• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Gettin' more interested in reading and learning about drugs then to ingest them

Vinz

Bluelighter
Hi ppl. Just a tought.. Wanted to know if i'm the only one to be like this. I'm a male in his 30's. I've been experiencing with all kinds of drugs since teenage. I've been enjoying stimulants a lot to a point in my life that i would ingest 60 speeds per week for a year. A period that obciously ended in detox. Until recently, I've been 15 months clean of all drugs including alcool and was still obsessed with drugs but more about learning about them then to actually ingest them. Anyways, just wanted to have some feedback on that..

I'm not sure how long we'll keep this thread open for, as I don't foresee a thoughtful, worthwhile discussion coming from this. Maybe we can turn this into a thread on drug-related book suggestions?

I mean, by and large, bluelighters enjoy both using drugs and reading about them. At any rate, there's a good book that I think should be required reading for anyone and everyone interested in taking drugs; it's called The Natural Mind and it's written by this one guy who not only studies drugs and drug users but also experiments with all different substances as well. It's a real solid book... written some number of years ago, I believe, but stil very much relevant today.

Last edited:
verso - any idea where to get that book maybe in pdf? Seems quite expensive to buy.

The author is Dr. Andrew Weil. I just picked it up from the library but it shouldn't be too expensive. Amazon should have it for maybe 15 bucks or something like that.

I do very much enjoy learning about drugs, however, I adore taking them. I must say, though, knowing about the drug I am taking is very re-assuring, and I also know what to expect in the high or just the effects if a true high is not present. With opiates, especially, I am glad I knew about them and what to expect when I started taking them as they are subtle drugs. Really, though, I always have been and always will be interested in learning more about drugs.

^ Try getting a prescription, then the system gives them to you!!

I wasn't all that interested in cocaine at the time. I mean of all the drug trades, it was probably the one I didn't really care much about, but one day I was at the campus library and was walking around bored when I found this book called, Cocaine. It was by Dominic Streatfeild and damn was it an interesting book! From then on any time I went to the library I just read that book. It was cool because it was full of info, but it was presented in a way that made it interesting to read.

I won't try any drug until I really know a lot about it. I don't really use drugs much either, just maybe a couple times a month, and I don't "go crazy" on them.
Reading and learning about drugs is really interesting to me, although I don't feel like I fully know a drug unless I've tried it. I find that I don't really enjoy lots of drugs, for whatever reason, so I try something once and that's it :p ,, but I keep learning about it.

I find I'm highly interested in pharmacology, and were I not studying my current field I would probably be in that. I know that in months not immediately before and during exams, I may well spend more time studying pharmacology than law.
I spend ages researching drugs that sound potentially interesting, and at parties or when doing drugs with friends (particularly when someone hasn't tried the drug in question before), all eyes immediately turn to me, awaiting a lengthy explanation about what it is technically, how it works, what it will actually feel like, how long it will take, and any possible contraindications, as well as possible potentiation methods or suggestions for synergistic combinations. While I think all find it useful and almost everyone takes it very light-heartedly, it's sometimes a little funny to get laughed at for researching specific stuff, "needing to know everything possible about drugs", knowing about all kinds of receptors and agonists and enzyme inhibitors etc. They usually shut up, though, when I offer my usual retort on how despite how extremely unpleasant and torturous I find the task, it is a lesser evil than dying because of some stupid shit like taking a drug that doesn't go well with the medicine you're taking.

If I feel really unsure about the drug or fail to find adequate information, I will read second-hand reports, Erowid experiences etc.; otherwise I try not to give them too much value, as I don't want my expectations to affect my assessment of the experience. I might do a bit more of this for combinations of drugs, as there is less formal documented evidence, and much less for psychedelics, as I find that my response to them is particularly sensitive to prior expectations.

All in all I highly recommend that anyone who does drugs does at least basic research on drugs they are about to ingest, at least for the sake of fundamental harm reduction, even if they take no further interest in pharmacological details. I would go as far as to say it is stupid to take drugs without doing any research, and a metric shit ton of people are lucky to be alive.

neuropolitics - tim leary

An amazing book by dr Timothy leary "neuropolitics" is an almost essential read for the drug culture. Extreme insights by the dr, i am very curious to see what your thoughts are on this. I provided a link for the pdf here http://x.bb/neuro
If this is posted in the wrong area i apologize.

, mygrenbic

^tl:dr? Really?

Thanks for posting this, OP.

You may have to wait a bit for us to do the reading though before we generate much discussion.

