• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Has something changed?

Winterpain

Greenlighter
=Warning the following post was made while high, may contain mindless questions and needless reading=

Over the last year or so, it seems that many people around me have changed, or eased their views on Marijuana. I'm not sure if this is really happening or if perhaps I am the one who has changed.

It seems my parents, family, friends, even co-workers/boss don't see pot as the horrible poison we have been warned about; which they did in the past.

My parents (who are hopelessly brainwashed when it comes to drug usage, still love em though) have come to view even prescription narcotics as worse. My mother has two fused vertebrae/missing from her back, and has been on either Hydrocodone/Oxy for the last 15 years, so she has some personable experience with this.

Even cities in this state (... I hate you MO reform) have taken a decrim view.

Is it just me, or has something changed/changing in this country? Could Legalization really happen in the next 5 years or so?

=Love y'all=
Winter

I would love to hope that legalization could occur within 5 years, but doubt it. (Please prove me wrong America!)

I think as more people spread knowledge and usage grows, cannabis could and i believe will see a legalization in the states. I doubt again though that it will be like I walk into a grocery store, head over too the fruits and vegetable department and grab an ounce of marijuana. That would be cool though :]

Ye its being more accepted, if it ever does get legalized I PROMISE it will be more then 5 yrs. I don't think in Obama's term it will be, but we can still have wishful thinking right?

It's ok, even if they keep it locked behind the counter, I think I'd pull through..

just don't understand how they can put me in jail, for consuming a plant in my own home...

Winter

^^ well technically the popo cant just barge into your house and arrest you - unless they have a warrant or your consent to search.

On topic: i have noticed this 'change' also. Smokers are becoming more educated and now know more hardcore facts.

Back in the 70's, the pot-smokers knew weed wasnt bad - but they weren't able to really present any kind of evidence.

Here in 2009, we have websites such as NORML, BlueLight, Cannabis, GrassCity. All these sites where cannabis smokers and other drug users can join togethor and share their knowledge and more than likely pass it on others who are against drug use.

I honestly do think legalization will happen within the next 5 years. The only people who are still against the use of marijuana are those who are ignorant and still believe the myths and lies that they've been told (brain-cell lose, gateway drug, the list goes on and on...).

Knowledge is power; and I believe the American People will soon have the power to legalize Cannabis.

knowledge be the king the set your mindstate free.

i dont think it will be in 5 years.. i hope im wrong though.
i think as the generations get younger the more educated in politics it WILL happen. patience is the key to freedom. like rock, we sit and wait.

;)

yeah the atmosphere is definitely becoming more intense; more and more people are becoming outraged. in parts of canada, you'll be dragged into court then let off with a warning for even growing plants. that's already a big help for our side, knowing that the people in charge of judging criminals recognize that it's appauling to even consider ruining someone's LIFE over pot.

i think the problem is that a lot of the people handing down judgment and legislature are up on their high horse and have no fucking concept of what it's like to have your entire life ruined just for smoking a plant flower. i guess it doesn't matter much to them; living the ivy league life knowing they're destined for political life on the coat tails of their mayflower parents.

i doubt we'll see much actual legalization until they retire, but until then we can hope for compassionate individuals in our legal system and support them should they come under fire for doing what is ultimately right.

you thujone, are awesome! very well said.

if nothing happens in the USA soon, it would be nice to move out of the country

As Thujone said (albeit with a little bit of prejudice), its only a matter of time till the people who dont understand it are cleared out. Much like what Andrew Jackson did to the spoils system to clean things out when new administrations come around, this will occur on a much larger scale over time. We have science, politically active youth, the medical community (some of it), rampant use, sweet ganja, and time on our side. So just wait it out. Obama might be a step in the right direction, though we have yet to see.

What do you guys think of this? On the application to become a DEA special agent:

"Applicants who are found, through investigation or personal admission, to have experimented with or used narcotics or dangerous drugs, except those medically prescribed, will not be considered for employment with DEA. Exceptions to this policy may be made for applicants who admit to limited youthful and experimental use of marijuana. Such applicants may be considered for employment if there is no evidence of regular, confirmed usage and the full-field background investigation and results of the other steps in the process are otherwise favorable. Compliance with this policy is an essential requirement of the position."

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/job/agent/bef_drugQuest.html

eh?

What do you guys think of this? On the application to become a DEA special agent:

"Applicants who are found, through investigation or personal admission, to have experimented with or used narcotics or dangerous drugs, except those medically prescribed, will not be considered for employment with DEA. Exceptions to this policy may be made for applicants who admit to limited youthful and experimental use of marijuana. Such applicants may be considered for employment if there is no evidence of regular, confirmed usage and the full-field background investigation and results of the other steps in the process are otherwise favorable. Compliance with this policy is an essential requirement of the position."

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/job/agent/bef_drugQuest.html

eh?

Step in the right direction, but still not great. Even if the laws arent changing, we know the attitudes are, the laws will come next.

More users need to stop just getting high and go do something to help the effort. I'm going to spread word now to friends and family. Hell, Ive already talked to my mom and dad about it and they work for law enforcement. The drug culture is a culture, and to discriminate and punish those who actively take part in its ways is prejudice (As long as they do not harm nor endanger another individual in the process)

Last time I checked, about half of our children have tried cannabis before leaving high school, and lot more try it in college. I think something like two thirds over the age of 21 have tried it. Don't quote me, though. I'm pretty sure most Americans also support legalization at this point. Hell, Nevada almost passed legislation completely legalizing cannabis (not a measure to decriminalize or provide medical cannabis). Cannabis is also, by far, the largest cash crop in the United States.

So why isn't it legal already?

I really don't know why not yet, just make it legal, tax the hell out of it, and lets make some $$$$$$.

I'd have no problem paying street prices if I could just walk up to a gas station and buy it, without having to worry about legality shit.

We lose how many Billion a year against weed? How much could we make instead? How much of the truly bad sides of the drug being illegal would be gone over night?

~Winter~

Hell, Nevada almost passed legislation completely legalizing cannabis (not a measure to decriminalize or provide medical cannabis).

Hell ye LA 8o

So why isn't it legal already?

Its the old ass people that still believe the stereotypes from way back. I dont get why the sense didnt get knocked into them yet =/.

8o8o8o

In the next five years I don't think legalization is going to happen, but decriminalization will I am almost certain. There is even a video on youtube that shows Obama in 2004 speaking about the decriminalization of MJ.

Marijuana was decriminalized in Massachusetts in January of 2009. It was decided by votes , a ballot question in the November election. Now if the police catch you with some weed they can't arrest you if it's less than one ounce. You get a ticket and have to pay a fine and it does not go on your record. If you are under 18 you are required to take a drug class , similar to the classes drunk drivers must take when convicted.
It's a bit confusing, it's not exactly allowed as they will confiscate your stash and fine you for it, it's just not an arrestable offense anymore.
The reasoning behind the bill is that folks were getting records for marijuana possession and it was holding them back from certain employments or housing rentals, and the citizens voted that pot isn't that bad and it's use should not be classified with other , harder drugs.
I wonder if this new law will have any effect on the drug screens that some jobs require.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...08/11/05/voters_approve_marijuana_law_change/