethanol, msg is practically insoluble. Extract product in a minimal amount of denatured ethanol (dried) filter, then evaporate.

But just wait on the results..

-GC
Would Isopropanol 99.8% work instead of ethanol?

Its harder to source the ethanol and when I find it denatured with either 1%MEK or 6% methalyted spirits.

Would the 99.8% isopropyl work?

Honestly I think your thinking of MSM. Which is very often used to give K that large boulder look. I’ve seen a lot of ketamine lab analysis over the years and not once have I seen MSG, but LOTS have MSM.

So I respectfully suggest you look into that more, DrugsData.com is a good site to look.

Here’s a thread by me on how to clean out MSM.

-GC
I do believe K is in fact cut with MSG qhite often

With all due respect guys, I just looked at DrugsData and found zero Ketamine samples with MSG, but TONS with MSM.

Please post some links or something to back this up.

-GC

There isn't lots of information about it to be honest but it's just the taste! Your probably right about the msm and the Wedinos results will be available in the week. Do you know if isopropyl will be fine or?

Last edited:
Denatured alcohol (also called methylated spirits) is usually full of toxic additives