• ⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
well well

Oberyn Martell is here.

Pedro-Pascal.jpg

Prince Oberyn Martell will be played by Chilean actor Pedro Pascal, who has previously had arcs on CBS’ The Good Wife, ABC’s Red Widow and USA’s Graceland.

meh, could work.
i'd like to see him in hair and makeup. i really love oberyn. major book spoiler:
NSFW:
i figured he was totally going to last, as he was such an awesome character. i didn't think they'd kill him off in that fight because it seemed like there would be no point to his character then..was very upset when i finished that chapter. :\ like seriously? what the FUCK. i don't think a character death literally ANNOYED me as much as that. ugh.

honestly, i pictured oberyn looking more or less like thorin from the hobbit for whatever reason
ThorinBIG.jpg

with a bit more of an olive skin tone as described, like this:
82135289.jpg

cesc-fabregas-spanish-football.jpg

but you know...hair and makeup can go a long way:
images

i just hope he can act as fiercely as this character needs to be.
we'll see how he shapes up i guess.
i really want them to release some pics of him in hair, makeup, and costume STAT though..haha

i'd like to see him in hair and makeup. i really love oberyn. major book spoiler:
NSFW:
i figured he was totally going to last, as he was such an awesome character. i didn't think they'd kill him off in that fight because it seemed like there would be no point to his character then..was very upset when i finished that chapter. :\ like seriously? what the FUCK. i don't think a character death literally ANNOYED me as much as that. ugh.

I think that actor looks OK. Once they stick a wig on him he'll be set.

NSFW:
I hoped he would live too but the thought in the back of my head was there was no way Tyrion was actually twice gonna get saved via trial by combat.

Red Viper spoilers (and AFFC spoilers):

NSFW:
I was under the impression that he basically killed himself semi-intentionally. He felt his purpose was complete having taken out Gregor Clegane and having Tyrion Lannister killed as a way of getting back at Tywin. I'm not exactly sure whether or not he was privy to Doran's plan, but it makes sense either way. He was impulsive and impatient, so it's no surprise he would choose to die over nothing more than a slight bit of revenge. It's why he chose the poison, he knew he could both kill Gregor (painfully) and still lose the trial. Not entirely sure about this, but it is one way of looking at it. In his mind, he won.

Red Viper spoilers (and AFFC spoilers):

NSFW:
I was under the impression that he basically killed himself semi-intentionally. He felt his purpose was complete having taken out Gregor Clegane and having Tyrion Lannister killed as a way of getting back at Tywin. I'm not exactly sure whether or not he was privy to Doran's plan, but it makes sense either way. He was impulsive and impatient, so it's no surprise he would choose to die over nothing more than a slight bit of revenge. It's why he chose the poison, he knew he could both kill Gregor (painfully) and still lose the trial. Not entirely sure about this, but it is one way of looking at it. In his mind, he won.

huh, veryyyy interesting.
book spoiler:
NSFW:
he used the poison previously though, hence the name "red viper" and it seemed to be his signature move. but, i think you do have a point. although, he was aware that tywin didn't give a shit about tyrion, with the way he allowed his son to be mocked while him and elia were at casterly rock when he was a baby, and also with the trial. so, defending tyrion and allowing him to live would probably have pissed tywin off more.
oh and guys, i have a question. don't tell me if this comes to light book 4, because i'm taking a GOT break (it's consumed my mind for months now hahaha), but...did tywin have a hand to play (pun always intended) in joffrey's death? he's not stupid. he knows joff could turn out very badly and was very irrational and basically caused the war. do you think he played into this huge conspiracy with baelish and the tyrell's?? to get joff off the throne and tommen up there so his family would have a better legacy as kings?
i don't know.
i got the feeling that it was possible he did.
thoughts?

i finished book 3 yesterday for the sake of this discussion btw.

huh, veryyyy interesting.
book spoiler:
NSFW:
he used the poison previously though, hence the name "red viper" and it seemed to be his signature move. but, i think you do have a point. although, he was aware that tywin didn't give a shit about tyrion, with the way he allowed his son to be mocked while him and elia were at casterly rock when he was a baby, and also with the trial. so, defending tyrion and allowing him to live would probably have pissed tywin off more.
oh and guys, i have a question. don't tell me if this comes to light book 4, because i'm taking a GOT break (it's consumed my mind for months now hahaha), but...did tywin have a hand to play (pun always intended) in joffrey's death? he's not stupid. he knows joff could turn out very badly and was very irrational and basically caused the war. do you think he played into this huge conspiracy with baelish and the tyrell's?? to get joff off the throne and tommen up there so his family would have a better legacy as kings?
i don't know.
i got the feeling that it was possible he did.
thoughts?

i finished book 3 yesterday for the sake of this discussion btw.

