• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Heirarchy of water for injection safety

Flexistentialist

Bluelight Crew
Thought this might be a useful thread to help counter the popular myth that bottled spring water is safer to inject than regular tap water. This issue has been thoroughly researched by harm reduction services across the world, and the following has been published by Exchange Supplies. This advice was written for the UK, however it applies to basically all countries in the developed world, who have standards in place on the treatment of drinking water.

Hierarchy of Water Risks (Safest to least safe)

1) Unopened ampoule of sterile water

The 'gold standard' for safety, an ampoule of water for injections means that the water used for dissolving the drugs isn't going to be the source of viral or bacterial infection.

2) Boiled water

Boiling water in a kettle will kill virtually all organisms, and using boiled water from a kettle is the advice to injectors who do not have an ampoule of water for injections.

Although it is true that to guarantee that even the most resistant pathogens are killed the water should be boiled for several minutes, in practice the additional benefits are few and advice to boil water in a pan is problematic because:

* the water takes time to cool, and could become contaminated during cooling;
* the pan or lid used to boil the water could be contaminated; and
* the advice is unlikely to be followed, and there is a risk that injectors will take the view that if they can't follow the advice, then they might as well not bother doing anything because they are taking a risk anyway.

3) Kitchen tap - cold water

The reason the poster differentiates the kitchen tap from other taps in the house is that the kitchen tap is usually fed from the rising main which, in the UK, is usually virtually or completely free from bacteria.

Water from bathroom taps may have been stored in a cold water tank in the roof where it can become much more contaminated with bacteria: not a problem if you're drinking it, the acid of the stomach is able to kill low levels of bacteria without a problem, but not so good if the water is being injected.

4) Bottled water

The constant advertising and marketing of bottled water has created a strong perception in the public psyche of it as a pure, safe source of water that is better than tap water.

Certainly in the UK it is open to debate whether this is true in terms of drinking water – the UK has a very good safety record for our drinking water which is pure and free from contamination. But for use as a liquid for dissolving drugs for injection, there is no debate: tap water is almost always better than bottled water because the bacteria count will be lower. The bacteria count in bottled water is much higher than in tap water, and varies according to the temperature at which it is stored, and can be very high if someone has drunk the water from the bottle.

This is not to say that the bacteria in bottled water are harmful if drunk – the acid in your stomach is perfectly well able to kill bacteria at these levels, however when injected intravenously, they can cause infections.

Distilled water

Distilled water is boiled and then condensed to ensure it is free of all minerals, and people could be excused for thinking that it might be sterile. However, the end use of distilled water is in machinery and there is no requirement for the water to be clean in terms of bacteria count. Indeed the condensing plates and bottling plants are often low tech, and dirty.

5) Hot water from a tap

The water in a domestic hot water tank is not hot enough to kill all bacteria. If the tank has been warmed and cooled, the bacteria count can grow.

6) Toilet water

It could be argued that pointing out the dangers of drawing water out of a toilet is stating the obvious, but having it there – and not at the bottom of the list – makes the point that the other sources of water below it are *really* dangerous.

There was some debate in the drafting process about whether the harm reduction advice to take water from the cistern rather than the bowl, but we didn't for two reasons:

* firstly, most public toilets have the cisterns secured and inaccessible; and
* secondly where people can access cisterns they can usually access a tap.

7) Puddle water

As with toilet water this is on the poster to highlight the serious nature of the risks associated with water that could be contaminated with blood.

The advice to catch rain water instead was suggested by homeless drug users, who described it as a harm reduction strategy they had developed.

8) Part-used ampoule

Many injecting drug users underestimate the risks of sharing the source of water that they use for preparing their drugs for injection.

Because ampoules of water for injections 'feel' medical, safe and sterile, injectors will sometimes choose to take water from a part used ampoule. Clearly this carries a very high risk of viral infection (hep C, hep B, HIV), and this is highlighted by the position of the opened ampoule below water from toilets and puddles.

9) Shared cup

Too often when there is a group of injectors together in a room, the source of water used for preparing drugs for injection, is a single cup of water.

Sometimes this same cup is used to draw water to clean injecting equipment, and to repeatedly draw water to prepare drugs for injection.

