• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Guanfacine! (Tenex)

TbanksIV

Greenlighter
First of all I'd like to say hello, I finally took the jump from merely lurking to becoming an active member, I'll try not to be too much of a douche.

Anyway, I am fully aware there is no recreational use for Tenex, my question lies elsewhere. When administered orally does is have the same type of effects as Vyvanse or Adderall? or is the feeling completely different?

This medication is a BP med that is occasionally used off label with other drugs for ADHD. So no DO NOT abuse this medication in anyway shape or forum as too much could cause hypotension and worse things to happen. Becareful mixing it with any other CNS depressants as well.

It's pretty much the opposite of a ADHD drug as it will sedate you (though not like a fun sedative like a benzo) instead of causing any stimulant effects. In fact it will reverse some of the effects of stimulants so yeah it's totally the opposite from say amphetamines.

When administered orally does is have the same type of effects as Vyvanse or Adderall? or is the feeling completely different?
Completely different. It's not a stimulant, but an α2-adrenergic agonist (e.g. clonidine, tizanidine etc). Drugs of this class lower blood pressure and heart rate, and are said to be sedating if taken in high amounts. It is not recreational, but it might actually be useful to counter side effects of stimulants.

It seems odd to me that it is being marketed as an ADHD drug now.

From practical experience, not so odd.

Not however, with guanfacine, sadly they don't use it in the UK, asked my doc about it, as at some dosages apparently it has nootropic potential.

Tizandine I get on script, and I have had clonidine before, orally, sedating, will lower heart rate/BP, damn good opiate potentiator, actually, for some reason it seems to improve most drugs, at least in my opinion. Take too much, and it will put you flat on your back, out cold, or produce a state that could perhaps be compared in appearance, to an opiate nod, minus the euphoria, relaxing yes, sedating-very, but not actually euphoric.

Stick the stuff where the sun don't shine, and its another matter entirely, I have adjusted to it somewhat, after being scripted it quite a while (I'm autistic, use the stuff to kill off any unwanted sensory input-related overload annoyance, works perfectly) but 4mg that way would cause pronounced ptosis of the eyelids, sudden uncontrollable half-sleep, etc.

A little more, (and still) it would knock me out cold within about 10-15 minutes, I have used it pluged, on desoxypipradrol, whilst still fully under the effects of it and it still managed to KO me.

Lower doses though, I find work very well to focus attention, my attention span is all over the damn place, I suspect, perhaps, I may have at least some ADD-ish tendencies, in fact thats about the only reason I ever use stimulants.

A2 adrenoreceptor agonists are certainly anything but stimulating though.

Different drugs of this class tend to have different levels of effect on blood pressure, tizanidine IIRC is something like 40x less potent as a hypotensive agent than is clonidine. Clonidine has in the past, without producing strong sedation like tizanidine would, made me more or less unable to move, whilst laid out on my back on a bed.

Couldn't get up, could barely reach over a few feet to spark a fag.

Pretty much all of the A2 agonists are based on an imidazoline ring structure, and there exists an imidazoline receptor (with several subtypes, one of which is located in the medulla oblongata, near the brain stem which controls autonomic function) And most of them hit both A2 adrenoreceptors and the imidazoline-1 receptor.

I take Wellbutrin and Vyvanse in the morning and both an extended release and immediate release guanfacine at night. Reasoning being, I have insomnia and impulse control issues and was prescribed a 1mg pill but the immediate release made me tired but I couldn't get up easily. So then I was put on 1mg of extended release, which made me kinda sleepy but not enough, but I liked how I felt the next day. So I asked if I could take both to raise the initial dose at night to help me sleep, but still get the extended release benefit to help with the impulse control and ADHD. I wouldn't say that it feels anything like vyvnase. The immediate release ones have a kick. But it made me feel like I'd just smoked a bowl. That only lasted about a month and it wasn't always consistent. Now it just feels like I'm a little tired, and I bruise easier. I just started the vyvanse today, and I'm up still, clenching my jaw, eyes wide open and I'm guessing coming down because I'm having chest pains and panic attacks. I don't feel like that affected me as much as when I was taking adderall, but then again at that point I was prescribed a 20mg ER in the morning and a bunch of immediate release adderall "bumpers" to keep me going through the day. I think I was up to 60 mg? Whereas I'm only taking 20 mg of vyvanse.

The nice thing about guanfacine is that it also is used to treat addicts, it suppresses the urge to binge eat, drink alcohol and do drugs. So I've stopped drinking since I started it.

I sort of rambled on, like I've been doing all day ? But the point is, it's something you usually use in conjunction with adderall or vyvanse and not a replacement.

Completely different. It's not a stimulant, but an α2-adrenergic agonist (e.g. clonidine, tizanidine etc). Drugs of this class lower blood pressure and heart rate, and are said to be sedating if taken in high amounts. It is not recreational, but it might actually be useful to counter side effects of stimulants.

It seems odd to me that it is being marketed as an ADHD drug now.

It's used for impulse control, which is the big difference between ADHD and bipolar as far as diagnosis goes. I haven't had any good results for the general cloudiness of my mind, I haven't become any more productive, but I have started making much better choices and don't always feel such an urge to do things right away in a frenzy when I'm upset. It's also used on addicts, to help curve the impulse to drink or take anything recreationally. So, i was once a binge drinker and now I don't even want alcohol. I think it's also used for binge eating, as is vyvanse.