• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Has Anyone Here Had Dental Implants?

Glad yours went well and sorry about your wife. Bet you were both upset by it.

I wanted implants but they are out of my reach financially. Hard to believe the DDS industry charging that much.

Just country folk here that has to be happy with ill fitting dentures that feel like you are a horse with the reign in its mouth ! :giggle: :giggle:

I was just missing the one and after I retired I didn't care anymore. I am not even sure where I put my plastic tooth. When my HRA had use it or lose it money I decided this was the only thing I could use it for. I am still having trouble getting used to a tooth there and that was 2015.

It’s been a week and I’m still having lots of pain. I’m taking a combo of Oxys and Ibuprofen because of the swelling.

My lisp is so awful right now. I can’t say very many words without sounding like a total fube.

Last edited:
It’s definitely not cheap. It’s somewhere around $2,000 per implant. I’m going to need about 8-10 implants. My teeth are terrible and I really need to have this done. I was going to pay for it from my trust fund, but a day after telling my sister that I can’t go on like this and that I planned to use my own $$, she agreed to pay for it. She’s wealthy and she stepped in luckily. I smile with my mouth closed and I’ve been honestly grateful for COVID masks.

Are you positive you need implants? I don't know what the difference is between implants and veneers? But I was convinced my teeth were BADLY damaged (and they do look horrible) but I had them looked at last month and I need a few cavities filled and all of my wisdom teeth removed but other than that mostly just need them professionally cleaned.

Yes, I need to get some form of tooth replacement at this point. I have no teeth at this moment.

Dentures, Implants or a combination of both, which is what I’m getting.

It’s been a week and I’m still having lots of pain. I’m taking a combo of Oxys and Ibuprofen because of the swelling.

My lisp is so awful right now. I can’t say very many words without sounding like a total fube.
feeling any better? pain still bad?

Today I’m feeling better, mouthwise, but I got my 2nd Moderna vaccine Wednesday night and I’m not feeling great overall.

I saw the oral surgeon Wednesday afternoon and he told me that all the little sharp things, remaining in my gums, are not bits of teeth, as I thought. They’re actually shards of my jawbone.

In 2 weeks I’ll see him for a smoothing out of my upper + lower jaw, and that will remove the little jaw bone shards I feel. I asked him if he was going to use a Dremel type of tool to get the job done. He laughed and said he’d used that in the tooth removal portion of the process, and this time he would use a tool similar to a nail file.

2 weeks after that, in mid-June, I will be getting my bone grafts, followed by the bite impressions. The implant placement will come next, followed by the denture creation and fitting for my molars.

It’s going to be mid-summer before I have teeth again! I was so hoping I would be finished with a mouth full of teeth before then. He reminded me that if I wanted to get just dentures, I could have that immediately, or if I wanted to only get 2-4 implants, that could be done more quickly, as well.

I asked him if I’d ever be able to bite into a whole apple or eat corn on the cob again. He advised me that those foods aren’t advised, either are raw carrots, nuts or taffy.

You are gonna be so happy come mid summer. Sounds like it's coming along nicely. What a process huh.

Sorry your shot made ya feel like shit.

have a good weekend.

Did you have some kind of horrible accident?
Mine was kicked out by a surly bosuns mate and they pulled my off before I choked him to death.

I'm much better now.

No. Nothing like that. I have a congenital lack of enzymes that causes kidney stones. But when I was little, doctors didn’t know the cause and they advised my parents to limit my calcium intake. Now I have horrible teeth.

No. Nothing like that. I have a congenital lack of enzymes that causes kidney stones. But when I was little, doctors didn’t know the cause and they advised my parents to limit my calcium intake. Now I have horrible teeth.
Correction: you HAD horrible teeth :)

Correction: you HAD horrible teeth :)
Thanks for that. Yes, I had teeth that were falling apart and I hated them.

I find myself forgetting at times that I have no teeth now. I woke up today and toasted a bagel and added cream cheese with honey and I didn’t remember, until I unsuccessfully tried to take my 1st bite, that I was without teeth.

Oddly, as the swelling goes down, sharp bits and shards of my jaw are beginning to be exposed and are causing pain. I have another procedure in a week to address this annoyance.

Tonight I’m going to see if 600mg of gabapentin has any effect on the pain. I read here that you should stack your 600mg dose each 45 minutes. I just took my 1st dose and I’ve set out several more pills to cover me up to 3 hours.

Thanks for that. Yes, I had teeth that were falling apart and I hated them.