As far as I know about who was responsible for the death you're talking about:

NSFW:
I don't see Tywin doing it, not in that way, and there's not really a lot of evidence that he was involved at all. And why would he need to ally with the Tyrells to do so? Nor do I see Tywin framing Tyrion for the crime: He's already using Tyrion to put the north under control of the Lannisters - why throw it all away?

Nope, it's all the Tyrells, and probably Petyr was actively involved. Tyrell's motives are obvious. Petyr's aren't as much, but he may have figured only Tyrion would be blamed (freeing up Sansa), or he may have wanted to remove someone from the throne that would be as unpredictably homicidal as the old mad king.

it's now been a while since i read a storm of swords but am i correct in saying that gendry's story in the tv show is diverging from the one in the book?

alasdair

As far as I know about who was responsible for the death you're talking about:

NSFW:
I don't see Tywin doing it, not in that way, and there's not really a lot of evidence that he was involved at all. And why would he need to ally with the Tyrells to do so? Nor do I see Tywin framing Tyrion for the crime: He's already using Tyrion to put the north under control of the Lannisters - why throw it all away?

Nope, it's all the Tyrells, and probably Petyr was actively involved. Tyrell's motives are obvious. Petyr's aren't as much, but he may have figured only Tyrion would be blamed (freeing up Sansa), or he may have wanted to remove someone from the throne that would be as unpredictably homicidal as the old mad king.
yeah, good point. it was just an idea i had..
def the two you stated as far as i'm concerned.
it's now been a while since i read a storm of swords but am i correct in saying that gendry's story in the tv show is diverging from the one in the book?

alasdair
yes. in the book arya leaves him with the brotherhood when she runs off and gets taken by the hound, melissandre never came to find them,nor did she meet arya (at the point of storm of swords). the boy they were using for the blood, to potentially sacrafice,and that davos let go: edric storm. the highborn bastard that robert made on the wedding night of stannis in his wedding bed..which they say uh like jinxed stannis into having all those stillborns in his marriage..i think they just used gendry instead to keep it simple instead of introducing ANOTHER bastard for everyone to keep track of...
in clash stannis and his army sieged the castle of the lord who was housing edric storm and the guy died by the magic of melissandre, and they brought him to dragonstone. in storm when davos goes to dragonstone, edric was a good friend of shireen's and davos took the reading lessons with him and shireen.
i think they just opted out of the screen time it would have taken to devlop edric at all, explain who he was, etc etc for other more important characters.
or for the brothel scenes.
lolz

honestly, i think it was a good choice. would have cluttered the screen up with way too many characters.
the show is like maxed out this season with characters and locations,i think that's why it was so rushed and seemed particularly jumpy now. there was sooo much going on with introducing the tyrell's and the brotherhood, the wildlings, the unsullied, stannis's family...on top of everyone else...if you think about it the show hasn't lost any characters (up until the RW), besides what...ned, renly, drogo, and viserys?? only 1 being from last season? for every character GRRM kills,15 more showed up in place lol.
one more bastard i can hardly imagine being thrown into the mix on screen.

GRRM on some stuff:

do know that David and Dan and HBO do favor having a racially and ethnically diverse cast on the series. It is true that we’ve lost several black characters who appear in the novels (Chataya and Alayaya, Jalabhar Xho, Strong Belwas), but to balance that, characters like Salladhor Saan and Xaro Xhoan Daxos, both white in the books, have been played by black actors. Missandei as well, though in the books the Naathi are golden-skinned, not white.

