• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

HBO's Life of Crime - documenting 36 years in the lives of three addicts

drowningman

Bluelighter
I've seen plenty of docs on similar subject matter but this one really stood out. No fancy editing or music for dramatic effect, just an unbiased, fly-on-the-wall look at the lives of three addicts in Newark NJ. I binged all 6 hours or so in a day, three installments spanning from the 84 to 2020. You could probably get away with just watching the third one, as the first half is mostly comprised of scenes from the earlier installments. I really recommend all three though, to become invested in the characters, and just for an interesting time capsule of seedy 80s and 90s Newark.

I watched it bit sad to see how it all ended
Don't wanna spoil anything so i won't say who has happy endings and who doesn't... but there were a couple... shocking moments in the end to say the least. My impression of how things would turn out kept changing.

It was sad just to see their decline from energetic and full of life, an almost youthful innocence even when they were shoplifting and scoring, enjoying the game of it all. Eventually the drugs start dominating over everything and you can practically see their soul being drained. Even when it's a rather predictable story we're all familiar with, I can't express how deeply personal and impactful this was.

don't really watch drug docs like this anymore cos they are usually crap and I've seen too many!

this one however is really worth seeing, something about the timelines and the portrayals of hope/denial/trauma/suffering cobined with how invested the viewer gets with the subjects - highly recommend

Deleris relapsed after the show was over and OD'd during the pandemic. RIP

On a lighter note the best comment I ever read about this series "Everyone in it talks like a cartoon rat"