Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Growing up...

GillyWin

Bluelighter
Today something profound happened, and i realised i'm growing up. Well i knew i was but realisation set in. I think more clearly about certain issues, and deal with things better. I've begun noticings heaps that i didnt before.

I'm all of 20 (21 soon hehe) and feel quite happy with the stage i'm at in the growing up process.

Have you ever actually felt this growing up realisation .. was it spurred on by an event? person? place? situation?

Have you grown up yet?

im as silly and immature as i was 10 years ago.... im 19 now, and i dont want to ever grow up.... EVER

hmm, an interesting question. the last year or so i've had quite a few issues with feeling "old" and all, but mostly i feel like i grew up about four years ago.

the first year of uni was a massive eye-opener for me, and i matured a helluva lot (most would say not enough ;)) then. there are definitely facets of my life in which i need to be more mature, but with most things i'm happy (i use the word happy in wont of a better word).

i'm twenty, too.

I will never grow up! The world i my playground and i'm going to play in it! In fact having a child has made me feel younger (and older at the same time when you see that they are getting older) but i do heaps of kid stuff because my son likes to do it etc Of course i *am* grown up because i have responsibilities and what not but i refuse to let society take away my child like innocence just because of a number :)

i wont say i've grown up - but i have "grown" in terms of life experiences so far - i've done some pretty "worldly things already - although there are many more things to come - the weird thing is i think it is reflective of me when alot of people guess me at about 24-26 although i'm only 19 (20 next year) weird... still there's so many things i want to expose myself to before i consider myself to be older in terms of age..if that makes sense...=D

What is being grown up?????

If it is depriving yourself of the ability to just be silly sometimes .............then NO I havent.

If it is suddenly gaining the ability to say NO to things because they are bad for you.........when yesterday you were sprouting there goodness.........then NO I am not an adult.

If it is losing the ability to communicate with those whom you perceive as not an adult...........then NO I am not.

If it is thinking that because you are now an adult then you have to look down on anything a non adult does..........then NO I am not an adult.

If it is the realisation that you are getting older and are often lonely and wishing that the rest of the world would stop expecting you to act like what there perception of a 44 year old should be instead of a 22 year old............then YES I am an adult.

I still haven't voted liberals so i'm yet to grow up.

Being constantly mistaken for a 23 year old also proves this concept.

On the other hand... i am grown up when i need to be.. so hmm..

All 'Peter Pan' stuff aside (because most of us have that urge to be immature occasionally for the rest of our lives)....

I think "growing up" , as in maturing, happens when you really, TRULY understand the concept of personal responsibility.

I've been "growing up" in little bits and pieces ever since I left home to go to uni, and over the last ten years it's continued with entering the workforce, renting flats, paying bills and being a member of society.

When you are a teenager - and even in your early twenties to a certain extent - you still don't understand that everything is eventually going to be up to you. Mum doesn't pack your lunch anymore, you have to do your own laundry, remember people's birthdays... if you want that job you have to study for it, if you want those clothes you have to save for them. And if you fuck up your life it's only you who'll be hurt. All those things gradually dawn on you as you get older. The pinnacle is probably when you have kids - now that's personal responsibility to the max. ;)

The good thing I've found is that with this realisation that you're on your own, comes a certain power. If you live your life with no responsibility you also have no power, because all your choices are made by other people. It's a great feeling to think: I'm earning this money, supporting myself, working towards a future, and it's all down to me. When you achieve it, it's all *because* of you, and that's far more rewarding than being handed things on a plate.

Of course there's always room to go out and be silly and immature again to forget it all (for a while =D)

Did *any* of that make sense?

I havn't been kicked out of a club in like 2 and a half years so I guess I'm grown up :)

When I was 18 I pretty much got kicked out of every club on the Central Coast. Not for causing shit - just because of extreme inebriation.

I don't really get what growing up is anyway. Life moves too slowly for the concept of passing time to really mean a hell of a lot to me. I mean I'm the same person I was yesterday and a week ago.

