Have you lost any friends or family to suicide?

CharlesTheHammer

Bluelighter
I actually lost my best ever friend and and another best friend in 3 years. But only one committed suicide, the other died of a freak heart attack in his sleep at age 40. He was about 8 years older than me. That guy(Scott) died in 2002, and my friend Mike hung himself in 2005.

I dont exactly know why Mike decided to kill himself, as we hadn't been in contact for a few years, due to a stupid argument, and due to the fact that he now lived 2.5 hours from me. :\

All I know is that he had come 'out of the closet' back in 1991, and informed only his 2 closest friends about it(Rob and I), then 2 years later, he met a much older man named Jim who was 53 at the time, and Mike was only 25. They were boyfriends til early '05, when Jim broke up with him because Mike was letting his life go downhill, and using harder drugs(Jim never used drugs). Then 4 months later, Mike called Jim and told him he needed to talk to him, but Jim needed to get to work, and couldnt do it. Then a few days later, Jim found out that Mike was dead.

It was extremely selfish, because Mike's son was only about 15 at the time, and he was devastated that his Dad was dead, but he told Jim at the funeral that Mike had been wanting to end his life for a while by then.... Imagine dealing with that as a 15 year old!:(

Best friend in high school killed himself at 16, and he had a new born daughter.

His girlfriend became a drug addict, his sister became a drug addict, his daughter has behavioral problems, and his mom is barely holding it together dealing with her sons death and all of the above.

Not cool.

yeah my uncle when i was like 3 months old. he was depressed all his life and my dad told me he had went into his bathtub, put a pillow over his heart, and shot himself in the chest and died. my dad and uncle found him a couple days later like that.

i too have suicidal thoughts when my depression gets out of hand, but havnt acted on them.

my favorite cousin, the one that convinced my mom that weed wasný a threat to you health.
That was some 30 years ago.
he couldn;t bear life anymore, and drank a bottle of whiskey, and lay on the traintrack.
Actually the only time ever i saw my dad cry.......
he was my rolemodel, next to my dad of course!

I'm sure many 15 year olds have had the same wishes, so I'm not seeing it as too erratic/absurd.

I had a friend that unintentionally overdosed, that's about it though.

I think you didnt understand what I was saying. I didnt mean that his 15 year old son(Mike Jr.) was thinking about suicide, his father, Mike, had told him he(Mike) wanted to kill himself, and had apparently been telling his son that for a few years. Then finally he did it......

I'm just saying that when you're that young, and your father is telling you he wants to die, then he kills himself, that would be rough to deal with, cause at a young age, he might blame himself in some way. Not only that, but that was his Dad!

I think you didnt understand what I was saying. I didnt mean that his 15 year old son(Mike Jr.) was thinking about suicide, his father, Mike, had told him he(Mike) wanted to kill himself, and had apparently been telling his son that for a few years. Then finally he did it......

I'm just saying that when you're that young, and your father is telling you he wants to die, then he kills himself, that would be rough to deal with, cause at a young age, he might blame himself in some way. Not only that, but that was his Dad!

Yeah I understood that fully, I still think undergoing that yourself is much worse.

Yeah...had a really awesome friend kill himself nearly a year ago. In my sport, we see people die and we deal with it as a group...but suicide is something altogether different. We know how to deal with people who love life dying too early....but people who seemingly love life and take their own...there's no proper way to deal with that. It still affects all of us so much it's ridiculous. :\

Yeah...had a really awesome friend kill himself nearly a year ago. In my sport, we see people die and we deal with it as a group...but suicide is something altogether different. We know how to deal with people who love life dying too early....but people who seemingly love life and take their own...there's no proper way to deal with that. It still affects all of us so much it's ridiculous. :\

What sport are you involved in? I'm an Olympic curler!

Just kidding!=D

A lot of us have probably at least contemplated suicide for a split second or more, but actually going through with it is another thing. My friend Mike hung himself, and I just cant imagine that! What if you change your mind a second after you kick whatever it is your standing on out from underneath you? Its too late then..... Not to mention the fact that unless you hang the old fashioned way, dropping down from a certain height, which should kill you immediately, you are going to suffer for a long while before you die, and you'd be thinking about your choice the whole time!:|

One of my best snowboarding friends (a probation officer actually) ate her service revolver... she was only like 28. So sad.

When I was a teenager actually, my sister had cancer (she's fine now), and I can remember this girl, she was so beautiful, probably the most beautiful girl i've ever seen, she was only like 14 or so and she had lost a leg to lukemia, and I would see her every monday (during the chemo sessions she shared with my sister) and when she didn't show up i wondered what happened... She intentionally overdosed herself on some junk she was prescribed for cancer pain. I think that's what started my fucked-up infatuation with opiates.