• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Haven't Slept In 5 Days . Don't Know What To Do Anymore

mark87xx

Greenlighter
hello everyone

since last wednesday i haven't been able to sleep, i slept 2 hours the night before last night , but thats it.
i feel very tired but my brain just doesn't let me sleep. i feel weak and i don't know what to do anymore.
i tried benadryl and xanax which didn't really help.

this insomnia, which i never had in my life before, started last wednesday, during that time i had 1-2 panic attacks for 2-3 days, so i took xanax every time, but i think that messed me up. usually i only take xanax as needed.

Im thinking about going to a doc today and get a prescription, but then again what are the odds off them giving me something.

anyone have an idea ? or what kind of sleeping medication would work in my case ?

I used to (my psychiatrist thinks inappropriately) take 1-2mg of Ativan for my insomnia. When he wrote me the script he emphasized it was for panic attacks only. I agree with ovo, seroquel is lights out. Other alternatives include trazodone (typically 50-100mg, although I have known people who are up to 300mg), remeron (mirtazapine) and doxepin. When the shrink found out I was using Ativan for sleep, he put me on a combination of remeron (15 mg) and doxepin (75mg) since those are not controlled substances. Along with those drugs I have also been taking for a long time 900mg of neurontin (gabapentin) and 20mg of baclofen. Even with all those sedatives though, sometimes it's still not enough and I end up taking 10-20mg of melatonin as well.

As a fellow insomniac, I feel for you. A few weeks ago, I had been up about 60 hrs. continuously. Coming off of one particularly bad alcohol bender, I had been up about 80 hrs continuously. It sucks for sure. I would always feel like I was having an out-of-body experience after about 36-48 hours.

Last edited:
i was the OP and not slept for 6 days i would try and go to my local hospital pysch ward for an mental health assessment. There most be a an underlying condition if you have gone that long without sleep.

There must be more to it that mark87 isn't telling us. It could be the start of a drug induced psychosis. Either way Mark please medical assistance

OP are you in withdrawal? Have you been using stims? If not then you certainly need to see a doctor for this. The above posters gave good advice about taking some seroquel.. You can also try trazodone or anything similar to help you sleep.

Are you diagnosed with anxiety or bipolar disorder by chance?

no. as i said this is coming out of nowhere.

i just got back from the doc and he gave me saphris 5mg before bed time. i think saphris is similar to seroquel?

ill try it out tonight

I hope you are able to finally get some sleep, insomnia is a bitch for sure. Never heard of saphris though.

Seroquel will certainly make you sleep alright and you'll probably stay quite drowsy for at least 12 hours.
For me it's not a good feeling as I always feel deeply tired and lethargic. Besides I'm always super slow on the next day.

Why are you not sleeping? IMO/E there's always a reason. Sometimes we don't know what it is.
Try to see what's going on with your life and health in general to prevent you from experiencing this more often.
I don't know if saphris is similar to Seroquel.

Eventually you'll going to sleep regardless. At this point I imagine you are trying too hard and that tend to get in the way.

Hope you get better!
Erik

You can always supplement with OTC melatonin as well. Even with all the sedatives I take, I still end up having to take anywhere between 10-20mg to fall asleep.

i do have anxiety and panic but usually can keep it under control.

i dont know of any other health problems that i might have

yes im trying really hard. like im already scared of goin to bed tonight because i know i might not sleep. this thought has been there since day 1 of this sleep depreviation. its like im
in bed and tired but cant fall asleep.

like im already scared of goin to bed tonight because i know i might not sleep. this thought has been there since day 1 of this sleep depreviation. its like im
in bed and tired but cant fall asleep.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything else you do in bed besides sleep (or have sex)? Some advice my therapist once gave me is reserve the bed ONLY for those two activities - no reading, no TV, etc. Over time, if you're unable to sleep, sit in a chair and just look at the bed and eventually you will get sleepy. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't but it might not be worth a try. But worrying about not sleeping all but guarantees you're not going to sleep. I know for me, the bed came to represent the one place I couldn't sleep. I remember on several long cross-country road trips, I was so tired I was starting to nod off at the wheel so I pulled off the road, got a room, crawled into bed and BAM! All of a sudden I'm wide awake. You don't want to train your brain that the bed is the one place you can't sleep, which is what I succeeded in doing.

Last edited:
^ I struggle to stay asleep but for me it is opiate related insomnia, my body is in mild WD after about 3hrs sleep which puts me at about 3 - 4:00am and cannot get back to sleep unless I take some opiates, in my case oxycodone, I only need a minimal dose which for me is 30-40mgs, just enough to take away WD.

The more drugs I take to get to sleep, the more insomnia I am going to experience down the track. I'm currently tapering Lyrica and Endep which used to drop me. All that crap is bouncing around my system has screwed with my sleep. But it was severe anxiety and panic attacks that started me off on the no sleep train.

if you randomly cant sleep for almost a whole week for no reason you need serious help. thats super unhealthy. you could probably get ativan, or at least some benzo, if you try out a few other doctors because this is pretty serious

Here's a list of good sleep medication:

promethazine
hydroxyzine
mirtazapine
pipamperone

Have you triend temazepam or flunitrazepam yet?

As everyone is different and responds to differently to substances ... I'd def consult ur doctor to find the root of the problem. I use to be prescribed 400mg of seroquel for years and yes it will most def knock anyone out but the next day I was groggy and down. I was actually prescribed meds for the AM to help me perk up in the morning. Other sleeping meds which i unfortunately can't remember the name of made me sleep walk to the point I got scared I would go outside ! Also, very strange and lucid dreams. Now I don't take anything watch my diet and caffeine intake as well as another post said I don't use my bedroom for anything except for sleep... So no TV in my bedroom. So yea maybe try seroquel as a tonight if I don't sleep I might claw my eyes out but IMO i don't recommend it for long term use and getting off of it was very hard and I had RLS when lowering my dose to get off of it. Best of luck !

I've been up for damn near a month straight going through methadone withdrawals and I genuinely feel for you man. I would see shadow people out of the corner of my eyes and have auditory hallucinations,it was miserable. I finally said fuck it I'm not going to lay down just because its bed time I'm going to try to do things and not constantly think about needing to go to sleep. once you start obsessing about needing to go to sleep it won't happen so I did shit until I literally crashed the fuck out.
Also though if your med is anything like Seroquel it will do the trick. I was on that in detox and chloralhydrate and they both did the trick! Goodluck man sleep deprivation is torture!

Been there dude. Not many things are worse than a bad stretch of insomnia. Try not to freak yourself out at night and worry about it as this will just reinforce it. Distract your mind and let yourself drift off.

Amitriptyline and seroquel work well for extended periods. Temazepam and z-drugs are also good but you really don't wanna be taking that every night.

A decent strain of cannabis is hands down the best regular sleep aid imo if you're down with that.