NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

with my luck they will probably play it tonight in baltimore, or save it for NYE in NJ

and really it's 4 sets

no such thing as an acoustic morning dew, come on bro

they say they are doing a GD 3 set show in philly, i pray it's a show from the warfield/RCMH run from '80 and not a 1970 show

i'm assuming 12/30 will be an original setlist

and i've heard a panic dew, it did what a dew should do

Do people follow DSO? I guess what I'm mostly asking is that would it be worth it to come to the show a couple hours early?

really not an acoustic enthusiast and can do without it

that being said

to lay me down, heaven help the fool, bird song, china doll, and dark hollow are all dope

i wish bobby would have added big iron to the gd rotation

Do people follow DSO? I guess what I'm mostly asking is that would it be worth it to come to the show a couple hours early?
it's really hit or miss

vending is usually pretty minimal, open air markets are practically in-existent except at one or two venues off the top of my head

sometimes there is a scene sometimes there's nothing to be seen

venues that have assigned parking lots are more likely to have people hanging out

chances decrease with cold weather

I am guessing its unlikely as my city isn't really big compared to places like LA or NYC. Also considering the weather here. I need to ask my friend about the venue since I haven't been there, only he has so he would know whether or not there is an assigned parking lot. I'm hopeful. Considering it will be a couple hour drive right after school, I might swing by the venue just to see whats up then head to a friends house if nothings going on and comeback maybe 45 minutes-1 hour before the show starts just to see whats up.

I'd like to see the show before and maybe one or two after but I have classes and can't really miss college for music as much as I'd like to.

I know the show is a couple months away but afterwards, I'll definitely report back on it in this thread seeing as its my first DSO show.

yeah most venues they play at are theaters or clubs in a 'downtown' setting

hanging around the venue you pretty much just have your ticketless wooks

you can't really party in the streets of a city

a lot of people go to bars/restaurants close to the theater

there really isn't much trash at dso shows, pretty sophisticated, and appreciative crowd imo

i love talking to older folk, asking them about the GD shows they've seen

a lot times i get shit along the lines of, yeah i was at englishtown in '82!!!! or claimed to have seen them in some city they never played in....

i tell them no they weren't, they only played in e-town once, in '77, trust me, than they get sensitive, like who the fuck is this kid? so, i walk away

but most people have good memories, at least good enough to tell me the year and venue, than 9/10 times i'll tell them the exact date, and which songs kicked ass from that show, and they get all excited to be reminded

last night was pretty sick

frst was a little to uneasy at how packed it was inside, easilly the largest crowd i've been in with these guys

but once i was able to find my dancing hole, and the sheer energy the crowd had, looking down atop the balcony and just seeing a sea of dancing souls was awesome

show started at 8:30 sharp and when checked the time when i was walking out it was 1:30

9-27-80 Warfield Theater, San Francisco, Ca. (Sat) Acoustic: Dire Wolf, Race Is On, Jack A Roe, Monkey & Engineer, Roses, Dark Hollow, Bird Song, To Lay Me Down, On The Road Again, Ain't No Lie> Ripple Electric-1: Half Step> Franklin's, Mama Tried> Mexicali, Row Jimmy, Rooster, Althea> Let It Grow> Deal Electric-2: Cold Rain> C. C. Rider, Ramble On, He's Gone> Other One> Drumz> Stella Blue> Miracle> GDTRFB> Johnny B. Goode E: Saturday Night

I do know that this venue is in a "downtown" setting. I'll actually be heading down there tonight for an electronic show. It'll be alright, I'm just going to get some fresh air.

So a lot of older dead fans go to DSO shows? I jw what the crowd is going to be like, though I'm excited cause I really don't know that many GD fans in my area besides a friend here or there that I introduced them to and I'd like to meet some older fans. I just really enjoy learning about what tour was like as well as just travelling the country in general on a personal level.

grateful dead~infrared roses

Grateful Dead ~ Dark Star/China Doll ~ 05-14-1974 ~ Adams Field House Missoula MT

2nrhnrt.gif

wake up dead
S|S

Logic, what venue are you talking about? Aren't you in nashville? Mercy lounge?

Yes, that is the show I'll be attending. I actually went to a show there for the first time the other night and while I feel like they could open up the venue a bit, I liked it overall. When I say that, I mean people kept brushing each other as they walked by and the constant movement made for a super crowded show with not much breathing room considering the amount of people. It may have just been a popular show but still, I like to be able to chill out at times and there wasn't much room for that.

i think my favorite wharf rat will forever be the one from skullfuck.

logic

almost everyone i speak to that is over 45~ years old can't get over how awesome dso is

i feel like going to a DSO show is like going to a show during '76-'83, or a JGB show, smaller, more intimate venues with very rowdy, responsive crowds

it wasn't like that before jeff mattson took over on lead guitar

some say they like them more than GD

everybody knows that's an awful display of judgement, and there should be a punishment for such heresy

but i will say jeff mattson has 'it', on guitar he just may be as talented as jerry, too bad he doesn't have the awesome tubes jerry had

i hear a lot of heads that admit GD had poor vocals, fucking bullshit, both jerry and bobby have amazing singing voices

and jerry/bobby/donna harmonies during 1976 and 1977 are so fucking beautiful

phil and vince on the other hand were/are not good singers, and brent is okay, although imo a little too much like bob segar and rolf from the muppets

i think jim henson was a dead haed

i was 19 years old, home from college on spring break, i was just getting into GD and marijuana

my first day home i found my dad's weed stash( who knew?) and view from the vault 2(?) 6/14/91 DVD

this was my first time hearing the songs black throated wind and music never stopped, and honestly, it's not just nostalgic, these two versions remain top three of all time material

ohhh sweet sweet mother of june 91, fucking loved bobby's tone,the heavily re-persianed garcia heavenly leads, and bruce's in your face piano hammering

arguably my all time favorite first set, mainly for these four gems

black throated wind (this is why i came and made this post), goosebumps all throughout the last minute and a half http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVseO5YZFJE
cold rain and snow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10mKnkV2rFI
row jimmy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldPVSLvN2_o (such a dreamy jam into 'broken heart.....')
THE MUSIC NEVER STOPPED - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc5H3Z1bKiY (the climax during this song will kick you in the nuts, slap your face and rape your family! love me some weir trumpet midi!)