As for the Dornishmen, well, though by and large I reject one to one analogies, I’ve always pictured the “salty Dornish” as being more Mediterranean than African in appearance; Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, etc. Dark hair and eyes, olive skin. Pedro Pascal is Chilean. (Check out Amok’s version of the Red Viper, that’s how I saw him. Or Magali Villenueve’s beautiful and sexy portrait of Princess Arianne).

When and if the show introduces Prince Oberyn’s daughters, the Sand Snakes, I expect we will see the same diversity as in the books, ranging from Tyene (blond and blue-eyed) to Sarella (light brown skin, as her mother was a Summer Islander). And I expect that the crew of the CINNAMON WIND will all be cast with black actors…

what was the 3 types of dornish people? salty, sandy and ....? i imagined salty as he stated, sandy more middle eastern looking, and i forget the other group..

and regarding the pictures he mentioned:

250px-Oberyn_Martell.jpg

sample-arianne.gif

What are you guys excited to see in Season 4?

(Spoilers for Season 4 and book 3 abound)
NSFW:
I know from a few posts up we are all excited for The Red Viper. His trial by combat proxy fight on Tyrion's behalf (sorta) w/ The Mountain is going to be phenomenal - and they recast the original actor who played the Mountain in Season 1. "You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children." I'm already ashiver.

Tyrion killing Tywin I feel more dubious towards. The show to this point deviated a great deal from the book concerning the character of Shae. I don't think she is going to so cruelly betray Tyrion and be found naked in Tywin's chamber and subsequently strangled. This may take away from the moral ambiguity plaguing Tyrion afterward, maybe not. Some deviations have worked in this series, but this one doesn't look like it will. I am excited for the exchange between Tyrion and Jaime before Tyrion's escape: "She's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know."

The assault on the wall by Mance Rayder and the save by Stannis will be goood, but woulda been better for most viewers if they didn't know Stannis was gonna make the save. As a reader, it will have the same impact on me.

Cold Hands and Stone Heart will both be interesting to see.... if we get to see either.

And can I get some Strong Belwas? I am seriously upset we didn't get an authentic Vargo Hoat and no Strong Belwas either last season!

Oh, and I almost forgot, Sansa's displacement from prisoner in King's Landing to Prisoner of the Eyrie. One of the most enduring images of the book is when she builds that ice model of Winterfell. I am fairly sure that is in ASOS at least. And we begin to see the real players of the game next season w/ Baelish and Varys making their moves. Baelish's move ought to be decidedly entertaining and dizzying to watch as he send Lysa out the Moondoor.

Last edited:

NSFW:
I know from a few posts up we are all excited for The Red Viper. His trial by combat proxy fight on Tyrion's behalf (sorta) w/ The Mountain is going to be phenomenal - and they recast the original actor who played the Mountain in Season 1. "You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children." I'm already ashiver.

Tyrion killing Tywin I feel more dubious towards. The show to this point deviated a great deal from the book concerning the character of Shae. I don't think she is going to so cruelly betray Tyrion and be found naked in Tywin's chamber and subsequently strangled. This may take away from the moral ambiguity plaguing Tyrion afterward, maybe not. Some deviations have worked in this series, but this one doesn't look like it will. I am excited for the exchange between Tyrion and Jaime before Tyrion's escape: "She's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know."

The assault on the wall by Mance Rayder and the save by Stannis will be goood, but woulda been better for most viewers if they didn't know Stannis was gonna make the save. As a reader, it will have the same impact on me.

Cold Hands and Stone Heart will both be interesting to see.... if we get to see either.

And can I get some Strong Belwas? I am seriously upset we didn't get an authentic Vargo Hoat and no Strong Belwas either last season!

Oh, and I almost forgot, Sansa's displacement from prisoner in King's Landing to Prisoner of the Eyrie. One of the most enduring images of the book is when she builds that ice model of Winterfell. I am fairly sure that is in ASOS at least. And we begin to see the real players of the game next season w/ Baelish and Varys making their moves. Baelish's move ought to be decidedly entertaining and dizzying to watch as he send Lysa out the Moondoor.

NSFW:
All that and you didn't even mention Joffery's poisoning and death.

I'm looking forward to getting to meet the rest of the Tyrell's.

NSFW:

Spoilers through book 5.
NSFW:
Joffrey's death comes second for me following The Mountain vs Red Viper.

