• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Genetically modified foods (Monsanto / Seminis)

Regardless of the studies, I feel like pounded shit every time I give in to my Cheetos weakness. It may only be anecdotal evidence, but it carries a lot of weight with me, since it's my anecdote.

But is that the result of the corn being GMO, or some other factor, like how much gross, low quality oil etc is used in the cheetos?

Crappy oil, crappy corn, a chemical shit-storm of flavorings...it's all garbage. Yummy garbage, tho....

Maybe so, but is any of that directly the result of it being GMO?

Really? I've searched the peer review scientific literature and can't find any studies which concluded that GMO crops are harmful to human health.Plenty of studies however concluded the opposite.

Pretty much all the studies that show results to be "inconclusive" are funded by Monsanto-backed agencies.

Find me a peer review, independent study by a reputable agency (FDA, Health Canada, USDA, a university dept of medicine/toxicology/pharmacology/public health) that concluded that they *are* harmful. There is no theoretical reason they should be toxic, and it's really to the people who hypothesize that they are to disprove the null hypothesis. (That is, to demonstrate they are harmful.)

This study concludes that GMO rice is equivalent to non-GMO rice, and is done by a university and a national health agency.
Safety Assessment of Rice Genetically Modified with Soybean Glycinin by Feeding Studies on Rats
So does this one; executed by a variety of universities in several nations around the world.
A 90-day safety study of genetically modified rice expressing Cry1Ab protein (Bacillus thuringiensis toxin) in Wistar rats

Could it be they financed the campaign because silly, irrational people would not buy food labelled as GMO, despite it's lack of harm? Therefore people would not buy it, they'd lose money, and for no good reason.
even if gmo was shown to be completely safe, monsanto doesnt get to decide whats irrational. going down the path of GMO sets a dangerous precedent, and people have a right to know what theyre eating, end of story.

Could it be they financed the campaign because silly, irrational people would not buy food labelled as GMO, despite it's lack of harm? Therefore people would not buy it, they'd lose money, and for no good reason.

Maybe initially but people are lazy and when its dinner time, there is no reason to read every label before they get the food on the table. The fact that soda is proven to be a health liability and yet Coke is still making billions of dollars is proof that people really do not care about the labels. They care more about what tastes good to them.

If the GMO companies have nothing to hide then they should support transparency that goes with allowing the labeling to take place.