• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin WIthdrawal and Tachycardia - When to See a Doctor?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
Ran out of Gabapentin 4 days ago and keep having tachycardia on and off. My normal resting heart rate is around 65-70 bpm. Today it has been as high as 184bpm.
I know it shouldn't be above 100, but am unsure what is "dangerous" and what isn't.
Is 184bpm enough to seek medical attention? And if so, should I go to to hospital now, or just call my doctor for advice when they open tomorrow? (it's 8:40pm now so they're closed)

I'm not a doctor but 184 sounds very high and dangerous . I personally would go to a walk in clinic (idk what they are called) or be around friends family partner who could call 911 until my doctor is open .

Sorry I can't be more helpful I just don't you waiting around for a better answer when this sounds kinda dangerous.

You’re checking your heartrate via an Apple Watch or some other such device, yes? I used to check my heartrate via my watch all the time. I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and it used to freak me out to see those high numbers! Well, my watch broke back in August and I haven’t gotten around to replacing it yet. I’m still having bouts of tachycardia, but I’m not as concerned about them, because I can’t see the numbers. What I’m suggesting is, take off the damn watch! The anxiety about the tachycardia is doing you no favors! Probably prolonging the rapid heartbeat as well.

That said, withdrawing from gabapentin is no joke, and lowers the seizure threshold (it’s actually a medication for epilepsy.) it states very clearly on the medication instruction packet that you get with your meds that abrupt termination of this medication can induce seizures, EVEN IN PEOPLE WITH NO PRIOR HISTORY OF SEIZURES.

Go to the ER. Hopefully they’ll give you Ativan. That would be my recommendation.

It depends on if it’s sustained tachycardia or not. We can all have spikes in heart rate during the day, you’re withdrawing and I’m sure it’s playing into it.

I generally do always like to err on the side of caution though and heart issues are something I wouldn’t take a chance on. If your gut feeling is something is wrong then don’t take the chance and get checked out by someone.

You’re checking your heartrate via an Apple Watch or some other such device, yes? I used to check my heartrate via my watch all the time. I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and it used to freak me out to see those high numbers! Well, my watch broke back in August and I haven’t gotten around to replacing it yet. I’m still having bouts of tachycardia, but I’m not as concerned about them, because I can’t see the numbers. What I’m suggesting is, take off the damn watch! The anxiety about the tachycardia is doing you no favors! Probably prolonging the rapid heartbeat as well.

That said, withdrawing from gabapentin is no joke, and lowers the seizure threshold (it’s actually a medication for epilepsy.) it states very clearly on the medication instruction packet that you get with your meds that abrupt termination of this medication can induce seizures, EVEN IN PEOPLE WITH NO PRIOR HISTORY OF SEIZURES.

Go to the ER. Hopefully they’ll give you Ativan. That would be my recommendation.

Yes, I have a blood-pressure cuff that also does your heart rate.
I'm in the UK so almost definitely no benzo's :(

Go to walk in clinic and get a script for Clonidine 0.1mg tablets….they work wonders