• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Has weed really gotten stronger

Fetus Fetish

Bluelighter
I think everyone here has heard it before, that weed is 200X stronger then it used to be. So my question is how did people get high with weed 200X weaker then the stuff today. I've heard stories of people saying they used to split a joint between three people and still get very high even tho it was weed from the 60s.

Top grade weed used to have a THC content of 7-9%. Now top grade can range from 20-28%, so weed is definitely more potent these days.

So no, it was not at all 200x weaker, only about 2-3x weaker. Of course people could still get high they just needed to smoke more.

I'm also a bit confused on what you said with the joint. Did this happen in the 60s or did they find some weed from the 60s and just smoked it in the present? Any weed grown in the 60s has probably turned to dirt by now.

We got high we just did not get as high and that was fine. Mellow and social was the weed culture that I grew up in when I returned to the States as a teen. In Nigeria (where I was introduced to the plant) the weed was much more potent--more like what it is today. I liked both for different reasons/situations......still do.

The weed I smoked in the 70s didn't put you on your ass with one or two tokes. The high wasn't psychedelic unless you got hold of some charas or some good hash oil and used a considerable amount.

Mostly, it was a mellow, relaxing sort of high, unless you were one of the unfortunates (as I was) where more than a buzz led to paranoia and extreme anxiety.

In Nigeria (where I was introduced to the plant) the weed was much more potent--more like what it is today. I liked both for different reasons/situations......still do.

I'm tempted to ask why you were in Nigeria.

I was talking about this kind of thing when I had a friend over a few nights ago. What happened to the good ol' days when you knew that what you were smoking wasn't going to completely obliterate you?- that sort of thing

Back in high school most of what my friends and I smoked was mids... mids and so called dank buds. There was only one instance in those days where a handful of my friends actually hallucinated from smoking a few bongs of some powerful shit - at least it was [powerful] to us. I'm talking auditory hallucinations here though... that and just like, wavy shit.

Fast forward to now and I can't even smoke weed unless it's from one of my oldest friends. He's very good at what he does. He knows exactly how to describe his bud so that I know what I'm getting into. Because I don't want to repeat the days of smoking a grav with a girl and then looking like an ass in front of her because my veins feel like they're on fire and I can't stop moving around.

Landraces (local acclimated cultivars, outdoor usually) can be very potent, I don't buy the low THC percentage for strains like Durban Poison or Acapulco Gold. You just have to buy the real deal, no pressed brick but original buds.

Sure outdoor weed can be weak, but these two strains are really strong and psychedelic, and of course you taste the sun, I prefer them any day over indoor weed. Too bad there isn't any real demand for those strains anymore out of the local market.

^ There's actually a good amount of Durban Poison in the recreactional stores in CO. It can be grown inside, outside or in a greenhouse.

Love Colombian Gold and Durban Poison. Landraces are def very potent, thats where the genetics for these highly potent hybridized strains come from, no?

I was talking about this kind of thing when I had a friend over a few nights ago. What happened to the good ol' days when you knew that what you were smoking wasn't going to completely obliterate you?- that sort of thing

Back in high school most of what my friends and I smoked was mids... mids and so called dank buds. There was only one instance in those days where a handful of my friends actually hallucinated from smoking a few bongs of some powerful shit - at least it was [powerful] to us. I'm talking auditory hallucinations here though... that and just like, wavy shit.

Fast forward to now and I can't even smoke weed unless it's from one of my oldest friends. He's very good at what he does. He knows exactly how to describe his bud so that I know what I'm getting into. Because I don't want to repeat the days of smoking a grav with a girl and then looking like an ass in front of her because my veins feel like they're on fire and I can't stop moving around.
Weed has definitely increased in THC % content. Although going back to 1995 me and a friend had our first 'bucket bong' (Gravity bong) experience. That was with the infamous 'UK Soap Bar' (Hard Hash)Which we nicknamed 'Dirt Bar' due to it's poor quality. Anyway, regarless of the quality, THC/CBD? content, both me and my friend have never experienced anything quite so intense just from Cannabis (Poor grade Cannabis)

In the following 20 Years we have no doubt smoked stronger Cannabis, but never have we experienced anything like that. Full blown tripping for several hours and many litres of vomit.

That day gave both me and my friend a new and long held respect for the actual potential power of Cannabis.

I remember getting $25 quarters in the 90's...I think its harder to find brickweed now than it is good shit..

I didnt live in the 70's, but they definitely had sinsemilla, but it was essntially a holy grail item procured from deadheads and rich yuppies.If the average bud is 15% THC nowadays, and it was 5% then, I would think that one could smoke a joint and get roughly the same effect that someone gets from taking a single solid rip now..

I'm hypersensitive to THC's effects and kind of wish weed was a bit lower potency so there would be more room to play in between "a mild buzz" and "stoned as fuck". 

I'm hypersensitive to THC's effects and kind of wish weed was a bit lower potency so there would be more room to play in between "a mild buzz" and "stoned as fuck". 

I hear ya, sometimes it's like 3 tokes = "Why did I even bother?" and 4 is like"WHAT THE FUCK WHAT IF I'M ONLY EXISTING BECAUSE SOMEONE IS IMAGINING ME!?!?!?"

Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but just a bit.

I hear ya, sometimes it's like 3 tokes = "Why did I even bother?" and 4 is like"WHAT THE FUCK WHAT IF I'M ONLY EXISTING BECAUSE SOMEONE IS IMAGINING ME!?!?!?"

Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but just a bit.

Too much weed for me makes me uncomfortably reflective..Like, I'll take something trivial, like the way I ended a conversation with my gf, and dwell on it and eventually begin to feel shitty about it..Like I said though, I think this is the weed stripping away the filter to your subconscious, but sometimes ZI'm just trying to eat pizza and laugh at fart jokes, not figure out my strategy for life.

I think that with the advent of the Internet came about more accessible information on how to properly grow indoor marijuana.

I could get bud 14 years ago that smell and potency wise It was just as good if not better than medical grade now. But yes most bud now is not stronger perse, just better genetics and much more variety.

Weed has gotten a lot stronger on average. The best strains from the mid to late 90s can still hold their own with the best strains today. Top quality bud hasn't gotten much stronger over the last 20 years.

I quit smoking for 6 years and just started again. I feel like it's gotten better in just those 6 years. Cheaper too.

Weed has gotten a lot stronger on average. The best strains from the mid to late 90s can still hold their own with the best strains today. Top quality bud hasn't gotten much stronger over the last 20 years.

This. Weed is definitely stronger ON AVERAGE, but the strains we have today come from genetics that existed in the 60s/70s, just were much rarer. I think there's a few things that have lead to this - the medical/legal market growing hugely over the last 20 years means that more of the weed in the U.S. (including black market) is produced domestically, usually by smaller growers who give their plants more attention than you can in a big field in mexico. It's also meant that high quality genetics are distributed and proliferated a lot more freely than they used to be, leading to the breeding and development of a lot of the strains we have today.

I quit smoking for 6 years and just started again. I feel like it's gotten better in just those 6 years. Cheaper too.

It does seem to have gotten cheaper.

I think in general though the "average" marijuana being more potent has to do with the disappearance of midgrade which used to be what about everyone working class around here smoked. Now its almost EXCLUSIVELY dank and people won't even touch mid because for one you have to deal with weight to make money you can't just buy an ounce and sell eighths you'd need a couple ounces of mid to make similar money and then you'd be in felony category. Its funny this shit is still illegal mind blowing really.