This presents a significant risk of blood borne virus transmission, and one of the key functions of the poster is to highlight this risk and danger - which many injectors are not aware of, or underestimate.

There was some debate during the peer review process as to whether the ampoule was higher risk than the cup, but as the ampoule has a limited volume it is unlikely that it could have been contaminated by more than one person, whereas the cup could have been contaminated by many – hence it's position at the bottom of the table.

Last edited:
dude not a chance where i live this. the purity or bottled and tap water varies region to region. People might be reading this where the tap water is diluted and use that over sealed bottled water. Im not hating on your post im just saying i do not think where i live i would ever put tap water in my veins.

Bacteriostatic water is safer than sterile water, especially when you plan on having your solution sit around for longer than a few minutes/hours.

Seeing as bacteriostatic water is water with a small amount of benzyl alcohol added to it, I'd agree that its safer/more sterile than plain water.

Water in new york city is barely safe enough to drink, id sure as hell never stick that in my veins lmao.

i agree with poster above me lol im scared to make fuckin kool aid with water out of the tap in my region let alone put it directly in me

Water in new york city is barely safe enough to drink, id sure as hell never stick that in my veins lmao.

Say what??? Tap water in NYC is consistently rated among the best in the United States. The tap water in NYC comes from upstate New York reservoirs and are treated at state of the art facilities before being pumped into NYC.

Also, people tend to forget that most tap water (probably all) is chlorinated, which does an amazing job at wiping out bacteria. In fact, it is mainly this chlorination of water which makes the bacteria count of tap water so much lower then bottled water (which is generally not chlorinated). The result of this is that tap water almost always has lower bacteria count then bottled water, but bottled water TASTES better because it does not contain chlorine. So, from a harm reduction standpoint, tap water is far safer. -DG

Yeah, NYC has extremely clean water compared to many municipalities & cities, don't know where you heard that.

what about saline?

depends what kind. there are injectable saline ampules that you can get which are perfect for IV use, they would be included in the #1 place on the heirachy according to this report. they're generally what i use, otherwise i use boiled tap water or just tap water; i'm patient enough for it to cool down and smart enough to know when i'm going to need it so i prepare esrly.

you don't want to go injecting other saline solutions, ie as hood said, contact lense solutions. if you're unsure check with a store assistant or whatever where you're acquiring them from.

I'm skeptical that tap water is superior to bottled water for injection. I believe your claim that there is less bacteria in tap water, but I'm under the impression that these low levels of bacteria are omnipresent, and the additives in tap water can cause cumulative harm that water contamination in the order of bacteria within bottled water wont, as it will be fought off by our immune system. I'm by no means positive I'm correct, so feel free to correct me.

I'm skeptical that tap water is superior to bottled water for injection. I believe your claim that there is less bacteria in tap water, but I'm under the impression that these low levels of bacteria are omnipresent, and the additives in tap water can cause cumulative harm that water contamination in the order of bacteria within bottled water wont, as it will be fought off by our immune system. I'm by no means positive I'm correct, so feel free to correct me.

Low levels of bacteria are omnipresent; this is why it is ideal to use a preservative in your sterile water for injection, like (but not limited to) 0.9% benzyl alcohol.

Regular tap water is the next best thing IMO. I would never use tap water again though (I have plenty of bacteriostatic water).

Hierarchy of Water Sources for Injecting Drug Users

The water used to dissolve drugs for injection can be a source of blood borne virus transmission, and bacterial infections. The water risks poster is designed to inform drug users attending needle and syringe programmes about the relative risks of different sources of water, and to present them in a clear hierarchy of risk.

Below is a detailed description of why the sources of water are listed in the order that they are.

Unopened ampoule
The 'gold standard' for safety, an ampoule of water for injections means that the water used for dissolving the drugs isn't going to be the source of viral or bacterial infection.

