View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hearing voices after an acid trip

no_pun_intended

Greenlighter
A few months ago, I tried LSD for the first time. Without going too in depth, the trip went poorly. My first memories of it were of a beautiful experience that I hope to seek again someday, however after about the first twenty minutes, my memory gets kinda shotty. I can only recall brief and confusing snippets of that night. A friend of mine, also tripping for the first time that night, had kinda lost it; he laughed maniacally throughout the night, could not be calmed down, and ended up with a broken nose and concussion. The rest of the details don't really matter, so I'll get on to my main question/topic.

A few weeks after that experience, I was laying in bed trying to sleep. As is common, I was letting my mind wander (not dreaming, just thinking). While thinking, it is a normal occurrence for one to envision sounds in their mind, however the difference between imagined sounds that are related to one's thoughts and actual sounds is very easily noticeable. Anyway, in my imagination, I was thinking about someone laughing. Before I could realize what was happening, this "imagined laughter" started to transition to real laughter, very similar to the laughter of my unfortunate friend during the awful trip several weeks prior. As the sound became "realer" (it was now as if someone was in the room with me, truly laughing) and louder, it took control of me, and I found myself unable to do anything to stop it. It was maddening and panicking to say the least. As the sound grew and grew, I was eventually able to jerk myself upright, finally stopping it. After about an hour, I fell into an uneasy sleep.

The next incedent didn't occur until weeks later. It was a similar situation. I was in bed, and the sounds arose from everyday imagined sounds (if that makes any sense). This time however, it was voices. I did not recognize them, and though they were speaking english, the words did not connect in a logical way. Remembering my previous experience, I attempted to jerk myself upright to end the experience, however, I found myself to be in my first ever state of sleep paralysis (I was not actually asleep), preventing me from moving at all. This panicked me, as I had no idea what to do to stop the voices, which were unbearably loud at this point, blocking out all other though. I attempted to "fight" the voices with my own thoughts, but this "hurt" (very difficult to explain). After several seconds of struggling (though it felt like hours), I was able to free myself from the sleep paralysis, again stopping the sounds in my head.

These first two experiences were the most notable, though there have been many many more just like them. They usually occur when I am trying to fall asleep, however can sometimes occur daring everyday activities. After a few occured, I began to get curious, and would plan to simply allow the next one to "happen" (not do anything to stop it and see where it leads), and I attempted this at first; however, even though I was able to remain calm at first, having some experience with what was happening, I always begin to panic and freak out inside my head after a certain point.

It has been about 8 months since that acid trip, and these episodes have never occured before then. I would say about 50 have occured since. I am 16, therefore my only real outlet to healthcare professionals are through my parents. Id like to avoid them knowing about me using LSD, however I would definitely provide the information to them if it was necessary for the investigation/treatment of whatever is happening. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences, and if this is an issue that should be brought to the attention of my parents, or if it will resolve itself. Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

Oh no, not the sleep paralysis bs. You seem too young to be messing with these types of drugs if you're main concern is hiding it from your parents. Sleep paralysis is basically just a dream you're having right as you fall asleep or wake up, it's perfectly natural. It scares some people, some people love it, and many people never experience it. Time is dilated when you're dreaming and what may feel like minutes is actually only a few seconds while your body awakens.

The only thing you can really do is get a psych evaluation to ease your mind. Unfortunately they'll probably prescribe you some shitty sedative to combat dreaming essentially, which will cause way more problems down the road.

I think you're fine and just creating anxiety by thinking into this too much. Like i said, sleep paralysis is normal and the definition is misleading. Because, obviously if you are able to move a moment later, you were never paralyzed. It's really similar to having a nightmare, and what can a doctor really do about that other than prescribe shitty addictive drugs that induce a coma like sleep in which you mind becomes so unavailable that you don't even remember anything you dreamed about when you finally awaken.

If this one trip is causing you this much trouble, i would steer way clear of any more drugs.

Are you sure you took actual LSD, and not one of the many research chemicals that are not LSD that are sold as acid?

If it worries you, and you want answers talk to a medical professional, or see a therapist. Tell them that you took a psychedelic drug that could be LSD or could be a psychedelic research chemical, and that you are having sleep paralysis, hearing voices/laughter, and getting anxiety/panic because of this, and that this happens when you're falling asleep and when you're going about your day as you posted.

Avoid all drugs for the mean time both legal like alcohol or even cannabis depending on where you live, and illegal. Good luck.

Are you absolutely positive that you can hear the voices audibly, or are they just extremely loud in your head? I've had some crazy trips/comedowns where the voices sounded so loud and real that I was positive I must be audio hallucinating, but thinking back afterwards I realized they were just my thoughts. Idk man, sometimes the difference is so small it's hard to tell. The best piece of advice I can give is probably this; if the voices you hear sound like they're coming from a particular direction just like it does when someone's talking to you, then you probably are actually hearing things, but if you can hear voices but they aren't coming from any direction, it most likely isn't an audiable hallucination, and you're just hearing your thoughts SO loud and clearly, that it sounds like you're physically hearing it. Let us know if things improve or get worse, but if they do get worse, I highly recommend a psych evaluation. Good luck man.

My vote is for sleep paralyses too.
I had the sound of a fan turn into maniacal laughter one night.
If it happens again rock from side to side in bed and you'll be able to get up again...a narcoleptic friend shared that trick with me and it works like magic.

I don't want to be that guy but I would chill on the "L" at 16. You do not have the means to test your drugs or get yourself medical help/advice. Give it a couple years.

i had something fairly similar on an acid (amongst other things) comedown..
i could clearly hear voices of people id spoken to recently (but also not making any sense), which worried me at the time with the fear that maybe id "overdone it" but after a few days rest it was back to normal,

im also of the opinion its sleep paralysis and because you've worked yourself up about it so much every little incident makes you relate it to the trip when the first instance wasn't even until weeks after the actual trip..

id suggest finding some methods to make you sleep better and just to forget about the acid trip to put an end to your anxiety

if its really bothering you see a professional and get yourself checked out

its a shame your first time was such a negative experience but maybe its not such a bad thing given your age