• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Going to the hospital to seek medical detox

ElleAZ

Bluelighter
The clonidine I was put on to control w/d while tapering now has my bp all over the place. My
insurance covers substance abuse so I am going to the hospital to see if I can get help. My local hospital has a behavior ward and this is one of their programs. You have to go in through the ER so it’s a bit of a process.

If I can’t get in, I will try a short Bupe taper with my pain doc next week. He’s miserable about it but I don’t have a choice. I don’t think he has ever done it before.

I am still on the 30mg Oxy er daily and am under medicated because I always feel the signs of imminent WD. It’s so exhausting. I hope this is the answer.

Hi Elle

I’m sorry it’s exhausting and hope you get some help to lighten the burden of getting through this on your own. Sending you well wishes and rooting for you.

For the small amount of oxy you're taking, although you're not feeling great on that dose, a short sub taper would be ideal imo. I did 3 day, with the original plan being 4 day, but on day 4i didn't feel like i needed it, i thought the remaining sub in my system would last the final 2 days. I did 8mg (split in 2 doses) on day 1, 2.5mg on day 2, 1.25 on day 3, and the plan was to do .5 on day 4. It worked for me, I'm now 13 days since last DOC, and 10 days since last sub. I feel good. Only thing left for me is falling a sleep on my own, and minor leg aching, but i have 2 shot knees, and feeling like my hips aren't doing too well also.

Ugh I hate going through the ER. But you gotta do what you gotta do

I'm glad for you that the behavioral unit at your local hospital will accept you for detox. Last time I went to the ER, I was hoping to get back into the behavioral unit for alcohol detox and they told me they've stopped doing that and just sent me home with a script for Librium and instructions for self-detox.

What frustrates me is that hospitals generally treat people in the OP's position pretty poorly. Some treat them very compassionately and professionally, don't get me wrong, but there are A LOT that still give people who struggle with addiction in any way a huge amount of grief.

Makes you wonder whether anyone updated staff on the DSM-4, let alone the DSM-5.

Yeah agreed it runs the gamit. Most in my area will only admit opiate addicts for detox if your suicidal.

I mean if someone needs medical attention, they need medical attention. But for opioid specific addiction/withdrawal type stuff the hospital should be the last ditch option, beyond rehab even. The vast majority of places are simply, as you put it, unequipped to take patients like us.

Maybe one day that will change, but that would require a revolution in triage and diagnostic material.

Yeah agreed it runs the gamit. Most in my area will only admit opiate addicts for detox if your suicidal.
When I was told that the hospital I went to no longer does detoxes in their behavioral unit, I asked, "What if I said I was suicidal," and the nurse practitioner just flatly stated that I had given them no reason to believe I was suicidal. I was really desperate to get into that behavioral unit.

There are far and way much worse places in the world than Florida dude. You actually have it really good IMHO :)

This is a nice longitude we're at indeed.

When I was told that the hospital I went to no longer does detoxes in their behavioral unit, I asked, "What if I said I was suicidal," and the nurse practitioner just flatly stated that I had given them no reason to believe I was suicidal. I was really desperate to get into that behavioral unit.

Yeah they know what's up with that trick. Uab just started not giving suboxone for detox so word got around that isn't a good place to detox. They did a great job with my benzo withdrawal though and I even got a private room because I wasn't suicidal. Good shit.

You guys hit the nail on the head. It was awful getting into this program.

I looked up programs with my insurance company and was directed to a behavioral health wing of the local hospital. The website stated that it provided medical detox.

https://www.bannerhealth.com/services/behavioral-health-mental-health/treatment/hospitalization

My surgeon AND my family doctor called ahead to gt me in but they were told that I had to go through ER.

So, shaking and sick, I watched my son graduate from university last Friday and had my husband drive me to the hospital.

The ER was full. Mostly old people who are either visitors or suspicious of urgent care. There was one empty seat so I sent my husband home at 1pm.

I was triaged 45 minutes later. They asked why I was there and I explained that I need to detox from opiates. They asked if I was in withdrawals. I was 45 minutes late for my oxy so I said "yes". I started to cry. The doctor in the triage unit pulled up my file and saw that i did have surgery in their hospital system two months earlier. He typed some stuff and the nurse said that he put in orders for me and that I would be getting the help that I need. However, I would have to wait my turn because I would need to be medially cleared.

So I waited. Over four hours. I gave in and took the oxy at 3:25. Had I been in w/ds I would have been in shit shape. Finally, they bring me back. But I need to wait in the hall for another hour while they get a room ready.

