Votes: 3 17.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

ForEverAfter

Ex-Bluelighter
I'm surprised there's no thread on this yet.

Went to Gold Class last night to check this out. I couldn't resist, given the critical responses, being a huge science-fiction fan.

This, however, is not a film for science-fiction fans. There is nothing to think about. The film relies heavily on special effects and the novelty of zero-gravity. There is little-to-no interesting dialogue. The characters are one-dimensional. The entire plot is revealed within the first three minutes. Sandra Bullock performs to the best of her ability, but she's miscast. I would've preferred to see an unknown. Clooney brings something to his role. Bullock could have been anyone.

I've got to say, I was pretty bored watching this flick. It should have run for forty-five minutes, rather than an hour and a half.

I'm sure people will disagree with me, but I thought Europa Report was a better film. And, as for the supposedly amazing special effects... The short scenes and montages in Melancholia & The Tree of Life are far more beautiful than this entire film. As far as cosmic eye candy goes, it doesn't stand up.

Gravity profits of it's uniqueness. It is the only film of it's kind. The only film, that I'm aware of anyway, that exists entirely in zero-gravity. But that doesn't make it a great film. It might be some kind of landmark. It might be a great accomplishment. It might be new. But, that don't make it God's gravy.

I give Gravity a solid 2.5 stars, out of 5.

Thoughts?

The special effects were amazing, but the story was lacking to me. At least the movie was short and didn't try to draw itself out like the much-better Apollo 13. Still, this is a movie worth seeing on the big screen. My hat is off to Alfonso Cuarón. That man certainly does know how to shoot a film!

I liked it. Definitely see in theater. Maybe with someone you love, or alone.

I see your Gravity and raise you 2001: A Space Odyssey on blu-ray on a large screen LCD.

I have yet to ever see 200: A Space Odyssey. Admittedly, I'm not really a big Kubrick fan. The Shining was good, as was A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket (my favorite of the three) but his films are just too artsy for my tastes. I'm not saying they're bad at all. In fact, I would argue that he was a great filmmaker. But he definitely didn't make the majority of his movies with me in mind. The selfish bastard!

This, however, is not a film for science-fiction fans. There is nothing to think about.
The special effects were amazing, but the story was lacking to me.
it's a hollywood blockbuster with sandra bullock and george clooney. what are people expecting?

i am expecting a hokey script, some ok acting and one hundred million dollars worth of awesome special effects.

plan to see this in imax 3d next week.

alasdair

Picture-2.png

^ words can have two meanings.

gravity: (noun, often attributive) a very serious quality or condition : the condition of being grave or serious

not so smart, ndgt

:)

alasdair

it's a hollywood blockbuster with sandra bullock and george clooney. what are people expecting?

Solaris had Clooney in it.

I don't like to overexpose myself to films prior to seeing them.

So, I didn't know what to expect exactly.

I expected more.

Jurrasic Park is a much better film.

I'm not saying there should be an enormous amount to think about, but I need some substance.

Gravity is just floating around and explosions.

I thought it was boring, regardless of my expectations.

Although different- Not to draw comparison, I found myself thinking about the movie, Contact, at times.

I loved every moment of this film and found it utterly flawless.

I had extremely high expectations. They were all completely met.

5/5

I loved every moment of this film and found it utterly flawless.

I had extremely high expectations. They were all completely met.

5/5

I really enjoyed it too, mate. Not quite my favorite movie of all-time, but it's up there. The special effects/directing/cinematography made up for the thin plot but it did have it's dramatic moments. Usually, I find 3D effects to be gimmicky, almost randomly 'plugged in'. However, I couldn't imagine this movie having nearly the same impact outside of IMAX 3D.

Also, It felt like the scene where she is curled up in the fetal position and floating, with the sun behind her was a reference to the 'human egg' scene in 2001, but I could be misinterpreting.

tumblr_l9vlxuEKhP1qc073co1_400.gif

i completely disagree the plot was thin and the characters shallow. the two main characters are well rounded, and one moves the deep and meaningful changes in the other. sure you could simplify it as "survive as best you can with the constant threats of space" but that misses most of what is internalised by the characters. i though both bullock and clooney were superb in their roles. they don't overplay nor underplay their parts. neither stuffs the screen with unnatural exposition. their conversations are not packed with quips or cliches and the subtext is where their characterisations dance wonderfully.

seriously the more i think about this film the more i really liked it.

i completely disagree the plot was thin and the characters shallow. the two main characters are well rounded, and one moves the deep and meaningful changes in the other. sure you could simplify it as "survive as best you can with the constant threats of space" but that misses most of what is internalised by the characters. i though both bullock and clooney were superb in their roles. they don't overplay nor underplay their parts. neither stuffs the screen with unnatural exposition. their conversations are not packed with quips or cliches and the subtext is where their characterisations dance wonderfully.

seriously the more i think about this film the more i really liked it.

Bullock's acting wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Clooney, however, was great albeit playing his 'usual' role. Awkward Lovelorn Teenager is to Michael Cera as Witty Relaxed Charming Dude is to Clooney. Was there character development with Bullock's character? Yeah. But it just didn't do it for me on that front.

I'm surprised you disagree the plot was thin. Sure there were a few minor twists used mostly for dramatic effect, but overall it's a pretty basic storyline.

I just wish James Taylor would have played over the closing credits. (pls pls pls get the reference)

are you nuts? (don't answer that) bullock very much warranted writing home about. in fact i wrote home as soon as i stepped out of the theatre. the only people there were my cats, and they just replied cursing me out for leaving them for more than five minutes. she expressed a great range of emotion, and the path her character takes stretched her as an actress. clooney did tap his typecast, but there was more to it. he was intense when he needed to be.

as for plot thinness, i think i might note here the meaning of the term is actually "story points which are superficial, predictable, unsubstantial" and NOT "few things happen". a thin plot meanders and it can have quite a lot happening, but for arbitrary or simple reasons. the opposite of a thin plot is a deep plot, where there is a believable and moving reason for certain decisions. deep plots tend to be driven by their characters, and this film does that.

sorry, i don't get your stupid reference. without knowing anything about it, i can already tell it's stupid. james taylor, dumb name. :p