• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Getting my dopamine baseline back to normal after stimulants

reyn4

Bluelighter
Hi, these last two months I had a few parties that I greeted and was greeted with stimulants

While the frequency was not high (once a week), sometimes my dosages of stimulants was near 5-600 mg. Other times around 200mg

I am coming down at the moment, and took 0.13 xanax. I do not intend to use benzos, and have upheld myself from taking even when having terrible comedowns, due to me keeping these in case of serotonin syndrome for me or for someone in need. But I feel like my dabbling with stimulants has to end for a while as my motivation and happiness have gone down quite hard. I can't enjoy my favorite shows and don't manifest any interest in my usual interest or things that use to make me happy.

This is probably due to my ADHD. Afaik, all negative effects of substances are usually worse for people like me.

My plan is to try and only do physical activities and reading while keeping me away from all kind of devices, at least tomorrow. Then ease myself into the usual devices I use by the second day.

The question is: Do I take my concerta meds? Should I wait a few days (3-4?) before starting over my meds? Is there something that can ease my current situation like weed? And when I saw weed, I mean about 50mg of flower, as I have not smoked any in over a month.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks

It's best to take your Concerta as prescribed and resume normal activities

It's important to have some kind of sober routine and stick to it

Have you watched The Blacklist?

It's an AMAZING show currently in season 9

It's best to take your Concerta as prescribed and resume normal activities

It's important to have some kind of sober routine and stick to it

Have you watched The Blacklist?

It's an AMAZING show currently in season 9
Can you please let me know why resuming my meds would be the better option? My current knowledge would tell me that my tolerance for the meds might be too high due to cross-tolerance between stimulants, but today when I took my meds, I did feel some of the effects, but motivation was still really down. Just a speedy feeling of stimulation that my brain didn't know what to do with... The reason why I have taken my meds inconsistently was a VERY f-ed up sleep schedule, and trying to reduce my tolerance for parties.

I have not seen The Blacklist, but I cannot bring myself to watch any series at the moment. I've been hyped about The Witcher season 2, but I am unable to watch it as per what I said, low motivation for anything...which scares me, as I am supposed to start being productive the following week. Not saying your suggestion isn't good! I actually did hear a lot of good things about it!

Thanks for answering!

Can you please let me know why resuming my meds would be the better option? My current knowledge would tell me that my tolerance for the meds might be too high due to cross-tolerance between stimulants, but today when I took my meds, I did feel some of the effects, but motivation was still really down. Just a speedy feeling of stimulation that my brain didn't know what to do with... The reason why I have taken my meds inconsistently was a VERY f-ed up sleep schedule, and trying to reduce my tolerance for parties.

I have not seen The Blacklist, but I cannot bring myself to watch any series at the moment. I've been hyped about The Witcher season 2, but I am unable to watch it as per what I said, low motivation for anything...which scares me, as I am supposed to start being productive the following week. Not saying your suggestion isn't good! I actually did hear a lot of good things about it!

Thanks for answering!
Like I said, it's best to have a sober routine, taking ADHD medications as prescribed should be a part of that routine. If you've been partying then your tolerance could be higher for sure but things should even out if you abstain from taking any stimulants for recreation.

Hi, these last two months I had a few parties that I greeted and was greeted with stimulants

While the frequency was not high (once a week), sometimes my dosages of stimulants was near 5-600 mg. Other times around 200mg

I am coming down at the moment, and took 0.13 xanax. I do not intend to use benzos, and have upheld myself from taking even when having terrible comedowns, due to me keeping these in case of serotonin syndrome for me or for someone in need. But I feel like my dabbling with stimulants has to end for a while as my motivation and happiness have gone down quite hard. I can't enjoy my favorite shows and don't manifest any interest in my usual interest or things that use to make me happy.

This is probably due to my ADHD. Afaik, all negative effects of substances are usually worse for people like me.

My plan is to try and only do physical activities and reading while keeping me away from all kind of devices, at least tomorrow. Then ease myself into the usual devices I use by the second day.