I have a really hard time imagining them asking Charles Dance to play out his death the way it occurred in the books. He's too fucking dignified to take a bolt in the pubes and shit himself. Fake or not.
I realize stealing Tywin's dignity/high regard for himself was part of the motivation for Tyrion. Just seems like a scene they'll rewrite and make more straight forward.

There's no Strong Belwas. He would have long ago shown and I'm almost sure I read that GRRM confirmed he was out. Seems the same for Cold Hands and Stone Heart. Michelle Fairley's contract is finished.

I agree regarding Stannis rescue of the NW. There was really no reason to foreshadow it and I feel it will take away some of the impact of the scene.

I really like Jon Snow in the books and he's obviously gonna have to start moving to the forefront of the story now. I'm not so sure about that actor. I know Jon's supposed to be somewhat dour, but it seems like that guy does nothing but dour. Hopefully he's just following how he's been told to play the character and will get appropriately Stark(and Targaryen?)-like when the time comes.

We need a more prominent and fleshed out Tormund also. He's relatively entertaining in the books but I would guess that any show watcher would be hard pressed to even come up with his name. He's just another guy.

Next season I have no doubt will be close to as epic as last season. It's the seasons that follow that concern me...... Wading through ADWD's muck will be interesting.

NSFW:
All that and you didn't even mention Joffery's poisoning and death.

I'm looking forward to getting to meet the rest of the Tyrell's.

I am totally in remiss for not mentioning that. It will be great to see drunken Tyrion at that event as well.

95Land, I can't read yours b/c I'm still ambling through book 5.

^Reading my own post again, the only thing about ADWD's that I included was that I thought it was a "mucky" read.
I'm sure you've already discovered that. So, you're safe. Sorry bout that.

Bummer. I mean, I'm glad I can read your post, but I was hoping you'd tell me it was gonna turn into a great read. I actually went back to read some chapters from ASOS last night.

Spoilers through book 5.
NSFW:
Joffrey's death comes second for me following The Mountain vs Red Viper.

I have a really hard time imagining them asking Charles Dance to play out his death the way it occurred in the books. He's too fucking dignified to take a bolt in the pubes and shit himself. Fake or not.
I realize stealing Tywin's dignity/high regard for himself was part of the motivation for Tyrion. Just seems like a scene they'll rewrite and make more straight forward.

There's no Strong Belwas. He would have long ago shown and I'm almost sure I read that GRRM confirmed he was out. Seems the same for Cold Hands and Stone Heart. Michelle Fairley's contract is finished.

I agree regarding Stannis rescue of the NW. There was really no reason to foreshadow it and I feel it will take away some of the impact of the scene.

I really like Jon Snow in the books and he's obviously gonna have to start moving to the forefront of the story now. I'm not so sure about that actor. I know Jon's supposed to be somewhat dour, but it seems like that guy does nothing but dour. Hopefully he's just following how he's been told to play the character and will get appropriately Stark(and Targaryen?)-like when the time comes.

We need a more prominent and fleshed out Tormund also. He's relatively entertaining in the books but I would guess that any show watcher would be hard pressed to even come up with his name. He's just another guy.

Next season I have no doubt will be close to as epic as last season. It's the seasons that follow that concern me...... Wading through ADWD's muck will be interesting.

What about AFFC's muck???

Haha. You've got a point.
NSFW:
I found AFFC's a easier read. I'm not sure why. But yeah. There's definitely enough muck to go around, between the two books.
I can say I'm hopeful that Winds of Winter is set up to pull us out of it. Some pretty good shit should happen. I hope?

AFFC stuffs therewithin:

NSFW:
All the stuff w/ the Dornish guard and Princesses plan to crown Miracella just didn't interest me. I see how that is gonna develop into an important aspect of the ecumenical arch later, but blargh, those characters were flashes in the pan - unless that was their exposition.

The King's Moot stuff was monotonous for me as well. I like the character of Asha, but I didn't see her grow or gain much from the moot. Some may disagree w/ that, but that's how I feel.

My favorite part of that book was Jaime and The Blackfish, and Cersei falling apart. Also, either of the twins discussions w/ Kevan.