• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids GHB for insomnia/night sweats & safety combining it with Pregabalin

pally pete

Bluelighter
Hello all,

I'm have tried the x2 strength GHB before. Last time I took 10ml and felt great. This time I took 10ml and nearly OD'd!

I took a huge dose of Diazepam over 24 hours ago out of desperation to try and sleep, but I'm sure this had some bearing on situation I found myself in with regards to the OD today..

It's from the same supplier who's been doing it for 26 years, so I trust their judgement.

I just wondered if it is dangerous to take GHB alongside my prescribed 600 mg dose of Pregabalin?

I've had a serious case of insomnia/night sweats for the past 20 days - since I came off Morphine (prescribed) and which also coincided with me giving up smoking Cannabis.

Would a smaller dose of GHB help with the insomnia/night sweats?

I doubt it would be PAWS from the Morphine, as I have no other symptoms.. Other than my usual high levels of anxiety and agoraphobia.

I don't want to take a backwards step, but for process of elimination I've ordered some Cannabis cookies/brownies, to see if these will relieve my insomnia/night sweats.

My GP has just prescribed me 5-10 mg of Zolpidem to try and help get my sleep cycle back.. Which I doubt will help owing to my huge Benzo tolerance. Also wondered the dangers of mixing Zolpidem with GHB?

Any help/advice/info much appreciated.

Thanks ;)

GABA drugs are not sustainable options for sleep control. You need to take less of them if you want to get control over your sleep, sorry to report :(

I ran up a huge ghb tolerance and 10 mL is a huge dose. If it was anywhere near pure that would kill just about everyone.

I’d tread lightly with ghb and other sedatives or opiates some people never wake up from a Xanax bar and a few cocktails. Tread with caution my friend

To get of ghb, smoke weed!!! And taper down lil bit every couple days. For sleep get gaba pentins and benzo's but only when you must! Don't need another addiction. Trust me, every day will very slowly get better. Baclofen very useful as well. Also trazidone.

The thing about GHB is that in its pure form, it is a solid, a sort of waxy powder. But since it is extremely hygroscopic (it absorbs water from the air very rapidly), it will turn into a liquid in a very short time, so it's always distributed as a liquid solution. But because of this, it can be more or less concentrated. Oftentimes, it is diluted more than it needs to be, since that makes less of it go further. With properly high concentration GHB solution, 10mL is going to be 10 grams, or nearly so, which is a huge dose that is quite dangerous to take all at once. But oftentimes you'll find it much more diluted. In fact it can be any amount of diluted... someone could mix 1 gram of GHB with 10mL of water if they wanted to, so 10mL of GHB liquid, in that case, would be the low dose of 1 gram of GHB. It sounds like one time you got more diluted GHB, and the next time you got highly concentrated GHB.

As for using it for sleep, it's really good for falling asleep, but the problem is that it wears off in just a few hours, and you get rebound dopamine stimulation when it wears off, so you will find yourself suddenly waking up after only around 4 hours of sleep, and need to take more to sleep the rest of the night, because you wake up wide awake and stimulated. As you gain tolerance to it, this effect becomes greater. And GHB is quite physically addictive, especially if you're dosing multiple times in a day (or night). So it's a slippery slope. Using gabaergics (benzos, alcohol, GHB, etc) to sleep is risky, and difficult to manage long-term. it's very easy to slip into addiction.

A couple of things that have helped me (I suffer from insomnia pretty frequently) are as follows. One is the antihistamine doxylamine (in America, the brand name Unisom - some Unisom formulations use diphenhydramine, which is decent too but not as good for sleep as doxylamine). It lasts for the whole night and is pretty sedating, I have had pretty good luck with it. Another is to take a small dose of quetiapine (the antipsychotic Seroquel). Taking 25mg or even less will knock you right out, without having too much of an undesirable antipsychotic effect.

A risky approach, but that works for me fairly well, is to rotate drugs so you're not taking anything every day. Rotating a sedating benzo like etizolam or alprazolam one night, an antihistamine like doxylamine the next night, a gabapentinoid like phenibut or pregabalin the next night, and quetiapine the next night, and then repeating, will allow you to avoid developing tolerance to any of these drugs and avoid dependence. I would just avoid GHB for sleep, as it doesn't last long enough, but if it works for you and you sleep the whole night, you could use it as one of your rotation. You have to be really vigilant to make sure you avoid slipping into dependence on any of them, but it can be done, if you're careful.

Oh and yeah, I forgot about trazodone, which the above poster mentioned, but that's another drug that is good for sleep, that has a different mechanism of action and can be added to your rotation.

Also try to rotate not taking anything in there, too. Improving your sleep schedule and nighttime rituals can help more than you might think. Try going to bed at the same time every night, avoid screen time before bed (and definitely don't watch TV or use your phone to try to sleep), and installing a program that shifts off the blue light from the colors on your screen once it gets dark (I use the program f.lux, personally) can really help. Drugs can help force you to sleep, for sure, but many people can train themselves to experience insomnia less, by changing their habits.