• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Good acne face wash for sensitive skin??

dr katz

Bluelighter
I'm 18 (female) and have had acne since preteens. it certainly has gotten better as I get older but I still breakout all the time, its just less intense. I also have black heads. I have tried a lot of washes and remedies. most make it worse. and yes, I give it time to work. I recently figured out that I was sensitive skin.. so my question is: Do any of you recommend and good face wash to use for very sensitive skin?
please don't be rude, I'm just human.

have you tried not using acne face wash for a period of time? stuff is irritating. i wash my face with my body wash, dove sensitive skin, and recommend it.

when i was a teenager is used neutrogena oil-free acne wash. it was like washing my face with acid, which i figured might get rid of acne. when i got older and the acne let up, i was happy to remove that nasty orange stuff from my routine. without consequence. makes me wonder if it was ever really of benefit.

Last edited:
in terms of skin care, its best to start with the fundamentals of healthy skin

- cut out all processed food
- exercise every day for 20-30 minutes (jogging, swimming, yoga, sports)
- try ending your shower with cold water for half a minute
- greatly reduce the amount of grains you intake (e.g. no bread [rye is okay ocassionally], replace wheat pasta with spelt pasta or chinese cabbage)
- increase the amount of vegetables and fruit you eat

if you did that stuff for a week you would notice some big differences.

there are a few good creams and it doesn't hurt to use a natural face wash occasionally, but there is no such thing as a free ticket, it takes some conscious effort to effect change.

have you tried not using acne face wash for a period of time? stuff is irritating. i wash my face with my body wash, dove sensitive skin, and recommend it.

when i was a teenager is used neutrogena oil-free acne wash. it was like washing my face with acid, which i figured might get rid of acne. when i got older and the acne let up, i was happy to remove that nasty orange stuff from my routine. without consequence. makes me wonder if it was ever really of benefit.
Yeah, I have but that makes me break out. I think Dove will irritate my skin as well. Big brands like that leave residue behind but since I haven't tried it I'll try it on my upper back/shoulders first(I break out there too sometimes, sometimes I don't. idk why) :)
thank you for your feedback!

in terms of skin care, its best to start with the fundamentals of healthy skin

- cut out all processed food
- exercise every day for 20-30 minutes (jogging, swimming, yoga, sports)
- try ending your shower with cold water for half a minute
- greatly reduce the amount of grains you intake (e.g. no bread [rye is okay ocassionally], replace wheat pasta with spelt pasta or chinese cabbage)
- increase the amount of vegetables and fruit you eat

if you did that stuff for a week you would notice some big differences.

there are a few good creams and it doesn't hurt to use a natural face wash occasionally, but there is no such thing as a free ticket, it takes some conscious effort to effect change.
I don't eat fast food, haven't in like 2 1/2 years and I try to eat clean, though I know I can do better. also, I am vegetarian. Hopefully I will be able to get a gym membership this month or early June. I didn't know that about the bread though so I'll for sure cut back. thanks so much for your feedback!

also (this is for both of you) the night I posted this I started putting coconut oil on my skin. shortly after waking up and at night after work or right before bed. I also have 2 or 3 spoon fulls if it a day. I was reading that its good for acne and honestly its good for you in pretty much every way from you metabolism to your skin to boosting your immune system and so on. I also do oil pulling twice a day. it's too early to tell how well its working though so I will keep you posted:)

I think the best face wash is just plain water to be honest. I remember trying a few products when I was younger, all of them made it worse. Washing with water as hot as you can stand, then switching to freezing cold, seemed to help me. Now I'm late twenties I only get a spot or two if I eat shit food or get super stressed out, and I basically splash my face twice in the evening before bed with water. In the long run I don't think most products do you any good.. no substitute for a good diet, exercise etc.

Remember to not touch your face with your hands. I'd change your pillow case frequently too. Along with diet etc as mentioned.

