• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Genetically Modified Bud

bc420

Bluelighter
I have been doing some research on GE crops and foods....and i was just curious if anyone had any information regarding genetically modified pot...i mean if scientists and make plants "better" then could they mabye make weed like really potent or give it certain traits that might make THC not obsorb into fat cells so you could pass a drug test within like 3 days instead of 30!

WARING: This thread is going to quickly degrade into rubbish about the strain "G13".

Anyways. Yes, Scientists could easily make a very potent weed plant. There are only a handful of genes involved in the enzymes needed to make THC. Unregulating them with a virial promoter region would probably turn cannabis into one big sopping pile of resin.

They couldn't change THC, because if they did, it wouldn't be THC anymore.

It would also be possible for them to tranfect the genes needed to product THC into bactaria, and then one could grow them in culture.

My input on g13. The only research I have seen from the government on cannabis and selective breeding/GE is in regards to a ultra low THC strain. It was not called g13. Have a look on overgrow.com for more info. And whatever it was, it wasn't genetically engineered because back in the early 90s GE cost way to much to bother using on cannabis.

"tranfect the genes needed to product THC into bactaria, and then one could grow them in culture." Riiiiight buddy, just like growing your LSD spores.

^^ I don't know all the exact science on this, but I certainly take Bilz0rs word over yours.. Would you care to explain why this couldn't be possible?

"It would also be possible for them to tranfect the genes needed to product THC into bactaria, and then one could grow them in culture."

Bilzor is correct in the fact that it is possible to engineer bacteria to produce THC. Bacteria has already been engineered to produce insulin, hGH(Human Growth Hormone), and and IGF1(isuling like growth factor). So it would be quite possible a bateria to be engineered that could produce THC. The only problem is........I dont know of many genetic engineers that would want to.

Oafy

i doubt you'll see much research into genetically modified pot since it is illegal... perhaps some research into a standardized strain but i doubt we'll see any research into making a more potent plant any time soon

Well I don't know man. Pharm companies could save a lot of money if they didn't have to synthesis cannabinoids. I mean, cannabinoid drugs are going to come out, so why bother with long winded synthesis processes if all you had to do was bung a viral promoter onto the rate limiting enzyme in THC synthesis?

Ehh, maybe years down the line bacterial fermentors producing THC will be the way to go, but right now I think a synthetic approach is the most cost effective, considering the current synthetic approaches to creating THC are pretty well established, not really that difficult and if I remember correctly pretty high yielding.

sorry- i may be wrong. my fault for the sarcasm. however, hormone producing bacteria seems much more possible than the aforementioned. if you have any other info i would certainly enjoy it.

you don't think that it's realistic for them to make bacteria produce THC??

shit, well correct me if i'm wrong, but haven't they made Spider-goats and tomato-fish, not to mention a whole host of other ridiculous species-species.

it's VERY reasonable to think that this could be done, and if allowed, i wouldn't be surprised if a scientist could pull that out of his ass in a week.

Well of course right now, the fast way to go is synthetic, but thats because we don't have THC E. Coli. Once you make them though, it would be a preety good way to go. And then you could transfect your gut with those E. Coli and get perminatly stoned... lol.

Couldn't the fact that humans cross breed strains be technically considered GM herb?

You wouldn't have to cross a plant with a monkey in order for it to be considered GM.

no, but that's just cross-breeding. it's waaay different than GM.

like they've been able to mix types of wheat to produce the best yields, and even something like brocoflower which is broccoli crossed with cauliflower.

genentic modification is actually replacing individual or groups of genes with ones that contain desireable traits.

hahaha the way the US government is going they GM and patent a strain of marijuana, then spray the country with its pollen.

suddenly your misdemeanor possesion of marijuana becomes a breatch of patent !!! and your screwed! more money for the crooked cops and government :p

friend of mine, well his sisters housemate is a scientist kind of lady, and shes been growing and modifying her weed for a while. Now she can dupiclate the exact type of weed everytime, and has done slight modifications to it, not exactly purely sure but shes grows two diff types of bud atm, each time exact the same as the last

well, my 18 year old stoner ADD low iq friend clones his plants too... definitely no need to be a scientist.

selective breeding works for me, Blueberry is too strong already no? :D But hey im all for science, suprised a seedbank hasn't tried GM yet. One other interesting alternative method to breeding a male/female is grafting two female cannibis plants together by connecting the phloems/xylems (main vascular system). While I have not done this, it would be cool to see if the traits from both mothers would continue into further generations. I will try this when the time is right. GM really scares me, especially after this thread :) I always wondered what went on in those giagantic pimped out buildings.