Boiled water
Boiling water in a kettle will kill virtually all organisms, and using boiled water from a kettle is the advice to injectors who do not have an ampoule of water for injections.
Although it is true that to guarantee that even the most resistant pathogens are killed the water should be boiled for several minutes, in practice the additional benefits are few and advice to boil water in a pan is problematic because:

• the water takes time to cool, and could become contaminated during cooling;

• the pan or lid used to boil the water could be contaminated; and

• the advice is unlikely to be followed, and there is a risk that injectors will take the view that if they can't follow the advice, then they might as well not bother doing anything because they are taking a risk anyway.

Kitchen tap - cold water
The reason the poster differentiates the kitchen tap from other taps in the house is that the kitchen tap is usually fed from the rising main which, in the UK, is usually virutually or completely free from bacteria.

Water from bathroom taps may have been stored in a cold water tank in the roof where it can become much more contaminated with bacteria: not a problem if you're drinking it, the acid of the stomach is able to kill low levels of bacteria without a problem, but not so good if the water is being injected.

Bottled water
The constant advertising and marketing of bottled water has created a strong perception in the public psyche of it as a pure, safe source of water that is better than tap water.

Certainly in the UK it is open to debate whether this is true in terms of drinking water – the UK has a very good safety record for our drinking water which is pure and free from contamination. But for use as a liquid for dissolving drugs for injection, there is no debate: tap water is almost always better than bottled water because the bacteria count will be lower. The bacteria count in bottled water is much higher than in tap water, and varies according to the temperature at which it is stored, and can be very high if someone has drunk the water from the bottle.

This is not to say that the bacteria in bottled water are harmful if drunk – the acid in your stomach is perfectly well able to kill bacteria at these levels, however when injected intravenously, they can cause infections.

Distilled water
Distilled water is boiled and then condensed to ensure it is free of all minerals, and people could be excused for thinking that it might be sterile. However, the end use of distilled water is in machinary and there is no requirement for the water to be clean in terms of bacteria count. Indeed the condensing plates and bottling plants are often low tech, and dirty.

Hot water from a tap
The water in a domestic hot water tank is not hot enough to kill all bacteria. If the tank has been warmed and cooled, the bacteria count can grow.

Toilet water
It could be argued that pointing out the dangers of drawing water out of a toilet is stating the obvious, but having it there – and not at the bottom of the list – makes the point that the other sources of water below it are really dangerous.

There was some debate in the drafting process about whether the harm reduction advice to take water from the cistern rather than the bowl, but we didn't for two reasons:

• firstly, most public toilets have the cisterns secured and inaccesable; and

• where people can access cisterns they can usually access a tap.

Puddle water
As with toilet water this is on the poster to highlight the serious nature of the risks associated with water that could be contaminated with blood.

The advice to catch rain water instead was suggested by homeless drug users, who described it as a harm reduction strategy they had developed.

Part-used ampoule
Many injecting drug users underestimate the risks of sharing the source of water that they use for preparing their drugs for injection.
Because ampoules of water for injections 'feel' medical, safe and sterile, injectors will sometimes choose to take water from a part used ampoule. Clearly this carries a very high risk, and this is highlighted by the position of the opened ampoule below water from toilets and puddles.

Shared cup
Too often when there is a group of injectors together in a room, the source of water used for preparing drugs for injection, is a single cup of water.

Sometimes this same cup is used to draw water to clean injecting equipment, and to repeatadly draw water to prepare drugs for injection.

This presents a significant risk of blood borne virus transmission, and one of the key functions of the poster is to highlight this risk and danger - which many injectors are not aware of, or underestimate.

There was some debate during the peer review process as to whether the ampoule was higher risk than the cup, but as the ampoule has a limited volume it is unlikely that it could have been contaminated by more than one person, whereas the cup could have been contaminated by many – hence it's position at the bottom of the table.
Not my work, but seemed like someone did a good job here. Can't link to source, take no credit or responsibility, but there it is.

go to a pharmacy or wal-mart and buy a 5 dolalr bottle of Arm and Hammer Sterile saline wash for the nose. Spray into spooon, and walaaa! : )

This particular bottle is a spray bottle which is tightly sealed, I've been using it for years with no infections- just remember to wash the nozzle with bleach if u leave the bottle with the cap off ppl!

Great thread BB.

The best thing is the sterile water given out at needle exchanges. I would always pick up a box full of those little blue waters.