• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Getting an eye exam with constricted pupils from opioids?

JustferFun

Bluelighter
I know this is a super specific question and I won't be the least bit surprised if I don't get a good answer. I'm mainly just curious.

I have an eye exam tomorrow and it occurred to me that I probably shouldn't take anything before going in. Obviously opiates/ opioids constrict your pupils. Aside from having to explain your constricted pupils to the eye doctor, I was just wondering what kind of effect being on opioids might have on the exam. Maybe they would just postpone the exam. Then again, some people with severe pain have to be on them all the time. Anyone who wears glasses knows that they dilate your pupils for the exam, so I'm guessing there must be some kind of relevant effect. I'm just glad I remembered this because it could've easily slipped my mind. I won't be taking anything beforehand. The appointment is in the afternoon. I've never really paid attention to how long your pupils stay constricted after a dose, so I'm also wondering how many hours before the appointment I should avoid taking anything. But just to be safe, I'm not going to take anything anyways. I'm just curious.

if you have a morning or afternoon appointment, try not taking anything that day and take it after you're done? the only thing is to have your pupils at normal dilating/constricting capacity :) good luck, i'm curious about this as well..

Interesting, I've also been wondering about this. I need to update my glasses prescription.

I've noticed that kratom seems to have semi-permanently constricted my pupils after so many years. Even if I don't take it, my pupils remain constricted for days, weeks, even months.....

Anyways, @JustferFun one thing I've noticed is that aerobic exercise will dilate my pupils to a more regular size for a couple hours afterwards, even if I've taken an opioid prior. Maybe worth considering. Jogging 2 or 3 miles does it for me.

I have a gut feeling that since the drops that dialate your eyes act locally at the muscles in the iris themselves to either release norepihrine or block muscarinic receptors, they will override the opioid effects of the brain sending less norepinephrine/releasing more acetylcholine onto those muscles.

Not getting super faded would definately be a wise bet hedge, though.

You’re right, atropine drops would cause dilated pupils no matter what opiate and in how big dose is taken.

a few years ago i went in just on a slight withdraw however when i recieved my glasses they were not at the correct strength so i would go in as you spend the majority of youre life as i had to go have them redone..when i was on my normal dose.

Makes perfect sense as reading on high enough dose of delirics that dilate pupils make reading impossible and I remember reading trip report where person after ingesting Datura or something was able to read without glasses.