The question is: Do I take my concerta meds? Should I wait a few days (3-4?) before starting over my meds? Is there something that can ease my current situation like weed? And when I saw weed, I mean about 50mg of flower, as I have not smoked any in over a month.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks
Id try the antihistamines chlorpheniramine or diphenhydramine. I'd try them together even in theraputic doses. I notice they give slight stimulation all day with no comedown, especially chlorpheniramine, and especially especially promethazine. I take them with opioids, weed and benzos tho. I feel like they would work on their own atleast a little bit, because my combo is far superior than just my opioids, benzos, and weed alone! It may not be the best option just my opinion.

Tolerance to stimulants indeed is a problem, imo it's a lie that genuine AD(H)D people would profit indefinitely from them - but there's also an option, in the form of well another medicine. Dissociatives and specially memantine can restore the effects you had in the beginning and severely slow down tolerance development. Without memantine, 18mg methylphenidate would be strong on day 1 and faded to unnoticeability on day 7 or 10 but together with either memantine or low-dose dextromethorphan effects remained for months, actually it wasn't tolerance but tachycardia and other stimulant side effects which made me stop. Here dexamphetamine has a better profile but it's expensive and somewhat hard to get..

There's no need to 'wash out' before starting prescribed meds unless it is an irreversible MAOI (some older, second line antidepressants) but ADHD meds aren't problematic. When combining with memantine or DXM cut the dosage in half until you know how you react. With memantine I'd start with 20mg (lower dosages = higher brain fog sometimes from nACh antagonism - oh, it will interfere with tobacco) and with DXM with maybe 60mg/d. Check your blood pressure and BPM.

But also the anhedonia after stims tends to resolve naturally after 1-2 (-4 in more severe cases) weeks, usually only a few days. It's hard but 'just in your mind' - stupid but maybe tell yourself that opiates cause x10 more heavy withdrawals and people go through it. More problematic is to resist the urge/cravings imo.

Id try the antihistamines chlorpheniramine or diphenhydramine. I'd try them together even in theraputic doses. I notice they give slight stimulation all day with no comedown, especially chlorpheniramine, and especially especially promethazine. I take them with opioids, weed and benzos tho. I feel like they would work on their own atleast a little bit, because my combo is far superior than just my opioids, benzos, and weed alone! It may not be the best option just my opinion.
Stimulation from first-gen antihistamines? You know they're sold as sleeping aids?

Tolerance to stimulants indeed is a problem, imo it's a lie that genuine AD(H)D people would profit indefinitely from them - but there's also an option, in the form of well another medicine. Dissociatives and specially memantine can restore the effects you had in the beginning and severely slow down tolerance development. Without memantine, 18mg methylphenidate would be strong on day 1 and faded to unnoticeability on day 7 or 10 but together with either memantine or low-dose dextromethorphan effects remained for months, actually it wasn't tolerance but tachycardia and other stimulant side effects which made me stop. Here dexamphetamine has a better profile but it's expensive and somewhat hard to get..

There's no need to 'wash out' before starting prescribed meds unless it is an irreversible MAOI (some older, second line antidepressants) but ADHD meds aren't problematic. When combining with memantine or DXM cut the dosage in half until you know how you react. With memantine I'd start with 20mg (lower dosages = higher brain fog sometimes from nACh antagonism - oh, it will interfere with tobacco) and with DXM with maybe 60mg/d. Check your blood pressure and BPM.

But also the anhedonia after stims tends to resolve naturally after 1-2 (-4 in more severe cases) weeks, usually only a few days. It's hard but 'just in your mind' - stupid but maybe tell yourself that opiates cause x10 more heavy withdrawals and people go through it. More problematic is to resist the urge/cravings imo.

