• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

hating college.

gutstains

Bluelighter
so, this is my first year in college. it's a beautiful campus. beautiful location.
i just moved here from across the country, not knowing a single person.. hoping things would be better than they were where i was before.
but.
i am hating this 'college life'.
mostly the academic part of it. i have not enjoyed a single class yet, this is almost halfway through the second term.
last term i had a shit load of work and homework.. which i slacked tremendously because i just didn't care enough. but i did enough to pass.
this time, i don't really have any hw. thankfully..
but that is because i'm taking two art classes and sociology.
easy classes. because the two art classes are beginning, when i've already taken classes like these and know how to do everything and have done everything many times already..
so it's terribly. boring.

so next term.. i'll have to take different classes, meaning, it will most likely be classes with a lot of work again. and i just can't do it. i don't fucking care enough to put any effort into it.
and it seems like everyone else in college is bearing with it, and actually enjoying a class or two.

i really don't think i'm meant for college.. but i don't have anything else to be doing.
i just want to travel and photograph. but i can't do that without money. but it's not like i'm making any money in college, but just wasting it.

i'm too antisocial and avoidant to make any good friends. i have 'friends' in my dorm hall, but they are more of aquaintances.

is anyone else here in college, feeling the same way i do?

i kno the feeling but u need to atleast give it a few months. Dunno if u smoke weed at all but I would find that smoking before class would greatly diminish my chances of actually computing the information the professor was lecturing about

Im actually takin this semester off to weigh my options and see if I wanna go back part-time or fulltime student.

i used to smoke pot a lot. but it hasn't been working out too well smoking it here, now.
when ive smoked pot a few times after i moved up here, it made me really suspicious of people and incredibly sardonic.

i'm giving it to the end of the school year. which is in june or something.. i'm really thinking about taking a year off to travel. but the hardest part will be finding someone willing to do that with me..

sounds like u got the right idea, do whats best for you

I hated high school so I graduated early.

I hated college so I graduated early.

Now I'm out of college and I hate whatever it is I'm doing now.

I just hate things.

Sounds like you're getting it from both ends of the barrel; you're not at ease in the social element of the college experience and the academic stuff bores you or is unengaging or you're depressed and uninterested or whatever it is. Both of these issues carry over and influence and worsen the other. Maybe think about taking a semester off, move back in with the folks, go to a school that's closer to home or where you have more friends, you've got options. People run into problems when they start feeling trapped. There are always alternatives.

Don't try to tough it out if you hate it. Unless, like me, you already know you're going to hate whatever you do, then just try to pick the thing you hate the least. Like karate.

im feelin the point of view very good advice sir

Benefit said:
Maybe think about taking a semester off, move back in with the folks, go to a school that's closer to home or where you have more friends, you've got options. People run into problems when they start feeling trapped. There are always alternatives.

Don't try to tough it out if you hate it. Unless, like me, you already know you're going to hate whatever you do, then just try to pick the thing you hate the least. Like karate.

i can't move back in with my parents. i hate living with them or being around them for any extended period of time. i used to live in florida, but when i moved here to college in oregon, my mom decided to move to washington (i wouldnt let her move to oregon). my dad lives in maryland.
so i can't move back home to florida.. well i can, if i go to school there, where, yes, a lot of my friends go, and i've thought about it a lot. but i absolutely hate it in florida.. the weather for the most part. and lack of beauty in the outdoors.

the only thing i know i won't hate doing is travelling and photographing. but i know i'll hate everything else. like working to get money to travel.
but hell, it better be worth it..

Lol born n raised in the sunshine state i kno what u talkin about but ive grown to adjust cant see myself living anywhere else. Weather is a problem? We have some of the best weather yearlong except for the rainy months in summer and the humidity

Kilgore said:
military?

nooo fuckin way.
well. i don't know. they have photographers for that shit right?

i don't think i want to surround myself with those people though.

what school do you go to? where did you move from?

dreamgirlie19 said:
what school do you go to? where did you move from?

university of oregon.
i moved here in late september from living in orlando, florida for 18 years.

