• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Half Life of Invega Sustenna and tripping?

Generic84

Bluelighter
I have since July been on Invega Sustenna. I am skipping this month, and next, hoping to trip on NYE. The only thing is the half life of the drug is insane 25-49 days. My question is does the drug have to be completely eliminated in order to trip, or would a couple half lifes work if dosed higher than normal. Thanks.

I have since July been on Invega Sustenna. I am skipping this month, and next, hoping to trip on NYE. The only thing is the half life of the drug is insane 25-49 days. My question is does the drug have to be completely eliminated in order to trip, or would a couple half lifes work if dosed higher than normal. Thanks.

Invega Sustenna is a depot injection form of paliperidone, an active metabolite of risperidone. I‘m not sure if „half-life“ is the appropriate term here, since the actual half-life of the drug is less than 24 hours(!) - it‘s just that you‘ve got a blob of emulsion in your arm that‘s constantly releasing new paliperidone into your bloodstream, like a giant extended-release pill.

I guess you‘d have to do some digging on the kinetics of these depot shots - I assume they keep your plasma levels of paliperidone somewhat stable over the course of a month, but I have no idea how sharply or slowly it drops off after that.

That said, there must be a reason you‘re on a depot injection. It is possible for people on low doses of oral risperidone to trip just fine after skipping their dose for a few days, but anybody who‘s on a higher dose probably shouldn‘t be skipping doses, and only doing gradual tapers. Doubly so if they were put on a depot shot, and quadruply so if they‘re planning to do LSD (and god knows what else) at an NYE party.

Ive not heard of a sustained release risperidone prior to this, but in theory, given the nature of antipsychotics and this method of release, one would assume the experience would be slightly muted at best; if any at all.

Especially if youve been taking it longer than a few months. In no way to mean this personally, but if an underlying psychological disorder warrented the use (or need) of a stable release of an antipsychotic, then ingesting psychedelic substances would generally be contradicted in achieving remission of said disorder. (Living in the real world, of course I totally understand wanting to partake!)

Consequently, stopping the medication for a month may provoke symptoms that were present prior to treatment to return. Also unsure if there would be any uncomfortable discontinuation syndrome involved

Again not particularly referring to you OP, but rather viewing the given scenario objectively in terms of harm reduction for other readers as well.

Last edited:
Ive not heard of a sustained release risperidone prior to this

Depot-injection risperidone ("Risperdal Consta") has been around for ~15 years now, although it's nowhere near as common as the plain old IR tablets. However, with paliperidone, it seems like the manufacturer is more aggressively focusing their marketing on the depot injection forms ("Invega Sustenna", "Xeplion").

Presumably this is because doctors can't justify the extra cost of paliperidone tablets over the much cheaper risperidone tablets - if most of it is converted to paliperidone by your liver anyway, then why pay an outrageous premium for Boehringer-Ingelheim to do it for you?
On the other hand, with a depot injection, you're missing this "first-pass" effect, so the pharmacology of an Invega Sustenna shot might provide a closer match for that of oral risperidone than a Risperdal Consta shot would.

Does anyone know if it lucy would work after one half life, 50 percent of the drug still in system. So does that mean if I dosed two hits instead of one, would have the effect of one hit, or is this a waste?

Bump. Acquiring some lucy tomorrow, just wondering if I dosed 3 tabs if I would have any sort of "trip" at all. Been one half life.

Bump. Acquiring some lucy tomorrow, just wondering if I dosed 3 tabs if I would have any sort of "trip" at all. Been one half life.

Depends on the strength of those tabs and your own Invega dose.

Based on this chart someone who's on a medium-to-high dose of Invega would still have a fairly significant amount of paliperidone even 8 weeks after the last injection, probably enough to significantly dull any sort of psychedelic experience.

And since LSD itself has a non-linear dose-response-curve, it becomes pretty impossible to predict the degree to which a trip would be affected - there is no way to tell whether you would need twice as much or 5 times as much LSD to get the same effect; there might even be a relatively low dosage "ceiling" where the LSD experience would barely intensify even if you ate another 10-strip.

ive tried staying off xyprxa for a week and no prevail. i was on it for 3 years and now i cant get off it. anti psychotics are worse then coming off of dope. hope you get to trip, o wot be able to tillprob the next year or two.