Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

have u ever refused to leave bar at closing time

beagleboy

Bluelighter
I am a U.S citzen, and I've been trying to get some info on a cultural phenomana my friend has spoken to me about that susposedly happens in your country. He said that it involves Aussie patrons refusing to leave drinking establishments at closing time. I have tried to google this, but with no luck.

I admire your country and its colorful citizens. As I am still able to travel abroad I have in mind visiting Australia on Holidays for a fortnight. I just dont want to get in trouble while vacationing Aus.

So, um.. to sums things up, "have you witnessed or have you heard a story about patrons refusing to leave the bar after closing time and causing a major scene" or "what happens to a lush (U.S. term for alcoholic) that demands service after last call"?

This is a non issuse really, nor is it a culrural phenomena. I think you have been misled.

Most mjor cities have bars all in certain districts of town all fairly close.

To keep noice down and kurb violence, Brisbane city for instance has a 3am lockout rule on all clubs.
If you walk out of the venue after 3am you are not allowed back him. The idea is spread out the volume of people going home at once. When everyone all spills out at once at 5am there can be problems, but generally most people are well enough behaved.

All bars I know have large bouncers, generally the're Tongan, Samoan or something along those lines. They will have no trouble throwing you out.

In some places people will often order more than one drink for themselves at last call.

I do remember hearing stories about people getting narky and somewhat argumentative/violent at last call in more outback / rougher sort of areas. Something about how the person who called last call would immediately duck down behind the bar after calling it so as not to get hit with projectiles/other things. Not sure how much of that story was fact and how much was fiction. I know Bunderberg pubs can be pretty rough.

I was in Bundy a couple months back Townsville has rougher clubs/pubs tbh.

So, um.. to sums things up, "have you witnessed or have you heard a story about patrons refusing to leave the bar after closing time and causing a major scene" or "what happens to a lush (U.S. term for alcoholic) that demands service after last call"?

I think the lockout times for clubs/pubs here in Perth is 4-5am. Most of time people will leave before the closing times but for the people that remain, the clubs and pubs will stop serving alcohol and when this happens, their last customers will slowly but surely start to leave.

For the ones that want to keep partying, the bounces will ask them to leave, if they don't, the bouncers will "help" them leave and then if they continue to cause a scene the police will get involved.

It's pretty chilled over here, you just have to keep an eye out.

Maybe when your not a local, or maybe it was all the backpackers up and down flinders st.

Mostly, it's probably all the AJ's in the town.

I mean you guys have a club called the Mad Cow, lol.

LOL indeed! No self respecting person even looks at that place.

And yeah, AJ's are a huge pain in everyone's ass :\

And yeah, AJ's are a huge pain in everyone's ass :\

When I was in the army I found civilians to be a royal pain in the ass on nights out. People would try to fight us because they hate the war in Iraq/Afghanistan. Like seriously wtf.

The only time I've witnessed this happen was on the night of Daylights Saving change-over at a rave/dnb club. The club closed an hour early due to daylights saving and a lot of people were reluctant to leave claiming they still had an extra hour before the official close time.

This was in WA also, a state in Australia which hasn't had DLS for decades.. but at the time, it was running a 3 year trial, so obviously this only contributed to the frustration from punters, i think the fact that most were on MDMA allowed for this to move along much more smoothly then if everyone was drunk.

Remember going to a pub in the city in Melbourne that when it was closing time the publican just pulled the blinds down locked the door and kept serving.

When I was in the army I found civilians to be a royal pain in the ass on nights out. People would try to fight us because theuy hate the war in Iraq/Afghanistan. Like seriously wtf.

and having lived in an army town for a few years there is the other side to this.

which is the aj's who think they are gods and act like assholes and believe we as civilians should kiss their ass.

Yeh there are always quite a few dickheads in the army. I was lucky to be in a pretty good platoon, mostly young guys (18-21) mostly on GAP year.

I find it interesting that being back in WA which only has the SAS (which no one hears about for good reason) no one knows anything about the army. I've had people ask me if I got paid to be in the army! They where studying at university.

I miss shooting and blowing up shit and 50c coronas to celebrate. I seriously think the army somehow pays no tax on booze cause they sell coronas for 50c on bases and apparently they make a profit.

Ok I'll stop derailing this thread now. beagleboy keep us posted during your travels and let us know if you witness any lockout time situations.

The only time I've witnessed this happen was on the night of Daylights Saving change-over at a rave/dnb club. The club closed an hour early due to daylights saving and a lot of people were reluctant to leave claiming they still had an extra hour before the official close time.

This was in WA also, a state in Australia which hasn't had DLS for decades.. but at the time, it was running a 3 year trial, so obviously this only contributed to the frustration from punters, i think the fact that most were on MDMA allowed for this to move along much more smoothly then if everyone was drunk.

I remember a night like this, conversely, I miss Daylight Savings.

I know Bunderberg pubs can be pretty rough.

haha they definitely can be but they're more dives than anything. i spent a weekend there last year and it had improved from when we'd go down for a night or two to check out the night life just after turning 18.

I was in Bundy a couple months back Townsville has rougher clubs/pubs tbh.

you didn't wander too from off bourbong st (the main strip) did you?=D

there's not much in bundaberg apart from the beach and that's still a drives away from the city. fuck rum.

I think the lockout times for clubs/pubs here in Perth is 4-5am.

a very, very small minority of pubs/clubs. the closing time for most is 12 or 1 on a friday or saturday night.

as for people refusing to leave? nah, i don't see it very often. having said that, drunk idiots are known to do a lot of undignified things at the end of a night out.

i frequently refuse to leave at closing time because i need to collect my music equipment, mister hostile amphetamine steroid bouncer man sir.
:\

gold coast indy500,about 5 or so years ago the clubs are open til 7am.and it gets fucken loose.a good mate and his associates run security at a few venues,and once everyone had been kicked out..and the terrible lights turn on.the crowd was ushered out,and about10 of us stayed drinking. with cleaners working around us..( this is risky for the club involved as they an loose their liquor license)

we then headed to the infamous Bicky Bar- day club. It opens at 3am and is open until midday.lol.no luquor license,no staff have the time,the windows are blacked out,and its just filled with couches..worst bit---only hot water taps in toilets..best bit---when the bouncers rock up after finnishing work loaded with all the confiscated cotraband...its a lucky dip...

About 10 years ago,11 or12 people wefe hospitalised on the Gold Coast at a day bar from bad batch of fanta( GHB)

heard of similar in newcastle where a nightclub

Make surd you come to the goldie beagleboy....

And that 3 am lockout is a load of shit.causes more punch ons when theres a bunch of drunk fucks angry
because theyre not allowed back in the club...

You tube fights in surfers paradise Eagleboy.its harmless here.

Ugh, hate the hot water only in toilets thing. I suppose if they don't have a liquor license they'd be extra keen on people paying for any water they drink.

^ Im not sure if its still allowed by law..and they have to give you water at the bar,whereas the day bar i spoke about wouldnt even do that..$7 waters..

Family in the valley only had luke warm water,and it was voted best club in oz 3 or 4years running..

I start grinding my teeth ad clicking my jaw just thinkng about those nights. Come out of the day club and its like your a vampire. Dont think the The tourist families in surfers that would seeus ever came back for holidays there..