• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Glucotoxicity, tea, coffee and diabetes

>Marquis<

Bluelighter
Enlighten me dudes. I've read recently that both tea and coffee can ward off diabetes (though caffiene alone can't) by improving the action of insulin. But I thought that they'd actually increase the risk of getting diabetes. I mean, being stimulants they increase the level of stress hormones in the body and thus increase blood glucose levels, right? Which means greater insulin production which in turn means the development of insulin resistance and eventually diabetes. Essentially the same as eating a diet that'll cause higher blood glucose levels, which we all know isn't on top of the good ideas list of anyone who doesn't want diabetes.

Am I wrong about that? And wouldn't "improving the action of insulin" in a person who didn't actually have type 2 diabetes simply have the same action as high levels of insulin would have, ie result in the development of insulin resistance? I'm but a simple layman but from whatever knowledge I've gleaned on how diabetes develops that seems to make sense to me. What do you think?

Also on a slightly different topic, does anyone know at what dosage glucose produces permanent damage to the body? This is just because I'd like to try DXM again but there's at least 100g of glucose/sucrose in each bottle of syrup where I live and considering I'd need three for a trip.... that's a whole lot of sugar man. Nasty.

Dude I ate a 5lb cheesecake in a few hours the Thanksgiving before last. There was at least a pound (455g) of sucrose in there. I was pretty tired, but I didn't even get a stomach ache.

>Marquis< said:
This is just because I'd like to try DXM again but there's at least 100g of glucose/sucrose in each bottle of syrup where I live and considering I'd need three for a trip.... that's a whole lot of sugar man. Nasty.

It is a lot of sugar to be consuming on a regular basis, but to put this into perspective, a 355mL can of coke or pepsi has ~50g of sugar in it.

Coke is better, pepsi is too sweet, then again, I cannot tolerate caffeine in either so the taste is purely academic :)