• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin, why 5 hours to start working ?

john24

Bluelighter
anybody know the science of why it takes like 5 hours for Gabapentin to start doing it's thing... ?

It's like this each and every time. I'm wondering if maybe it takes awhile for the liver to convert into certain chemicals or something?

I'm just now startin to feel that dream-like euphoria. It's strange, but I like it. It makes u kinda lovey dovey too....so it's good if ur with a chick.

I love Gabapentin, a few grams of it goes great with my Subs, add a few benzo's and some bud and it's all gravey...don't know why it takes so long to kick in, just dump the capsules into a soda, or if it's pills crush them and drink it. Doesn't taste good but for some reason it speeds up for how fast they kick in, I usually start to feel them in an hour when I take them in soda, which is the only way I take them now...gotta find a place to get this crap online since I'm running low, and since it's un-scheduled I know its out there somewhere..works great for anxiety, thinking of trying Phenibut since I have heard comparisons of the two. I HATE alchohol but seem to love other drugs that work on gaba receptors such as Gabapentin and benzo's, so I wonder if I will like Phenibut, hmmm.. Sorry had a few grams of it today, makes me type and talk a lot, it's like a relaxing stimunlant in a way if that makes sense...

Edit: and another question I have about Gaba, although it might be in the Megathread, with it's short halflife, why in the world does it seem to last all day and not wear off like xanax or something...it's kinda a wierd drug honestly. I mean, it helpls opiate/benzo w/d's, takes forever to kick in and last all day even though it has a short half-life, and energises the fuck outta me unlike benzo's..in a way I find the buzz more interesting thant benzo's, I like how it makes everything look bright in a way...also makes my sex drive go up.

I agree bro. When I first tried it, I didn't feel crap.....until I got the dose 'right'. and realizing it takes 5 hours.. now I love it. Truly my favorite after anything opiate'ish.

but just like anything else, once we start liking something too much...they have to F things up. so who knows..maybe eventually they'll make it scheduled.

I'll try to soda thing..thanks for recommendin.

Ya, that's usually how it works, thankfully with this one though soooo many people say it's crap, so who knows it might stay unscheldued. I was sooo pissed when I found out Soma and Tramadol got scheduled,lol. I mean, I never got them offline, but once I got on Subs I would have loved to have a stash of Trams and Somas, since for some odd reason Tramadol works for people on Subs, even though it's like the weakest opiate around. Didn't believe it till I tried it one day, and it works. Luckily, the person I use to get 30's from only gets Trams now(god that sucks for him) but he said I was the only one excited about the Tramadol,lol. But Subs+Tram+Gabapentin+Xanax= feelin' good.(Do not do this unless your tolerance is really high to each drug)

I am new here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. My prescription bottle of 600 mg gabapentin was stolen. It had about 120 pills left in the bottle. I take 6 600 mg tablets per day, 3,600 mg total. My doctor's office told the pharmacy to not allow an early refill and I am withdrawing bad. I have the sweats, anxiety, can't sleep, diarrhea, etc. I also have a seizure disorder and herniated discs with sciatica. What can I do to stop these withdrawal effects? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I live in Columbus Ohio.

Kind of hard to know without knowing gabapentin's exact method of action. If I had to guess I'd say it's a cascade of effects that take place after metabolism. Some sort of indirect downstream effect that provides the 'high'.

Gabapentin shouldn't take five hours to work. It's fast acting with a short half life and for me it begins working 30-60 minutes after ingestion and wears off in about 4-5 hours.

It does takes longer to kick in than that, that's why after I read about putting it in soda and drinking it makes it kick in faster, and it does, in about an hour, instead of two or three. Also it last ALL day with me. I know they say to stagger doses but I usually take 1200-3000mg all at once and the buzz last ALLL day, it is wierd considering the short half-life. I use it for anxiety to and find 900-1500 to be the perfect dose for it, anymore than that and I'm all buzzed talking everyone's ear off.

ohiogirl, I PM'd ya.

Gabapentin shouldn't take five hours to work. It's fast acting with a short half life and for me it begins working 30-60 minutes after ingestion and wears off in about 4-5 hours.

trust me, at the right dose....it ONLY kicks in at around 4 to 5 hours. and the buzz lasts for several hours.

maybe the fellas testing the drug out...have never went to the 'right' dose...

Last edited:
I get high as fuck and I love the gabapentin feel. Tolerance grows extremely quickly. The first three days, I can get away with 2000mg but after that, I have to take more and more to feel it. I will take a base dose of 2000mg in the morning and then by noon, I'd take another 1600mg. That's enough to last all day, but it's a crazy dose to be on. Funny thing is I've never experienced any withdrawals whatsoever. I've had them with benzos, as I take 2mg of Klonopin a day for the past 20 years and if I skip one day with benzos, I'm in a world of hurt. But nothing on the gabapentin. Sex drive goes up too on the Gaba.

Ted Cruz 2016

What might be a good starting dose for someone with a decent benzo habit (eq. 8-mg clonazepam/day), sub tolerant noting else in the mix? I realize nobody can predict, but, "I don't want to have a bad time- French fry when i should pizza." South Park reference. Thanks. I have 300-mg capsules.

odd, i take gabapentin daily, may be thats the problem.....but ive taken 3000mg before and no high. i will say though that my drunks and weed highs seemed better???

Same here. But I usually take low doses. Everything above 300mg only fucks with my balance and makes me feel retarded as fuck.
Great sleep aid at low doses though.

What might be a good starting dose for someone with a decent benzo habit (eq. 8-mg clonazepam/day), sub tolerant noting else in the mix? I realize nobody can predict, but, "I don't want to have a bad time- French fry when i should pizza." South Park reference. Thanks. I have 300-mg capsules.

for 300 mg capsules... I would start with like 9 of em first... but keep feeding yourself more every few hours. Like 3 more after an hour....and maybe like 3 more...every two hours after..etc. something like that. This way it lasts all day long. It's weird how a lot of others don't know it kicks in, in this weird manner...so many hours after taking. We need a scientist here or something..that could explain....seems like no other site / medical or anything can explain it. (the interesting high 4 to 5 hours after taking)

It's a funny ass high at times. You can't even walk straight and stumbling. talking and thinking is slowed, but feel good.

don't try it if u have to go to work on that day though...you'll prolly get fired. or they'll think u turned slow or something.

So other people are finding gabapentin to kick in after 5 hours as well? Seems rather long, it's never taken longer than 3 hours to reach peak effects for me... usually around two.

The first time I tried out gabapentin it kicked in right around 2 hours for me. I noticed after a few times using it though it seemed that it took a little longer each time. Longest I've had to wait for it is about 2 1/2-3 hours.

I'm kinda older...so maybe my kidneys / liver are a little more messed up.. and takes longer to process.

It seems to work somewhat quickly for me. I take 600mg 2-3x a day. I have heard that it is better to take it more often; if you have seizures, and stop it quickly, you can have seizures---just fyi.

my tolerance must be crazy high then....because I need at-least 3000 mg's as my initial dose in the morning. then another 1000 MG's every few hours after., and throughout the day...just to maintain the dream-like state for the rest of the day..

maybe my system is really struggling..messed up.