• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin withdrawal

cj

Bluelight Crew
How long will acute gabapentin withdrawal last for? I was on 1200mg for 9 months time Also will kolonopin prolong the withdrawal? I have been taking low doses of kpin and Xanax to relieve the anxiety though other symptoms persist. I want to kick the hell out of the doctor who told me it doesn't have withdrawals.

Weed helped me most of all during gaba withdrawal if I smoked real heavy. Benzos help more of course and alcohol less but your not in for too bad of a w\d gabapentin has a short half-life and detox is only painful for half a week or so and it ain't nothing too crazy but you will feel shitty so gotta find a way to deal with it or accept it as it is is all you can do.

Yeah man your right about weed being the best thing. I found kolonopin to be totally ineffective though. Luckily I talked my phych into calling me in another gaba script at an even larger dose. Deeper toawards hell I go. Anyway I gotta say that withdrawal was really no laughing matter it was pretty bad. I mean it wasn't heroin but I could not get comfortable either. I just dosed 1200mg about 40 minutes ago so I am still waiting for full relief though I already feel better. Thanks for the answer as well.

24 hours since I restarted the gabapentin I feel mostly better. I have some residual muscle pain and my brain feels a little weird but it seems to be getting better. I really just want to bookend this thread by saying that stopping gabapentin abruptly after months of daily use is a really bad option. I have been through a few nasty opiate kicks but this was a totally different feeling. I don't know exactly how to explain what the withdrawal felt like but it was very uncomfortable and I was even fortunate enough to have kolonopin and pot at the time. Even with those I was ready to go to the ER if my phych doc hadn't come through for me. Anyway my point is don't think you can switch seamlessly from gabapentin to a benzo.

Thanks again Weekend addiction for answering my questions but I am glad I didn't have to go all the way through the withdrawal.

cj: I would try to taper down to ~100mg before you kick the Gaba. Going CT from 1200mg is indeed not a good idea. Check the Gabapentin WD thread by the user blue comet.
I got that stuff also prescribed by my doctor saying it is definitely not addictive...

I had a four year daily benzo/z-drug habit that I kicked in a detox in August 2014. The withdrawal from that was improving consistently but a little slow, but all the issues were largely physical after a month.

At five months off benzos, my issues were severe insomnia (up for days at a time) and lingering anxiety. This was making my new job difficult so I saw an outpatient psych (set up through my detox center) who suggested going on gabapentin for a few months to get over this hump. He assured me that it was safe, did not cause withdrawals, had no negative side effects, and wouldn't cause a taper.

I took it for seven weeks at doses of 1200mg - 2100mg per month, and while I was on it, it messed me up really bad. Depression, anger, and nasty physical issues during interdose withdrawal or when waiting for it to kick in. I stopped it cold turkey after a few ER visits and a five day inpatient stay (the symptoms were that nasty). That was one year ago.

I still suffer greatly with vicious physical symptoms (hair loss, heart palpitations, nerve pain, shakiness, alcohol & caffeine intolerance) and psychological symptoms (irrational fears, derealization, cognitive impairment, SEVERE anxiety, inability to drive). I have gone to many doctors about this and not one has yet been able to provide any help.

If you have the ability to do so, then taper slowly. Because the only thing worse than dealing with an endless withdrawal, is having every doctor not have a clue what is wrong with you while you're in that withdrawal.