I find myself forgetting at times that I have no teeth now. I woke up today and toasted a bagel and added cream cheese with honey and I didn’t remember, until I unsuccessfully tried to take my 1st bite, that I was without teeth.

Oddly, as the swelling goes down, sharp bits and shards of my jaw are beginning to be exposed and are causing pain. I have another procedure in a week to address this annoyance.

Tonight I’m going to see if 600mg of gabapentin has any effect on the pain. I read here that you should stack your 600mg dose each 45 minutes. I just took my 1st dose and I’ve set out several more pills to cover me up to 3 hours.
How is your mouth feeling now? Better? Are the sharp shards all gone yet? I know you don't have any teeth yet....just checking to see how you are doing.

I hate my teeth and I’m getting dental implants very soon.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are you happy with your implants?
Very much happy. Getting dental implants was one of the best choices I have ever made. I was in an accident about 2 and a half years ago and it was just before the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis. I was really concerned about my appearance and how people will react when they see me smile. I was afraid to talk or smile because I thought it was affecting my overall appearance as bad. One of my cousins actually recommended me to go for dental implants for replacing the missing teeth. Although it was quite difficult to cope up with in the beginning as there were restrictions to eat and drink. It has been almost 3 years now close (2 and a half) and I am really happy as it gave me a good confidence and self esteem in participating in social gatherings.

I’m still waiting on my implants. I saw my dentist last week and he removed some remaining shards of teeth along my gum line. Because I’m getting dentures for my molars, and there was a lot of healing to be done, it’s taking a longtime to get teeth in my mouth. I thought I’d have teeth by now. He told me I’ll have teeth in 3 more visits, but didn’t give me a timeframe. I’m hoping to have them before Thanksgiving.

I didn’t have any but my mom had once. It was crazy seeing her not being able to eat anything. She had this gum problem and that bled so much. We went to a decent dentist and got it for around 1500$ which was great. She might have to get another very soon.

I lost one of my molars when I was smoking crack and drinking heavily. It is literally the worst drawn out and expensive process to get one. I finally after two years am getting the final abutment done. After bone graft, the surgery to tap the hole in the jaw and then the abutment or whatever its called made and put in it's like $4000 and that's after insurance. And just for one!

Hello there! It sounds like you've been putting in some serious effort today, working on crafting teeth, lips, and a tongue for your lip-sync project. Building these intricate facial features can indeed be time-consuming, but the results are often impressive. It's clear you're dedicated to perfecting your lip-syncing skills. If you ever need additional resources or information related to dental anatomy to enhance your work, you might want to check out www.vipdentalny.com. They could have some valuable insights or references for your project. Keep up the good work, and your commitment will surely pay off in the end! 🦷💬

Last edited:
I'm way late to answer (OP), but I want them, too. Or at least veneers which I don't think are much cheaper. I used to have a lovely smile but now I'm embarrassed to smile at anyone. Mine is more due to purging than drugs, but I hate my teeth, too. I got a very intense (and painful! thank god I had xanax to take before I went as they offered NO pain relief...although both the dentist and the assistant were nice enough not to point out that I was OBVIOUSLY sedated....like, my dad almost refused to take me to the appointment due to me being out of it) that removed any staining I had which was a HUGE improvement, especially my incisors, looked much better and were white again. But, yeah, I have bad acid damage (mostly to the backs of my teeth so at least you can't see it) too.
I saw a dentist a year ago and was told I need 6 teeth removed. Luckily 4 of them are my wisdom teeth. Although I was told "even if I gave you a root canal in the other two, they would last maybe 3 months from now before they had to be removed) but like 13 months later and the teeth seem to be doing fine. No visible issues and no pain.
What DOES hurt on and off is I have a tooth where the filling fell out while I was purging and another tooth that literally 2/3rds just fell off like a week later while purging. So they hurt sometimes. I actually don't regret those two incidents, though, as they were what finally gave me the strength to stop purging (after 11 years_ and I haven't since (about 4 years ago)/

God this scares me. I have terrible dental hygiene and always have. Somehow my teeth remain white and decent. I'm almost 30. This isn't going to last unless I make some serious changes and im going to wind up having to pay 20k for some teeth. Dental insurance doesn't cover the implants? Or is that 2k your copay?

How old are you? When did your teeth turn against you? Do you use a lot of processed sugar ? (I don't, maybe my one saving grace)

Unfortunately a lot of other things are just as bad for your teeth. I don't eat much sugar as I'm T1D, but my teeth are still fucked :( grill so fucked I'm putting black and decker out of business.