I think the best face wash is just plain water to be honest. I remember trying a few products when I was younger, all of them made it worse. Washing with water as hot as you can stand, then switching to freezing cold, seemed to help me. Now I'm late twenties I only get a spot or two if I eat shit food or get super stressed out, and I basically splash my face twice in the evening before bed with water. In the long run I don't think most products do you any good.. no substitute for a good diet, exercise etc.

Remember to not touch your face with your hands. I'd change your pillow case frequently too. Along with diet etc as mentioned.
that's another good habit I have picked up, trying not to touch my face unless they are clean but even then I try not to. also washing my pillow cases every few days

Cetaphil works really good for me

I didn't have the best skin as a teen myself but it wasn't much acne so much as stress and vagrancy catching up with me

Cetaphil won't over dry your skin so I think it would help cuz if you do too much you can make it worse

Cetaphil works really good for me

I didn't have the best skin as a teen myself but it wasn't much acne so much as stress and vagrancy catching up with me

Cetaphil won't over dry your skin so I think it would help cuz if you do too much you can make it worse
I'll look into it :) skin problems could be caused by so many different things, that's the issue. a lot of people just think you can wash it and it'll clear up, which is the case for some people, but it could be things out of your control as well

it won't irritate your skin

that is the most corrosive shit I would put on my face and it has me looking great

i use bronner's magical soap on everything except for my face. i wear glasses now, which has really fucked up my skin routine. usually i had really dry skin which meant i spent most of my time navigating moisturizers. now, my skin is oily and prone to break outs, especially on my nose - you haven't mentioned if you're skin is oily or what, but the magic shit is witch hazel. just a cotton ball in the morning and a cotton ball at night. witch hazel is like 95cents. i got the fancy one with chamomile in it, for 2$. i always use some sort of hydrating cream with SPF after (usually oil of olay because i'm actually a 90 year old woman) because i'm terrified of skin damage. good luck!

i use bronner's magical soap on everything except for my face. i wear glasses now, which has really fucked up my skin routine. usually i had really dry skin which meant i spent most of my time navigating moisturizers. now, my skin is oily and prone to break outs, especially on my nose - you haven't mentioned if you're skin is oily or what, but the magic shit is witch hazel. just a cotton ball in the morning and a cotton ball at night. witch hazel is like 95cents. i got the fancy one with chamomile in it, for 2$. i always use some sort of hydrating cream with SPF after (usually oil of olay because i'm actually a 90 year old woman) because i'm terrified of skin damage. good luck!
wow I don't know why I didn't even think of witch hazel! I just saw some earlier ( I guess technically yesterday now) at my work, didn't get to see the price though.
as for my skin I guess if I had to say between oily and dry it's a little oily but nothing to crazy thankfully. lately its been more on the oily side than usual but that's because of excess coconut oil if I use a generous amount.

I use to have acne and really oily skin... i dunno if my skin is "sensitive" ...but i started using cetaphil oil free for a while and it worked really well... i think all you have to do is to wash your face smoothly and not scrub too hard and also pat your face dry... dont wipe it. and use cetaphil oil free... and only wash your face once a day... and if your skin gets too dry, use cetaphil oil free moisturizer... but only a little bit!

this will change your life... trust... i havent gotten acne since i started doing that... and no more oily skin... i was like... wow... i feel like i found out the meaning of life or something

edit: oh yea! and what ==SS== said... dont touch your face!

I use Dove non scented soap. I have sensitive skin and it has worked wonders one body and face. A characteristic of it I find is a soft feeling. I treated my initial bad acne with soap and clearsil spot acne treatment. They also have a face wash I rarely use but but a combo of the soap and spot remover got rid of my problem. A guy and it restored my confidence in approaching the ladies. I don't ha e particularly oily skin but it gets irritated pretty easily. I hope this helped.

Use a light exfoliation wash, Tea tree oil is a great goto for sensitive skin as witch hazel can dry your skin out.

Make sure your drinking enough water and removing your make up at the end of the day.