• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin overdose/withdrawal complications

pahn

Bluelighter
Hi all. So my doc prescribed me 2400mg gabapentin daily, which i used to dabble around with a year or two ago. I would take between 5-12grams recreationally but not often. i enjoyed it, but only dabbled with it for a couple months. I never really took the drug on a daily basis. Anyway, I got back on 16mg suboxone for the past 2 years and my scripts of gabbys have been piling up for years. About 2 months ago i got a random idea to start recreationally using the gabbys again. I would take on average 5-10 grams every other day. This went on for about 6 weeks until i decided to stop cold turkey. When i used gabbys before i NEVER got wd symptoms other than stomach issues. This time it feels like almost a benzo wd. The first few days i couldnt focus on anything. i had depression, insomnia, anxiety, sweats, and TERRIBLE jaw pain akin to TMJ. The worst part however, is that I started to feel this confusion. i've been experiencing this terrible mental distress as if my brain just isnt working correctly. i almost feel delirious, full of dread like i fucked up my brain and i can no longer think correctly. I'm extremely irrationally irritable as well. I've done tons of research and found that most of these are "normal" symptoms but most ppl only feel them for a few days. I'm now 9 days in and still feel brain dead. i'm terrified, i feel like i'm just a husk of my former self, like i fried my brain and it sends me into a full blown panic several times a day. this isnt like a normal anxiety attack either, Its so hard for me to describe. I have an appointment with my doc in a week, and i'm planning on telling her. Im not sure if thats a great idea or not, but im just so fucking terrified. Has anyone experienced anything like this feeling of insanity? im just so afraid of never getting back to normal, and i fear when i tell my doc shes going to put me on some psych med that will make me worse and i'll end up like the mom in "Requiem for a Dream". I fear that maybe while i was asleep i was having bad seizures which has been causing this awful constant jaw pain as well as this mental fogginess? I dont know what to think anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as stated in now on day 9 cold Turkey and the mental distress is fucking with me so bad I'm contemplating taking a few just to see if my mental clarity comes back or not. Just to see if these mental issues are really from the withdrawal or if they are from me overdosing and I scrambled my circuits. Should I do this to give me peace of mind or should i not bother since I'm already 9 days in?

I know exactly how you feel.

Meds can do that. You have depersonalization. I can tell you that all the symptoms you have, I have much worse and many more that simply cannot be even fucking described. Mine got so bad that once I ended in ER. Also spoke to my doc and he gave me a antypsychotic med I took for a week felt great because of fucking placebo and then quit cuz it stopped working.

My causes are in big part due to meds, gabapentin and mostly oxycodone but I had some of them when I was drug free.

Day 9 or 99 it don't matter. Get some help. BTW your doses of 10 g are insane

so i looked into depersonalization, and i dont think thats it. Honestly the best way i can describe it is my memory is shot, when i look at something like a picture and i dont understand what it is i get insanely aggitated. i cant remember easy vocabulary on a regular basis, i feel stupid, which leads to this dizzying realization that my brain isnt functioning properly. I start getting major anxiety and all the symptoms get increasingly worse. i feel so dizzy and terrified that my brain is damaged and i feel such dread that i fucked myself up bad. Also, i wouldnt often take 10grams. my usual dose was like 6 or 7 grams and like i said i'd do it every other day. should i try to take a gram or two to see if the symptoms fade or should i just keep going?

You said you have "mental fogginess" and that is just another term for depersonalization but I'm glad you don't have it. Do you get any physical anxiety? I battle more physical than mental. I also got TMJ disorder and when it inflames it is hell. I decided to do a brain MRI and they found damage. In conclusion they say not to worry, just minor things even though one doctor said it could be MS and I should repeat it in one year.

I think you need medical attention because your health is more important than getting high and being shy to admit it to the doc. I don't think it is anything serious and with some CBT and meds you will be fine.

I would wean off by taking 5 g and then 4 and stay on 3 until I see the doctor. Going from 7g to 1 is a big jump and it could make symptoms worse.

As an RN, I do not give full advice or treatment recommendations, but will share knowledge and present facts from science based literature. What you do is your choice. That said, you definitely have alarming symptoms. Gabapentin can be a dangerous medication, even within prescribed ranges depending on the patient. I cannot find much about all of these symptoms together (such as an over dose or the effects after an overdose), even in my desk reference, but some symptoms were evidenced as serious side effects of prescribed treatment toxicity requiring immediate intervention. A taper is part of the treatment. There is long lasting damage that can be done by this drug and no antidote (like narcan for opioids or mucomist for acetaminophen). I did find a hot line for gabapentin abuse in my search and that could be a rich resource for information since the counselors will have daily experience and you have anonymity. They may advise you on wether you need ER or to wait for your doctor, but either way, if you want help for your symptoms, you're going to have to be brave and be honest. I know that is hard to do, but speaking as a HCP, a team cannot treat you, if they don't know the root cause. If your symptoms worsen, or you cannot tolerate them and the fear, remember the ER is available as well. I wish you the very best. This is the hotline I found, in case you want to try that...
844-207-6576