• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Haven't Slept In 5 Days . Don't Know What To Do Anymore

^ I struggle to stay asleep but for me it is opiate related insomnia, my body is in mild WD after about 3hrs sleep which puts me at about 3 - 4:00am and cannot get back to sleep unless I take some opiates, in my case oxycodone, I only need a minimal dose which for me is 30-40mgs, just enough to take away WD.

The more drugs I take to get to sleep, the more insomnia I am going to experience down the track. I'm currently tapering Lyrica and Endep which used to drop me. All that crap is bouncing around my system has screwed with my sleep. But it was severe anxiety and panic attacks that started me off on the no sleep train.

It's weird that opiates give you insomnia...I get amazing sleep from heroin, personally. When I'm using H I stop taking Ambien entirely and my "sleep hygiene" is never better, I get a good solid 8-10 hours of dark, coma-like sleep every night. I feel so refreshed upon waking, it's amazing. It's just too bad that the drug that helps enable this is heroin, LOL

It's weird that opiates give you insomnia...I get amazing sleep from heroin, personally. When I'm using H I stop taking Ambien entirely and my "sleep hygiene" is never better, I get a good solid 8-10 hours of dark, coma-like sleep every night. I feel so refreshed upon waking, it's amazing. It's just too bad that the drug that helps enable this is heroin, LOL

I totally get the opiate induced insomnia. I get it almost every night. What ends up happening with me is that I need to take a dose semi-near my bedtime so I know I won't wake up too early needing the meds again. However, it kind of keeps me awake for 2-3 hours and boom - now it's 2 - 3:00 am and "now" I can actually crash. Then I wake up in an hour or two because now it's been nearly 5-6 hours since my last dose (every 6 hours). So I redose around 5 or 6:00 am and sometimes I can then sleep for 3-6 hours. Unfortunately, the meds are a double-edge sword.

Also, never used H. However, I used to use Ambien and let me tell you, that was some crazy shit. It would never put me asleep, just slightly less than wide awake and I'd do some whacky shit and not remember it. I'd also used to fall down, like when taking a lengthy piss and I'd be standing still for a little too long for the brain and I'd just go out! I actually hurt myself on a few occasions but I told the doc that I was done with that drug and I haven't fallen since. OP - good luck and BTW, don't discount Melatonin because it's not a "drug". It used to make me just the right kind of tired and I'd go out pretty quick from it. Can't hurt, right?

It depends why you're having insomnia. Did you recently come off of anything? Have you moved or had any anxiety provoking things happen in your life recently? I only ask because I came off of heroin and then moved 800 miles away and didn't sleep for about two weeks. Maybe an hour here and there... Eventually I got back into normalcy. But during those two weeks I took a lot of meds like xanax, and drank a bit. It didn't really help me sleep but it sure passed the time until I could. Just find some good weed and ride it out, imo.

Some natural things to try is make sure to have no screen time (tablets, phone, tv) for one hour before sleep. Don't read as that tends to also keep your mind awake. The best thing to do is listen to something that is very repetitive like deep house at a low volume...just low enough to hear. Another thing to do is write out the stresses of your day in a journal and put it to the side..it may help you compartmentalize them.

Personally I have had bad insomnia since I was a kid. I have tried all kinds of meds...the one that worked well, seroquel, made me gain weight and made my liver enzymes spike. I ended up trying a laundry list of medications till I landed on temazepam with .5mg of xanax. With this combo I can get about six hours interrupted by getting up and freaking out a little at night. I have anxiety disorders. The one thing I hated about seroquel was I would get sleep paralysis quite a bit more than on the temazepam.

Talk to your doctor. There may be a medical reason that you are not sleeping now. I would suggest keeping a sleep journal ie: the time you try to go to bed, when you get up to go to the bathroom, when you get out of bed, and your surroundings and mindstate while trying to sleep. Any tool you can give to your doctor will help them figure out what is going on with you.

i took 5mg saphris yesterday before bed, the first hour i was just very lightheaded and a little anxious and for some reason my nose got congested.

later i fell asleep and had a good 7hr sleep with some nice dreams.

It depends why you're having insomnia. Did you recently come off of anything? Have you moved or had any anxiety provoking things happen in your life recently? I only ask because I came off of heroin and then moved 800 miles away and didn't sleep for about two weeks. Maybe an hour here and there... Eventually I got back into normalcy. But during those two weeks I took a lot of meds like xanax, and drank a bit. It didn't really help me sleep but it sure passed the time until I could. Just find some good weed and ride it out, imo.

yes i do have anxiety, and the days leading up to the insomnia i had bad panic attacks.

