• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Has anyone felt benzodiazepines, despite being in withdrawal contributed to your anxiety?

cdin is right.
And so are you about the push from docs taper plan; it is not optimal in this case... just an opinion from rando jo.
How are things going at this point?
<3
Hey snap!! sorry for the late reply, I didn't get any notifies on this thread for a bit, I just checked in!

I'm currently trying to have my PCP take care of the taper and plan out a reasonable taper plan hopefully, ashton manual style! Trying to move docs from my psych to PCP to handle the taper. As my psychs idea is not optimal at all.

Valium and other benzos made me agoraphobic, my anxiety was way worse and they even made me depressed, I was on and off them for years plus other pills I used to try and stop valium, I tried to stop a loads of times but not properly, I'd cave and start up again after a couple of weeks or move onto a different downer pill, but after how they made me feel when I was last addicted I done a proper slow taper, it's crazy what an anti anxiety medication can do to someone, made me so much worse

You'll notice how much better you feel once you come out the other side

Benzos would relieve my anxiety in the short term, but once I developed a long term habit, they would usually just make my anxiety worse overall without really helping anything, especially physically. This past year on 8mg bromazolam daily, I would be a shaky, nervous wreck all day until I got at least 4 drinks in me. It was awful. The long acting ones like Klonopin and Valium seem to be slightly better, but it can still make you a wreck mentally and physically.

If you find it particularly difficult, especially towards the end of your taper, don't be afraid to seek help through an ER or something. Benzo detox is no joke.