I called my husband and he sat with me. Finally, five hours after arriving, I am put into a room. I asked the attendant if I would go straight to detox. He said that I would likely be stabilized for w/ds and sent home.

WTF?

They tried to get me a gown and to hook me up to monitors. I declined. They tried and IV. I declined. I said that I wanted to speak to the behavioral health ward before we went any further. I said that the doc in triage had put in orders for me. It meant nothing. An hour later, a social worker slinked in and handed me a sheet of paper with a list of other detox centers with and admonishment to make sure they took my insurance. I went bug eyed.

I refused to accept the paper and to leave. I demanded to speak to someone on that floor. The social worker got pissed and said that she would have to call up there, that there may not even be a bed, and there likely wasn't a doctor available. I was enraged that she was putting the burden on me that I wanted her to do her damn job. During this, my husband's phone was recording everything. She eventually came back and said that I needed to be approved by a crisis counselor interview. Again, like I was asking too much.

It went like this: I am NOT leaving. Your hospital advertises this service. Your hospital takes my insurance. I have a medical need and I am coming to you for help. You have no right to deny me this service. And since not a single doctor has stood up for me when I needed it,I will stand up for myself. I will wait for the counselor.

My husband added: If anything happens to my wife as a result of you turning her away, when it was your surgeon who got her hooked, and your hospital that didn't follow up on her care, I will hold you responsible legally.

Not 15 minutes later, she wheeled in a computer for a Skype call. I was to speak to a crisis counselor. She wanted to know what was going on. Having someone who wanted to listen just broke me wide open. I told her about the surgery and how I wasn't on medication before it, but now I am addicted. I told her how I feared the shaking of withdrawals causing me to fall on my delicate hip replacement. I told her that I was afraid of my kids finding me knocked out because I had double dosed at least once to stop the withdrawals. This wasn't enough.

She wanted to know if I had ever been molested.

I had to dredge up 40 year old memories to satisfy her criteria for emotional instability. I wasn't suicidal or homicidal. But somehow being an abuse victim was sufficient. The worst of it was when my husband said to her something that he hadn't said to me. He said that I had changed and he didn't know me anymore. He said my kids had to take turns watching me because he didn't know what he would come to.

The counselor said that she would speak to the doctor.

They moved me to another area to free up space. I was placed with a nurse who had just been grabbed from the behavioral ward to help with the crowd. In the end, I think she was the pivotal human player in getting me in because she understood my story and ran back and forth to the doctor on the phone to plead my case. More hours passed while I was consumed with anxiety about being sent home. Finally, 14 hours after arriving to ER, I was brought upstairs. I had to go through an invasive exam and all of my belongings but my shirt and panties were bagged. My husband brought me a nightgown which I wore while I walked the halls for hours (with my walker) in panic as the withdrawals came. I was inducted on subs at the 26th hour.

While there I found many people detoxing, but they had been brought in in ambulances or police cars. None had checked themselves in.

I am horrified that asking for help isn't enough. If addiction is a disease, why do they have a right to deny treatment? Addiction has become a CHARACTER issue. They feel comfortable pushing our problems back on us. Our culture won't shame an obese over-eater who faces a myriad of lifestyle diseases that drain our insurance resources, but they will send an addict to suffer alone because somehow being a glutton is more desirable than wanting to escape reality with a pill, or being trapped in dependence.

So that's how I got in. They turned me inside out and made me feel small and worthless before giving me an opportunity to heal. Once in, it was wonderful. I was treated with respect and kindness. But I fought and had to cry, and threaten, and fall into despair.

Finally, but not finally, I give all thanks to God for comforting me in the dark and quiet, and providing a way during this time when I was scared and helpless. I sang to Him for five days and my experience in that unit has changed my life in more ways than I can ever express.

Last edited:
You guys hit the nail on the head. It was awful getting into this program.

I looked up programs with my insurance company and was directed to a behavioral health wing of the local hospital. The website stated that it provided medical detox.

https://www.bannerhealth.com/services/behavioral-health-mental-health/treatment/hospitalization

My surgeon AND my family doctor called ahead to gt me in but they were told that I had to go through ER.

So, shaking and sick, I watched my son graduate from university last Friday and had my husband drive me to the hospital.

The ER was full. Mostly old people who are either visitors or suspicious of urgent care. There was one empty seat so I sent my husband home at 1pm.