--> drug culture?

excellent book. great thinker.

In 1960-63 we tested these theories in a series of
objective studies of prison rehabilitation,
psychedelic psychotherapy, and personality
change. The hypotheses were
confirmed. We cut the prison-return rate by 90%. We
demonstrated quantitative
psychometric improvement in personality. It was
prize-winning elegant research. Our
subjects shared our enthusiasm but the medical
directors didn't. We were naive
enough to be surprised that many administrators didn't
really want to eliminate the
^Õ pathologies they administer.

God knows they liked me personally, respected our
results and in their secret hearts
hoped that we were right. But there is this larval
inertial fear of change. Three times I
was offered tenure at Harvard (and the post of chief
psychologist at Massachusetts
General Hospital) if I would just play down the drug
research. But by then more than
careers were at stake. We had entered the dialogue of
myth, tapped into that ancient
current of passionate hope and risky belief that
humanity can evolve into a higher wisdom

My political position then was by no means radical or
solitary. Indeed, during the
Johnson administration, a bitter battle was fought on
this issue. Medical and scientific
people (backed by the Kennedys) urged that drugs be
administered by the Department
of Health, Education and Welfare, while law-and-order
people politicked for the Department
of Justice. History may well decide that the
second great belligerent disaster of
the Johnson years was the decision to turn drug
control over to the police. L.S.D. was
made illegal and most of the top drug scientists began
their steady exit from government
responsibility. Another war on heresy had been
declared.

Last edited:
www thanks for replying. I remember speaking to you before, as a different reality, a spor from this current one ;). You quoted some of my favorite parts of the book. He actually wrote most of it while in solitary . In the black hole of folsom prison where a radiation escapes from that dungeon into our brains. A communication from a harmonious genious, falsely imprisoned forpolitical reasons, right into our brains. Some things might never escape a black hole but a transmission reached you and i, and it wasn't a coincidence. We his message from the past, and see and screening were fortunate enough to read it.... I'll quote some of many favorite lines, lottery me try and recall his meta broadcasts

"Power corrupts, rots, destroys, curses those who impose their rules upon others. -"

circuits

I believe some of his best insight is on the eight circuits of consciousness. On circuit VII he writes:

7 the neurogenetic circuit. The seventh brain kicks into action when the nervous system begins to receive signals from within the individual neuron, from the DNA-RNA dialogue. The first to achieve this mutation spoke of ' memories of past lives,' ' reincarnation' ' ' immortality' etc. That these adepts were recording something real is indicated by the fact that many of them ( especially Hindus and Sufis) gave marvelously accurate poetic vistas of evolution 1000 or 2000 years before Darwin, and foresaw Superhumanity before Nietzche.

This man amazes me with the way he transmits science, philosophy, politics, and higher intelligence into a cosmic and panic intertwinement.

I would really like to hear some thoughts on the eight circuits. It is extremely insightful. Fifth circuit marijuana induced rapture.... i love Dr Leary

circuit 7

He writes:

Circuit VII is literally neuro-atomic... when the nervous system is turned on to this quantum level circuit, space-time is obliterated. Einstein's light-speed barrier is transcended.

Had anyone ever had a deep lsd ego dissolving experience that has activated this circuit. I have. One night i thought i was talking seven blotters but i did not know my buddy had put four drops of potent amber crystal liquid on each one making it a wopping 28 strong hits of acid. I was in a recovery house at the time in a room with three other guys transmitting bull shit from their brain washing narcotics anonymous books. Not a good set and setting for such an aggressive acid trip. But it was at that point that i understood the seventh circuit. Things i cannot put into words. But Newton's laws dissolved along with my ego and the best way i can describe is that everything, you've illusion of life, became one spinning double Felix emitting what the universe appears to be. I was truly turned on. Things never were the same to me. I feel enlightened. This might sound like bull, but after my peak i knew that there was "8 brains" or something of that nature. I knew it was my destiny to seek out these philosophies. I really believe that learn transmitted this to me from far in the future on a quantum level. It is no mistake that i came upon these readings. " intuition" led me to the writings of Alan Watts, Robert Anton Wilson, ginsberg, and the commodore leary. I'm on a mission, i plead of you blue lighted ones to come along with me. Trust me we can change the world and there is no need to ever fear death. I can go on for ever but you know, if a tree falls in a forest...
Time for a paradigm shift, also time for a shower ;)

Last edited:
I feel the same exact way you do man. I mean i still dabble in some stuff but at school all I do is go on Erowid and bluelight.. it is such a fascinating topic to learn about