• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Greg Bearup - Weekend Australian - Full Article

Not such a bad article. One of the few that has referred to the exact compound rather than just calling it "synthetic lsd" although he does revert to that kind of language later which is a bit annoying. Nice that he raises the ideas of regulation and ending the war on drugs too.

Anyone have any idea what the active was in that "Smokin Slurrie" the truck driver in the article took?

Also it would be handy to see a link to the warning system that Iain McGregor was talking about if or when its up:

"McGregor's department is setting up an early warning system, testing the new drugs' toxicology and publishing the results on the internet. "

What an outrageous article. Do they even know this guy took "n-bomb" yet? Most people i know don't even pronounce "bomb"!! And the article goes on to say what drug users ("psychonauts") do and think... Anna Wood died from drinking to much water after popping a pinger, not the pill itself + her parents advocate an all out "war on drugs", not exactly logical.

And what the fuck is synthetic lsd - lsd?? That's like saying synthetic polyethylene terephthalate...

It's the lack of accuracy and seeming preference for buzz words and shock statistics/comparisons in favour of objective information that make me so frustrated each and every time I read an article like this.

known as an N-Bomb

By who? Perhaps that's some regional slang but I've never heard it used before. Same as how I've never heard anyone refer to 4-methylmethcathinone as 'meow meow' outside of media articles.

Why not just call the substance by it's abbreviated chemical name to be clear about it. Just say 25i-NBOMe.

And this:

Police say Henry had taken 25I-NBOMe, known as an N-Bomb, a hallucinogen 25 times more potent than LSD

Wait, what? Really? Has anyone else heard this? Is there a source for it? 25 times more potent than LSD? Most of my reading so far has suggested that it's more like equipotent, or less potent than LSD.

How are people supposedly taking 500microgram doses, 750mcg doses, even 1 milligram or higher doses if it's 25 times more potent than LSD?

Then:

part of a boutique market for informed users" known as psychonauts, who order specific drugs for a specific effect for a particular event, be it a music festival or a round of wacky golf.

So psychonauts - a label I don't really care for - are people who take novel drugs purely for recreational activities? None of these so called "psychonauts" might also be using these compounds for the purpose of inner-exploration of their psyche, and a desire to better understand themselves and become independent, free-thinking individuals?

Lastly:

Education is very, very important," says Stephen, who is already speaking at community drug forums to other parents. "We need to let young people know these drugs are very dangerous. We also need to educate the family; if their children take these drugs call an ambulance. Lock away knives. Get help.

Another devastated parent, blinded by the suffering caused by the loss of their child, ironically saying that "education" is important and then going on to suggest that we fall back on the tired old scare tactics and "drugs are deadly and evil, just say no!" approach. I mean, who could blame a father who has just lost his son for being emotional? But suggesting that the families of children "lock away kives" if they discover their kids have taken a drug - not a bit extreme? Bringing more fear into the debate about drugs and what to do with the issue of their perpetual, ever-growing presence is not going to help. The drugs are not going away. They are become increasingly more potent and unpredictable. We don't need more misinformation and fear. There's enough genuine confusion and reason for concern as it is.

Yes, we need education. And that means full disclosure of the effects - all sides, good and bad - of all drugs. We need to get proper information out there. No more ridiculous made up slang names or exaggerated stories of people going mad after taking something. How about interviewing the people who have taken 25i-NBOMe, and other drugs, and NOT gone mad? We couldn't do it, because it take too fucking long. The vast majority of people who have taken these substances, even highly potent and little-researched ones like the NBOMEs have either had good experiences, mixed experiences, or at least experiences that did not warrant medical attention. A tragic but TINY minority of users have run into serious problems.

known as an N-Bomb

I think it might be some american slang, I've read it quite a bit in media shit from over there. And smilies, I think thats the same drug, not too sure tho.

I think it might be some american slang, I've read it quite a bit in media shit from over there. And smilies, I think thats the same drug, not too sure tho.

This is exactly the problem. The way the media reports drug-related stories is making an already confusing and bad situation worse.

Why do the media include slang terms for drugs in their articles? Because they are often more 'exciting' or interesting sounding than a chemical name, and thus it grabs people's attention. Names like 'meow meow' for mephedrone or even 'ice' for methylamphetamine just create a wider division between the hype and hearsay, and the actual reality.

Slang was created in the first place with the intention of limiting the number of people who could decipher certain information. For the media to perpetuate the misinformation and confusion regarding substances, and even encourage its expansion by bringing out the inane 'meow meow' type slang at every opportunity, suggests that it has a lot to account for in its part in keeping valuable drug knowledge suppressed.

The situation regarding use of both licit and illicit substances in Australia (let alone many other countries) is dire now, with more and more substances available - both 'classic drugs' and novel compounds - and increasing demand for those substances, now is the time to start speaking plainly. There will only be more substances and more incidents until the general public is empowered with, at the very least, clearly written, factual, objective information about what drugs are known to be circulating and sought after for recreational use. Pamphlets can be made which catalogue everything that is known, listing in an objective way, the full data relating to the substance; contraindications, common and uncommon side-effects, effects of long-term use, etc

I would love to see a response from Greg on the points raised in this thread especially considering he set out to get a bluelight perspective before writing this. Someone should email him?

^ good luck, he won't even reply to my emails asking why no actual factual I formation provided by myself and other BLers was used. Typical journo... How I regret giving him my time!!!!

Psychonauts! Pfffft... Sounds cool when read, but he's using it in the totally wrong context!!!! Pretty much a buzz word he must have just learned from members here.