• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Happy (American) Thanksgiving?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
What are you doing today?

I am having a little meal at a botanical gardens that are doing it up with my mom, my benefactor, two Chinese nuns, a Chinese monk, a recovery friend and his fiancé, and of course little old me.

Seems like it might be the best thanksgiving I've had... possibly ever? Kinda sad, but hell I'll take it. At least this has the making of an incredibly un-stressful thanksgiving, unlike normal when I get to deal with my dad's wife's nutty sisters. Not that that doesn't have its charm, but I am really looking forward to hanging out with these folks.

Especially the nun, kinda have a crush on her. Leave it to me to want what I can't have ;) At least she's awesome though, so I'll take what I can get.

Is your thanksgiving going to be stressful? How do you plan on dealing with the stress?

<3

p.s. And does anyone know when Canada's thanksgiving is?

dabs and videos games is it? I can think of far, far worse ways to spend the day :)

Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, this year it was monday the 9th. Despite the rest of my family indulging it was my first day without a drink, for this stint anyways.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone south of the boarder. Remember the reason for the season .. haha

I ate with my parents and aunt. It wasn't bad

I had dinner with an AA group. While we ate we went around the room and spoke about what we are grateful for. I said I am grateful for a higher power that has kept me out of jail/prison (especially after hearing so many stories about people with multiple drunk driving arrests) or worse, pushing up daisies, or causing someone else to be pushing up daisies. There weren't very many people there but I can't believe we demolished an entire turkey. I brought something called a "celebration roast" for the vegans (butternut squash, mushrooms and apples). When I was a vegetarian I was always frustrated at potlucks that there was hardly anything I could eat, so I always bring a vegan or vegetarian dish for holiday potlucks.

Thanksgiving has always been a painful experience to me in the past because it was the 1 day a year where I would be drunk and on drugs and say/do some really mean and hurtful things to my family,so I combated the badfeels with goodfeels by serving Thanksgiving dinner to homeless men and women at a shelter. Like aihfl said above, nailed it. Went to a gratitude meeting with some of my friends and shared how grateful I am to be alive today,and my creator has given me a 2nd chance in working on myself and that includes helping those around me.

Telling my story tonight at a local in-patient drug/alcohol treatment center for men and women, so grateful that I am able to do that today.

Also, my mother sent me a text yesterday telling me that she loves me,and happy thanksgiving. It brought me to tears.

Spent the day out of the recovery house and up at my parents. For whatever reason i was hit with a serious wave of depression and i'm wondering if it's the suboxone i've been taking for almost a month now- Anxiety hit when i stare down the two strips i have left and no Dr appointment in site but i'm interested in tapering. I look forward to spending time with family but have been hit with trauma this year. I just want to spend holiday on my terms but am totally unable to do that. I made it through the day, albeit totally inside my hide but made it nonetheless. I managed to spend time with the lady and make a list of things i am grateful for