I'm probably not the same person I was a year ago, but what does that mean anyways? I'm not grown up, just different to the way I was.

"When we younger
There always seemed like some
Some perfect mold
That we're supposed to be
But now we're growing up and
I see it's just not that way
Now I feel like someone's lied to me"

- From The Offspring - Elders

^^^ Very well put SLM, I think the idea of realising personal responsibilty sums it up nicely. Two thumbs up :D

As for feeling old, I'm a scout leader, and every now and then one of the kids (they are all around 16) says something that reminds me that these guys have never known a world without microwaves, CD's, The Simpsons and the internet on tap.... that makes me feel old.

ozbreaker said:
Being constantly mistaken for a 23 year old also proves this concept.

I could of sworn that you were between 20-23 when I met you, you just look young for your age I guess :p

as for growing up, I've noticed things differently about me and how I react to different situations, but then there are still some situations I react like I did 5 years ago...

I'd say I'm just as immature as ever, but I'm more aware of how everything should be...

I feel like I am growing more and more as a person each day... over the past three years I have grown so much...

I am twenty as well.

Sometimes I don't realise how mature I am for my age. But then again, I have been living away from home for 3 years now, so I feel like I am quite independent.

The real eye opener for me has been the change in the way my parents treat me... like I am an equal. Or other people in general. I visited my home town yesterday, and my 32 year old brother-in-law seemed to speak to me on the same level for the first time, rather than as his wife's 'little sister'.

The real big one though at the moment is the fact that I finish my degree at uni in 5 weeks time. I'm not sure if I am going to come back for honours next year or not at this stage, but this seems to be the clincher. In 5 weeks time I am moving off-campus... with my boyfriend and his mate... I will be in the 'real' world.

I don't think that the 'growing-up' feeling will ever go away. I think that you just grow through different stages during a lifetime, as different things become important in your life.

:)

its a sad day in life when you realise that you are growing up....

one day, you are going out with your mates, looking at the crusty fucks trying to pick up all the girls... then realise, one day, you ARE the crusty fuck... and i'm only 26... although, i do look older than i actually am (yay for having a receeding hairline!! not!) people usually pick me as 28... although, i must have discovered some fountain of youth, cause ppl are picking me as 24 lately... or maybe they are just being nice...

but i can almost pick the moment when i started stepping from childhood into adulthood... it was in my last year of uni... i went for a day trip down the coast with a mate... and instead of running round the country side like a madman, going body surfing, trying to chat up the local ladies, we just sat back for a full afternoon, drinking beer, just having a lazy chat... and enjoying it all...

and now, that i own a house, i find myself walking round a neighbourhood, and admiring gardens.... FREAKY!!

so yeah, i'm growing up... i dont like it...

on saying that, those who actually know me, they'd say i stopped growing mentally at 16...

now who wants to come egg a car with me??

^^^ Muz, I'm in.... I've got some firecrackers, so we can blow up some letterboxes too! :D

Oh wait.... you're an old man homeowner now... you'd probably chase those young punks down the street shaking your fist hey? :p

I don't know if I feel old.
Do I know anything?
I am simply cruisin' through life, not studying... probably failing, feeling pretty unsuccessful.
:(
I wish I had some aspirations... *sigh*
PEACE

^^^
Shit, talk about havin' a bad day.
Oh well, yeah... getting old sucks but it's inevitable.
You can't stop it... well you can, but you need REALLY good drugs.
=D
PEACE

Last edited:
I'm 21 and feel like I'm about 35. Seriously I've been through so much growth, life experiences, and roads I never imagined I would have walked, and here I am.

I wish I could minus 10 years again and do it all differently.

shals!:D

Oops! Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:
I feel old.

I still want to be young but.
A while ago I went to adventure world and rode on all the rides. All I could think was it made me feel sick and gave me a head ache.

Shal I do not know if you are aware of this but your customary "shals!" is missing it's smiley face.. please rectify this matter asap, unsatisfactory~~~ :)