Do you think it is a shock to not be around familiar things so you are looking for reasons to not like it? I would assume Oregon is drastically different than any part of Florida.

What is your major? What year are you in (i dont think i saw that).

What do you think your going to do? You think your just going to drop out of college, and back home everything is going to be fun and exciting? Do you have some plan, like a job or something set up? You think it'll be any better?

Life's what you make it, make it happen.

As for classes, maybe try different course. Some classes, while it is work, are alot of fun. Polysci and Logic come to mind.

Join a club there. I'm pretty much in the same boat regarding your social life and how, at times, it can make you go crazy. But remember, it's gonna suck wherever you go if you have that attitude. There is certainly something to do, even once a week. I play dodgeball twice a week, for example.

Also remember that college is the easiest and most fun way to get financial security with little risk. Which, in my opinion, kinda sucks, but whatever.

Don't expect to enjoy the bulk of your classes. I'm majoring in a field I actually enjoy until I get into medicine (which is my true passion). Even though I'm studying interesting things few of my classes really do it for me. I don't loathe them but they leave me cold (except for immunology, it's great). Looking at both my undergrad degrees there have only been a handful of courses I really enjoyed.

You just want to "travel and take photos"? Save up some money and then try it for a year. There are a few people who live this kind of lifestyle...settling somewhere only to work a random job for a while until they get enough money to go "travelling" again. But how are you going to make enough money to pay your expenses and save for your photography trip at the same time? It's not going to work.

You're in college for a reason - your parents can afford it, and they realize the value of an education. The problem is that YOU don't see the value of it yet, because you haven't had any time to think about your life goals. I was in the same position several years ago (still might be!).

In my first 3 years of college I didn't give a shit. It took me several more years to realize that good things come from hard work. All of my classes this term are extremely intense...especially organic chemistry. I actually enjoy reading my organic textbook, as well as physics. I find it all very interesting and enjoyable. I just spent 5 hours in lab extracting eugenol from cloves and it was so FUN that I wish I could come into lab on my own and mess around! Actually now that I think back, I would have been smarter to major in biology or biochem, because there would have been a lot more lab jobs available to me. Instead I majored in political science, which taught me to read, write, and think critically (all good things), but it just wasn't challenging or stimulating.

As TheodoreRoosevelt said, life is what you make it. Would I rather someone just pay me to surf the internet all day? Of course. But that gets old really quick. After a while, you'll start to see how hard work, and investing yourself in something, feels really good. Attitude is everything.

The problem is....there is no way I can communicate this idea to you effectively. You have to experience it yourself. You have to reach that point where you feel like, "OK, what am I actually doing here?" Then you can start down the long road of identifying your goals and making a plan.

You have to get to that point first, and therefore my recommendation to you is to do whatever you want. If you feel like dropping out and working for a year or two is a good idea, then DO it. Don't hesitate. If I were you, I would finish out the term, find a full time job, and do the work thing for a while. Once you've had enough, you can go back to school.

Like protovack said, try working full time for awhile if it is strictly the academic side that is burning you out. I took off a year to work, just needed a break from school.

Regular college definitely isn't for everyone. The best advice I can think of is to try to figure out what you really want to do professionally, as a career, and figure out the quickest way to get into that profession. Maybe an internship would be better than graduating from college, or maybe a technical school that specializes in what you're interested in. Definitely try to talk to people in the field you want to enter.

To an extent, I do regret taking the time off from school, just try to not take off more time than you really need.

dreamgirlie19 said:
Do you think it is a shock to not be around familiar things so you are looking for reasons to not like it? I would assume Oregon is drastically different than any part of Florida.

