• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Gabapnetin withdrawl Valproic Acid and alcohol dependance

Mystee

Bluelighter
Gabapentin withdrawl Valproic Acid and alcohol dependance

I have a Bi-Polar diagnosis my DR gave me many years ago, which i have always thought may be a stretch.... i think my mental health issues and symptoms match PTSD more closely than Bi-Polar II.... and for this i have taken 750mg of Valproic Acid (Depakote) for 3 years EVERY NIGHT

More recently: I have been taking 100mg of Gabapentin 3 times daily (every 3 hrs) for about 8 months daily to help me stay off Alcohol, which i have have been on and off my whole life.

Long story short, i started noticing the Gabapentin making me out of character argumentative, tense and aggressive and decided i MUST get off this Medication because of how Verbally Abusive and angry i have been towards my friends and family. Don't get me wrong i was very energetic, productive had a stable mood when at work and alone but i found it was a major problem when i interact with people who i usually am calm with.

I stopped taking Gabapentin 4 weeks ago and have fallen into the darkest depression and highest level of anxiety i have EVER experienced and i'm now back to drinking 6-8 pints of Beer daily to self medicate this terrible anxiety and PTSD like symptoms of bad memories and intrusive thoughts.

I wonder if anyone has lived through a similar situation and if any BL'ers have any advice or thoughts about this chemical imbalance (i'm pretty sure) i am suffering through???

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this mystee.

Can I ask - did you taper off the gabapentin, or did you go cold turkey? For some people the withdrawal can be pretty awful, much like you describe.

As for the anger/aggression while using, that's not something I'm particularly familiar with. Perhaps someone else here has some insight?

^ i for some reason did NOT taper off the Gabapentin 4 weeks ago. I'm now thinking i should have...

just taking it one day at a time. not too bad today but still have major trouble sleeping a restful sleep and major anxiety in the mornings.

anyone with a drinking habit and taking Valproic Acid as a med out there?