• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

gun choices

HYDRO_CHRONIC

Bluelighter
this would be mainly for target shooting ,ive only shot ,12g's and rifle's ,a 270,and a 300

cant decide if i want a hand gun ,or a rifle

and any gun advice is appreciated ,like the best methods for aiming ,reloading ,stance etc

If it's just for target practice and you have no prior handgun experience I would start with something small like a .22. The Walther P22 is a very durable, dependable, and all around well made gun that should give you little to no problems (I have no personal experience with the gun but a friend of mine had the P99 and it was great, also I've never heard anything bad about the P22). .22 ammunition is extremely cheap, you can shoot the thing all day and not spend nearly as much on ammo as you would with a 9mm or a .45 or something in an hour's worth of shooting. A .22 creates very little recoil which makes it very easy to aim and shoot, it's a good learning gun and will teach you to be accurate. Then if you decide that you want more firepower you can move up from there because a .22 isn't really much more than a target practice gun (wouldn't try to use for self defense or anything)

Last edited:
yeah for plinking a .22 is extremely fun. the first gun i ever shot happened to be a browning .22.
a .32 (which is becoming much rarer in target pistols) also can be a lot of fun. if it's possible fire a mag through whichever gun you think about buying. this is usually the best litmus test.

7.62 rounds are cheap. So is an sks rifle. Banana clip for the win. Fun gun to fool around with. The 3 guns you mention are all good for hunting. I have a .300 myself.
As far as stance goes, if you plan to hunt, practice a lot with a standing shot. I`ve personally hate knealing and resting my arm on my knee, but know guys that do it well, as it steadys the gun. You generally wont have a truck hood to lean over. Though it`s good for checking and alining your scope or sights.