What is your major? What year are you in (i dont think i saw that).

mostly just the lack of knowing people is a bit tedious.
but i have been hanging out with the kids in my hall. i only had just a few friends i ever hung out with in florida a lot anyway. well. it would be super amazing if one of them transferred here.. but that probably won't happen. they're all enjoying themselves where they are.
oregon is the complete opposite of florida. and i love everything about it.

i'm majoring in photo.. and i'm just a freshman.

protovack said:
You have to get to that point first, and therefore my recommendation to you is to do whatever you want. If you feel like dropping out and working for a year or two is a good idea, then DO it. Don't hesitate. If I were you, I would finish out the term, find a full time job, and do the work thing for a while. Once you've had enough, you can go back to school.
i think i'm going to get a full time job in summer.. not think. i will. and it's not like i have anywhere else to go but stay in oregon (not that i want to go anywhere else to stay for the summer)
and maybe after a whole summer of working, it will give me a better idea on which way i want to head. for that coming year at least..

Experience is the best teacher...

GS- I just started my first semester of college in 12 years. The first time around, I did it like it was a job. I went to nursing school. SO NOT me. BUT that job afforded me the opportunity to work for a company who supplied nurses to hospitals all over the country. So I was able to travel all over the country: Honolulu, Las Vegas and I stayed in Seattle for seven years. I didn't appreciate that when I was in school or even when I traveled. What was missing in my life was my happiness with myself ( I was depressed and didn't know it) No matter where I went or what I did, I was unhappy. I couldn't make friends if I tried. I lived alone in Seattle for seven years and I have not one friend from there. So I can understand your feeling detached.
I now live in NYC and I have a few friends and I sure love taking classes that I like!
I can totally relate to the antisocial and avoident behavior/feeling. I still feel that way, BUT I am happier now.
So take a deep look at why you are not content. Get advisement if needed. Try not to push college off so quickly. Without an education, only a few people can afford to do what they like, say traveling:)
Plus it is a lot more difficult to get back to college when you are on your own. I can tell you I sure appreciate it now. Find a school with a great photography program and go somewhere a little more populated! haha.
Best Wishes to you.

Wow, good thread, i FUCKIN HATE COLLEGE too.

I aint goin for any reason other than i need health insurance. so i signed up, 4 classes, 12 credits. spanish, art, art, and art. Can you tell i like art? (heh)

Well guess what. I FUCKING HATE ALL MY CLASSES. I cant stand it. i get enraged just going to the one class, portrait drawing. i been drawin since birth. and this stupidass sour-cunt old bitch with a BA in ART HISTORY is sittin there tryin to tell me im drawing it wrong when my shit is better than the beginner baby-steppers in the class, and the TEACHER cant even draw for shit. Then she gets mad at me because i refuse to use artists gimmicks, which dont teach you how to draw by knowing the anatomy of the human body, but by using stupid little tricks to make the proportions such as "a head should be five eyes wide, one eyes space on the left, the real eye, one eyes space between the eyes, the real eye, then another eyes space." WOW! Do you think that maybe the fact that ive studied anatomy since i was 12 or 13 because DRAWING THE HUMAN FORM IS MY FAVORITE TYPE OF ART might mean that i dont NEED to use those types of beginners tricks anymore?

Fuckin old whore. I almost kicked her in the teeth everytime her stank-breath old ass stood behind me to "correct" me because i dont make solid cartoon outlines around every feature like im drawin for Disney.

Well i just had to vent a lil there, and thats just ONE class.

Im workin and goin to school and i rather just work all day.

Did i mention its community college? maybe thats why it sucks ass so much. oh well i never wanted to go to school anyways, so i wouldnt even consider for a second goin into a REAL college since the whole reason im here is not for a education anyways.

But shit man, i dont know what to tell you. Fuck school. you can get by fine in life without that bullshit. follow your dreams and if you end up poor and hopeless at least its because you were doing something you wanted to do instead of bullshitting thru life doin what youre "supposed" to and being hopeless inside.