Stimulation from first-gen antihistamines? You know they're sold as sleeping aids?
Yes I do know they're sold as sleep aids, but they also work on other receptors like serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and others. People think that they block those receptors, which is technically true, but they actually block their re-up take which increases those neurotransmitters leading to more serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and others in your body. Stimulants have stimulant effects from norepinephrine, and dopamine being released, and the antihistamine chlorpheniramine releases dopamine and norepinephrine pretty strongly. It releases serotonin ever more so. Other antihistamines do as well, not all of them, but a good bit of them do. They make me feel sedated all day with slight stimulation all day, even at night time. I can sleep like a baby every night on my combo if I smoke some weed right before I go to bed too.

Tolerance to stimulants indeed is a problem, imo it's a lie that genuine AD(H)D people would profit indefinitely from them
I keep hearing my psych telling me about this, can't this be solved by simply quitting your meds for a 1-2 week period? Wouldn't that reset your tolerance?
but maybe tell yourself that opiates cause x10 more heavy withdrawals
it is actually a thought I had recently, comparing my withdrawals to the ones that really have it bad. This thought is enough to keep me away from opiates all my life, I had the chance to actually use some once (Tramadol) but the stories I see about opiates are enough to keep me away from just being curious.
Id try the antihistamines chlorpheniramine or diphenhydramine
I'll see what I can find, from initial google searches these may not be available where I live. Would Loratidine (Claritine) be a substitute? This is easily available here.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

There is a school of thought (according to my psychiatrist) that holds people who genuinely have ADHD (which is frequently misdiagnosed) do not develop tolerance to their stimulant meds once they are receiving their ideal dose.

Personally, I think there is some truth in this as my prescribed dose of dexamfetamine remained constant and totally effective in relieving my symptoms for almost 5 years.

However, overloading with stims like meth significantly reduces the effectiveness of ADHD stim meds for a period. That said, many people taking ADHD stims only take them on days that they work or need maximum functionality. They skip weekends, days off, holidays etc etc.

So, if you can go a few days or a week performing sub-optimally and can cope with your ADHD symptoms I don’t see a major problem with taking a break while your brain recovers. Most likely, even with your normal med dose you are going to be performing sub-optimally and experience ADHD-like symptoms anyway while you recover from your stim binge.

I keep hearing my psych telling me about this, can't this be solved by simply quitting your meds for a 1-2 week period? Wouldn't that reset your tolerance?

it is actually a thought I had recently, comparing my withdrawals to the ones that really have it bad. This thought is enough to keep me away from opiates all my life, I had the chance to actually use some once (Tramadol) but the stories I see about opiates are enough to keep me away from just being curious.

I'll see what I can find, from initial google searches these may not be available where I live. Would Loratidine (Claritine) be a substitute? This is easily available here.

Thanks for all the replies!!!
I'm not too sure, but I wouldn't doubt it.

There is a school of thought (according to my psychiatrist) that holds people who genuinely have ADHD (which is frequently misdiagnosed) do not develop tolerance to their stimulant meds once they are receiving their ideal dose.

Personally, I think there is some truth in this as my prescribed dose of dexamfetamine remained constant and totally effective in relieving my symptoms for almost 5 years.

However, overloading with stims like meth significantly reduces the effectiveness of ADHD stim meds for a period. That said, many people taking ADHD stims only take them on days that they work or need maximum functionality. They skip weekends, days off, holidays etc etc.

So, if you can go a few days or a week performing sub-optimally and can cope with your ADHD symptoms I don’t see a major problem with taking a break while your brain recovers. Most likely, even with your normal med dose you are going to be performing sub-optimally and experience ADHD-like symptoms anyway while you recover from your stim binge.
I'm currently waiting to have an ADHD psychiatric assessment. 33yro male looking into adult diagnosis. I decided to look into this when my son got diagnosed last year.

In the meantime I have used 4F-MPH and 2FMA at low doses to maintain functionality and find that my amphetamine tolerance has actually lowered a bit because I'm starting to find the sweet spot with morning dosage. So this definitely adds some fact to the school of thought as well. And it feels more like a wave of calm along with the stimulation, so I'm hoping the doctor can diagnose me correctly because I'm very aware how life changing a proper diagnosis can be.