• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin Getting rid of cotton fever

What is and how do I get rid of cotton fever?

It is when you draw your drugs through a filter & pick up something from it, as you I.V. for your ROA it goes right inside you & makes you feel very ill.
There is nothing you can do but ride it out & I'd from my experience NOT go shoot more heroin as said above, that will really make you fucking ILL believe me.

A friend once used a piece of cotton to draw his heroin up that had been used to take his moms nail polish off so it had amounts of acetone on it, he shot that & he said he had never felt so ill in his life. Watch what the fuck you get into!!!!!!!!

Zopiclone bandit is definitely right, shooting up more H isn't a smart thing to do. I was just talking about what I did which isn't a good harm reduction practice at all.

I have heard theories that the causes are cotton fibres, fibres from other filters used, fungus, mould, or bacteria present in the environment which multiply in damp cottons, bacteria which are normally found in natural cotton, and others. Some say it is the bacteraemia itself, a sort of self-limiting dry run of sepsis, whilst others say it is an exotoxin which bacteria excrete and leave in the cotton,. Older cottons have more bacteria, more fungus, more viruses, and in particular, the fibres get brittle and break more easily. Allergic reaction to foreign matter is one of the more common theories about what causes this.

When it sets in, it pretty much just has to run its course. It does get less severe in subsequent cases and the duration can range from 15 minutes to 30 hours or so. Marked shortness of breath should not be ignored, of course.

The fever part of it can vary -- I have seen temperature rise to 42°C in the first few minutes, then go down to 39°C and stay there for the rest of the incident and return to normal over several hours after the remaining symptoms are gone. The most common sequelae are probably exhaustion and sore muscles.

I do know that using old cottons to compound shots in times of emergency increases the risk, which is why one perhaps should extract the drug traces from the cottons within 24 hours of use, concentrate the solution (use distilled water, not saline for the extraction because you will want to subject it to prolonged boiling both to pasteurise and concentrate the solution) and freeze it if it is not to be used right away.

Of course, for filtration, a wheel filter is the optimum. If improvising filtration, however, if you can find a filtering material which is hydrophobic and will not absorb the fluid that is better, and drug won't be left behind in the filter to any great extent for that reason, and there are not all these damp nooks and crannies for shit to grow.

I do know that using old cottons to compound shots in times of emergency increases the risk

I've done "washes" before from cottons that have been sitting around in pots for days, if not a week or more & even seen people cook up with rain water taken from the floor outside & then cook cottons up & shoot that & nothing happened to them (DONT DO IT KIDS, BAD H.R.)

A guy I used to share a flat with used to cook up with bits of old blood still in his pot & just blow the dust off I am not joking here & he has only ever had "bad hits" when everything looked clean. Oh God the smell of cooking heroin with blood in the pot still makes my stomach flip to this day.

I have heard of people getting symptoms similar to cotton fever after re-using a syringe, needle, or butterfly, in the latter case after rinsing out with tap water, with no cotton anywhere in sight, and also get the impression that washing and/or boiling cottons owes its popularity to working without causing cotton fever 99 times out of 100 so maybe this points to the bloodstream getting a shower of bacteria, fungi, mould, foreign objects and so forth when non-sterile injections are done, and the precipitating factor could be some kind of immune or allergic reaction to something in particular.

Since cotton fever can cause the chest to tighten up and even cause a little bit fluid to leak in, taking another shot of smack or the like is contraindicated unless it is clear that trouble breathing is not part of the cotton fever. The one time I got it really bad was the first time, and was from using the same cotton to filter morphine solutions 30 hours apart, and I didn't realise what exactly was happening -- I came across some dextromoramide phials I'd forgotten I had, and when I shot it up, it made a good dent in the cotton fever.

I had the worst cotton fever for 3 days before. From washing a bunch of roxi 5 leftover binder/filler. I learned my lesson! Happened a few times before but never that bad. I probs had a minor infection.
I don’t wash anymore. When Im out, Im out, and back to the kratom. The site i get wheel filters from seems to stop carrying the top grade nice ones I used to get and are out of stock of the normal Watman. Ive been using a ton of sterile gauzes in steril 5cc syringes. Yes i use huge syringes. Most ppl with think that is pure blasphemy but I get them with my meds I need to IV anyway for mybleeding disorder. Free sterile rigs!