• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Gaining Weight Issues

Someone above suggested eating nuts. I agree! In the past when I was trying to gain weight (and it worked) I ate lots of almonds/cashews/etc and added avocado to my diet. What else...switch to whole grains and incorporate MORE of it into your diet. Get your metabolism on track so it's not too quick or too slow. So, eat yogurt daily.

That's a start.

True that. High calorie snacks like mixed nuts/dried fruit with yogurt, avocado, chocolate milk, peanut butter, olive oil, flaxseeds oil, whatever is healthy and calorie dense will do the trick.

Don't do cardio if you are trying to gain weight. You are just making it more difficult to consume the amount of calories necessary for weight gain. You need to be constantly eating and make sure you lift heavy with low reps in the gym.

I wouldn't say not to do any cardio if a person's attempting to gain weight. Even if you have to eat a bit more to make up for the burned calories, it's going to be healthier weight in the long run. I'd only phase out cardio if you cannot financially afford the additional calories.

By far, the most effective tool you have for weight-control is a pen or pencil. Write down the amounts of calories, carbs, fats and proteins you take in each day. Give yourself a few weeks on a fixed ratio and see how you're doing. If you're not satisfied, make minor changes. This will also help your body and mind feel more prepared for the less/extra food.

You do not want to change weight too fast because you can end up with stretch marks.

Also, start weighing yourself in terms of moving averages. Weigh yourself for a week and then on day 7, add up days 1-7 and divide by 7. Make this your day 7 weight. On day 8, days 2-8 divided by seven. Keep the pattern going. This will help smooth out the daily variations due to water, constipation, different times of the day, etc. This is the number you really want to see consistently moving in the correct direction over time.

I wouldn't say not to do any cardio if a person's attempting to gain weight. Even if you have to eat a bit more to make up for the burned calories, it's going to be healthier weight in the long run.

The problem is most hardgainers have trouble eating enough as it is. Having to eat more to compensate for the cardio just isn't very practical. Maybe like a 45 minute cardio workout once per week, but I wouldn't be doing much more then that.

Im a landscaper by trade and I also do 1hr intense cardio per week and lift weights 3 times a week...and i have a fast metabolism.
Therefore this thread is good for me too..

Ive just gone through the process of calculating the calories I take in each day...im around 2800. I need to find another 500 or so to start gaining weight again...but this isnt easy! Especially when Ive got other digestive issues at the present time.

Good luck OP!

I'm around 5'6" and before I started drinking, I usually hovered around 125 lbs. Then when I started drinking a lot, I shot up to nearly 170 lbs over the course of a couple of years (NOT advised). I've quit drinking now, but I'm eating plenty of protein (eggs, chicken, soy, whey protein shakes, occasional steak sandwich, etc). I remember at one point in high school I was down to almost 110 lbs. It can be very uncomfortable and it never feels healthy. If you want to get bigger, you need to eat big. Definitely stay away from drugs, especially uppers. As it's been said in this thread, those will burn off those pounds fast.

If you want to gain muscle mass, then you're looking at heavy weights and low reps, with a good fast-acting protein shake immediately after your workout. You need to lift heavy, but be careful not to injure yourself. Challenge yourself, but pace yourself. But if you pick up a light weight and lift it for 100 reps, you're not going to gain much size at all.

Don't make the mistake of digging into fast food and junk food to put on pounds, because you're just going to feel like shit and it won't do a whole lot for you. You clearly have a fast metabolism. You need proteins and you need a steady and focused diet so you can arrive at a comfortable weight and size. Chicken breast, eggs, nuts, and beans are all good. Make sure to throw in plenty of vegetables (and/or pick up some V8 Juice) and eat an apple or an orange with your breakfast. Sleep well and take rest days from your workouts.

ALWAYS keep your doctor up to speed on your plans and how things are going, though. I'm pretty sure none of us are doctors (I'm sure as hell not). If anybody disagrees with any of this advice, please respond with your input because I'm not always right. I'm just saying that I've seen this stuff work.

i wouldn't do cardio

I would do 10 minutes MAX, cardio before whatever else you're doing (like lifting weights/isometrics etc)

I echo the yoga suggestion, and the swimming too - these are low impact exercises and particularly good for people with our metabolisms.

Look into isometrics - "monks isometrics" - Great for building stamina, and remaining strong - I do them pretty much everyday now, if not all them at least most exercises.

monkisometrics.jpg

There's a second set of these with a picture exactly like this but I can't find it right now. THat's a START.
http://www.bullyextreme.com/isometric-exercises/

Captain Heroin mentioning smoke more ganja and satisfying the munchies will help you - I have found this to be true - my mate Swerlz did it, but I've never been able to afford all the extra food, so we'll see i that's good advice once I can.

Low impact exercise following just enough real cardio to get your blood pumping hard.

Last edited:
Captain Heroin mentioning smoke more ganja and satisfying the munchies will help you - I have found this to be true - my mate Swerlz did it, but I've never been able to afford all the extra food, so we'll see i that's good advice once I can.
Bulk bins are your friend. Once you discover the joy of bulk bins, you won't go back to packaged food for your staples. Bulk beans are typically around $1.50 a pound. For $1.50 then, I can get about a thousand calories (according to livestrong.com's calorie counter for one pound of safeway's dry black beans, though one pound typically gives about six cups cooked, and six cups cooked is about 1200). Granted, I'm not going to enjoy eating a pound of black beans all at once, but this is just to show that not all calories have to be expensive. :)

^ nice one!

5743171565_b21ff99c49_b.jpg

There you go OP - the second set - they're amazing...developed by watching animals.

Bulk bins are your friend. Once you discover the joy of bulk bins, you won't go back to packaged food for your staples. Bulk beans are typically around $1.50 a pound. For $1.50 then, I can get about a thousand calories (according to livestrong.com's calorie counter for one pound of safeway's dry black beans, though one pound typically gives about six cups cooked, and six cups cooked is about 1200). Granted, I'm not going to enjoy eating a pound of black beans all at once, but this is just to show that not all calories have to be expensive. :)

Where are you getting bulk beans?

Oh, no. I just thought I was stupid and missing something very, very important. :p Like you getting access to bulk beans and me sitting here sucking my thumb.

Edit: Best buy ever, also! Let me know when you need more beans and I'll gladly partake in half again.