Last edited:
Avoid benzos. They're not actually that good as sleeping aids (unless your insomnia is purely due to excessive anxiety) and in the long run make things worse. I'd suggest trying to get some promethazine, and if that isn't enough, try a low dose of seroquel. Do you have any idea where this insomnia may have come from?

Opiates to me are like doing stimulants even the ones that aren't derived from Thebaine. It's a paradoxical affect and from what I've read many people that have this issue are bi polar but I've never been diagnosed. When I used to shoot heroin I'd never get nodding even off of some fire. Instead I would talk very rapidly,have unlimited energy move and talk non stop, and would have sudden bursts of rage. If I had 50 bags in my pocket I'd stay up for a couple of days until my shit was gone(that is until I had a 40-50 bag a day habit).

Opiates to me are like doing stimulants even the ones that aren't derived from Thebaine. It's a paradoxical affect and from what I've read many people that have this issue are bi polar but I've never been diagnosed. When I used to shoot heroin I'd never get nodding even off of some fire. Instead I would talk very rapidly,have unlimited energy move and talk non stop, and would have sudden bursts of rage. If I had 50 bags in my pocket I'd stay up for a couple of days until my shit was gone(that is until I had a 40-50 bag a day habit).

H doesn't really make me tired per se, in fact its after the peak of the high is long gone that ill feel ready to hit the hay. Like ill do a shot and then 4 hours later or so Ill feel like I'm practically being dragged into sleep. I never resist, sleep is amazing :) not being able to sleep was one of the aspects of being a tweaker that I hated the most.

Do you use meth? Or are you manic/bipolar and in a manic phase? Or are you having a lot of stress and anxiety in your life right now?

I have heard that Ambien helps but I have never taken it, and I have never used meth, and I am not manic or bipolar. Good luck.

Last edited:
When i suffered ,and i still do most of the time ,from insomnia i would take one or a combination of these, promethazine, doxylamine, kratom, benzos, zopiclone, melatonin 0.5mg (any more than 1mg doesnt work for me) gabapentin/pregabalin, mirtazapine, amitriptyline . My organs are fucked from all the combos over the years

Yeah benzos help for 2 weeks if you have no tolerance but then benzos become the main reason for insomnia

If your insomnia is not from drug use like Amphetamine or any other stimulants and your xanax is not helping you either I recommend going to your doctor and they will most likely prescribe you a sleeping pill if they do not however any indica blend of weed smoked or taking orally in liqid form should do the trick but make sure its indica if you get a satieva blend it will only worsen your insomnia.

I disagree. Melatonin proved to be null, void, and insulting to my brain chemistry. I actually developed a complex because my friends at the time, who were mostly in twelve step programs, told me something MUST be wrong that 20 mg a melatonin didn't work.

Turns out there was. Anxiety is a very interesting disorder to have. For all intensive purposes, in my instance is was a GABA-related problem. GABA-ergenic drugs will put me out and into a nice relaxing sleep followed by a good alertness (ahem. when taken in humane, tame dosages.).

Seroquel? GOD I hate to even see that word. That shit is a chemical lobotomy. Isn't amazing how America will prescribe an atypical anti-psychotic ("hey I'm not your grandmas anti-psychotic!") for sleep, an off-label usage, but hear you're using Ativan 1-2mg for sleep and it's shit brix till sundown.

And don't give me that anti-addiction shpeel, doc. Atypical anti-psychotics have long term side effect profiles that make the potential for societal harm of benzodiazepines look like a kitten pawing at a German Shepard.

Edit:
please do not mistake my experience of having a gaba-ergenic sleep-related disorder, and my scoffing at anti-psychotics, as medical advice, bro. Only you know if something else is going on. Dig deep, because sleep deprivation does more than mess with your head, it affects nearly all organs.

tl;dr: go to a doctor. I'm in the business of harm-reduction, not increasing it because I vouch for benzos.

Last edited:
Avoid benzos. They're not actually that good as sleeping aids (unless your insomnia is purely due to excessive anxiety) and in the long run make things worse. I'd suggest trying to get some promethazine, and if that isn't enough, try a low dose of seroquel. Do you have any idea where this insomnia may have come from?

Temazepam is one of the few sleep aids that increase sleep quality. It should be a last resort as dependance is inevitable and people wouldn't be able to sleep without it.