• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Going from daily H and Meth use to only using H, experiencing meth WD?

Intrinsic man

Bluelighter
Hello all,

Been AGES since I've posted here, but alas, I am back and in search of answers.

As the title suggests, I have been using heroin while also smoking meth for about 2 1/2 months now. To be more specific, I've been using H regularly for years, however, just over 2 months ago I began combining my heroin use with meth as my access to the latter became constant and inexpensive. I found that meth counteracted the negative side effects I occasionally experienced while using heroin that, at times, would hinder my ability to work efficiently. I used meth mostly for its effectiveness in balancing the effects I experienced from H instead of it being a recreational choice. At first, the effects were more prominent but, as is true for all drugs, as time went on (honestly after only about 5 or 6 days of consecutive use) I hardly even noticed any effect from the meth unless I smoked more and more, however, even when I would smoke a decent amount, it's effects were still subtle and seemingly only lasted a fraction of what it used to. This isn't really a complaint as it still accomplished its purpose of balancing out the heroin, which is all I cared about.

As someone who has dealt with a physical addiction to heroin and the terrible withdrawals that come with it, I didn't even think twice about any possible adverse effects I might experience if I were to stop using the meth, even after nearly 3 months of continual use. I have recently noticed, however, that on the occasions where I only have heroin and am unable to pair it with a little meth, I feel very, very groggy and will often get stuck in a weird, perpetual nod, even though I'm hardly feeling anything form the H itself. It's like an intense sleepiness that cannot be cured, no matter what you do.

The correlation is so clear and obvious there's no doubt in my mind this is a symptom of meth discontinuation. Is this a true withdrawal from meth, or is it a matter of relativity? It was my understanding that there were no physical withdrawals from meth, and that any adverse effects from discontinuation, such as anxiety, cravings, lack of attention, etc., would be psychological in nature. Having been both physically and psychologically addicted to opiates, cigarettes and for a time alcohol, I am very familiar with the difference. The side effect I described is almost certainly physical in nature.

Taking all this into consideration, what does this mean for me? Is it possible to become truly physically addicted to meth? Can I expect more severe symptoms the longer I go without? How long will they last? Is tapering effective like in the instance of opiate withdrawal? Has anyone experienced something similar, or has anyone experienced physical withdrawal from meth on its own, without the use of opiates playing a factor?

Sorry for the long post guys and, as always, thanks for your input!

No physical withdrawal from meth, it's just very taxing on your body. You're going to be fatigued for a while, because your body is trying to recover.

I see.

What about meth usage is taxing to ones body, exactly? Obviously I understand that in most instances, users will not eat or sleep for days, sometimes weeks at a time. The frequency and quantity of dose is also often very high, causing high blood pressure and rapid heart rate for sustained periods of time. I am curious about my specific situation, as none of the aforementioned characteristics apply; I sleep normally (well, relatively normal.. I never stay up longer than 36 hours at a time) and I have a regular, healthy eating schedule. I also don't use to the point of feeling "tweaked" as I do not particularly enjoy stimulants, however, I have noticed that my heart rate is above average while under the influence, although not to a degree that would be considered unusual (around 100 bpm).

I know there are differences, but I've always been under the impression that meth is fairly similar to medications like adderall. I've always considered my usage comparable to someone who takes medications such as these ( My doses are mild and I don't smoke any after 5 pm).

The heart rate, the adrenal release, all of that takes a toll on the body, even people who use adderall as prescribed would feel similar symptoms if they quit cold turkey, it's just the nature of stimulants.

Meth withdrawal is basically recovery from severe sleep deprivation, starvation and dehydration followed by a short period of fatigue and flat effect or depression - likely with anxiety. Unless you've really been at it for a long time (years) I wouldn't expect any serious problems unless you've got latent mental health issues or were taking epic doses. A 3 month burn would hardly register in my personal history of amphetamine abuse (some of it meth). There is no sustained withdrawal though it can easily throw you into depression if you fuck your life up.

I have however noticed that combining a meth and an opiate habit results in some pretty wacked out sleep problems. Opiates mess up sleep architecture and meth .. well .. sleep is for people who don't take meth. I can never recover properly from a meth burn while I'm dosing opiates as I don't sleep for long or soundly and wake up in WDs. Depends on how severe your opiate habit is but I'd recommend trying to sleep more even though it will probably be fragmented. If you can do 8 hours in 2 hour clips over a day you'll probably feel a world better and if it's the problem - you'll have no trouble doing it.

I'm allergic to H though and tend to take fentanyl derivatives so my opiate induced sleep issues are probably a lot more problematic than yours. I tend to wind up in noticeable WD after 4 hours ... so go figure. Just a thought.