I was triaged 45 minutes later. They asked why I was there and I explained that I need to detox from opiates. They asked if I was in withdrawals. I was 45 minutes late for my oxy so I said "yes". I started to cry. The doctor in the triage unit pulled up my file and saw that i did have surgery in their hospital system two months earlier. He typed some stuff and the nurse said that he put in orders for me and that I would be getting the help that I need. However, I would have to wait my turn because I would need to be medially cleared.

So I waited. Over four hours. I gave in and took the oxy at 3:25. Had I been in w/ds I would have been in shit shape. Finally, they bring me back. But I need to wait in the hall for another hour while they get a room ready.

I called my husband and he sat with me. Finally, five hours after arriving, I am put into a room. I asked the attendant if I would go straight to detox. He said that I would likely be stabilized for w/ds and sent home.

WTF?

They tried to get me a gown and to hook me up to monitors. I declined. They tried and IV. I declined. I said that I wanted to speak to the behavioral health ward before we went any further. I said that the doc in triage had put in orders for me. It meant nothing. An hour later, a social worker slinked in and handed me a sheet of paper with a list of other detox centers with and admonishment to make sure they took my insurance. I went bug eyed.

I refused to accept the paper and to leave. I demanded to speak to someone on that floor. The social worker got pissed and said that she would have to call up there, that there may not even be a bed, and there likely wasn't a doctor available. I was enraged that she was putting the burden on me that I wanted her to do her damn job. During this, my husband's phone was recording everything. She eventually came back and said that I needed to be approved by a crisis counselor interview. Again, like I was asking too much.

It went like this: I am NOT leaving. Your hospital advertises this service. Your hospital takes my insurance. I have a medical need and I am coming to you for help. You have no right to deny me this service. And since not a single doctor has stood up for me when I needed it,I will stand up for myself. I will wait for the counselor.

My husband added: If anything happens to my wife as a result of you turning her away, when it was your surgeon who got her hooked, and your hospital that didn't follow up on her care, I will hold you responsible legally.

Not 15 minutes later, she wheeled in a computer for a Skype call. I was to speak to a crisis counselor. She wanted to know what was going on. Having someone who wanted to listen just broke me wide open. I told her about the surgery and how I wasn't on medication before it, but now I am addicted. I told her how I feared the shaking of withdrawals causing me to fall on my delicate hip replacement. I told her that I was afraid of my kids finding me knocked out because I had double dosed at least once to stop the withdrawals. This wasn't enough.

She wanted to know if I had ever been molested.

I had to dredge up 40 year old memories to satisfy her criteria for emotional instability. I wasn't suicidal or homicidal. But somehow being an abuse victim was sufficient. The worst of it was when my husband said to her something that he hadn't said to me. He said that I had changed and he didn't know me anymore. He said my kids had to take turns watching me because he didn't know what he would come to.

The counselor said that she would speak to the doctor.

They moved me to another area to free up space. I was placed with a nurse who had just been grabbed from the behavioral ward to help with the crowd. In the end, I think she was the pivotal human player in getting me in because she understood my story and ran back and forth to the doctor on the phone to plead my case. More hours passed while I was consumed with anxiety about being sent home. Finally, 14 hours after arriving to ER, I was brought upstairs. I had to go through an invasive exam and all of my belongings but my shirt and panties were bagged. My husband brought me a nightgown which I wore while I walked the halls for hours (with my walker) in panic as the withdrawals came. I was inducted on subs at the 26th hour.

While there I found many people detoxing, but they had been brought in in ambulances or police cars. None had checked themselves in.

I am horrified that asking for help isn't enough. If addiction is a disease, why do they have a right to deny treatment? Addiction has become a CHARACTER issue. They feel comfortable pushing our problems back on us. Our culture won't shame an obese over-eater who faces a myriad of lifestyle diseases that drain our insurance resources, but they will send an addict to suffer alone because somehow being a glutton is more desirable than wanting to escape reality with a pill, or being trapped in dependence.

So that's how I got in. They turned me inside out and made me feel small and worthless before giving me an opportunity to heal. Once in, it was wonderful. I was treated with respect and kindness. But I fought and had to cry, and threaten, and fall into despair.

Finally, but not finally, I give all thanks to God for comforting me in the dark and quiet, and providing a way during this time when I was scared and helpless. I sang to Him for five days and my experience in that unit has changed my life in more ways than I can ever express.

Yeah that sounds pretty standard unfortunately. I'm glad it worked out in the end though. How are you doing now that you're out?