• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin or Pregabalin During Acute Benzo Withdrawal? Opinions...

JohnyBoi

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, :D

I'm currently tapering off benzos (Diazepam) and I am looking into (preparing) for anything that could help during the initial acute withdrawal stage after the jump. I'm taking things as slow as I can but you can't stop the inevitable. You can make it easier though!

I have never tried Gabapentin or Pregabilin but during my research it seems that these two seem to be potentially beneficial. Does seem to be a lot of anecdotal side effects, especially when first starting treatment. I would say this is the only thing stopping me from perusing this route, I worry that the side effects could set me back. I'm sure a lot of people knows what I mean, it seems that trying 99% of things during benzo withdrawal just seems to send the CNS in overdrive, resulting in panic attacks, heart palpitations, insomnia etc

Nobody can tell me how I'm going to react to either of them, I know that but my aim is to use one of them for no longer than four weeks. My first question though would be, has anyone successfully used Gabapentin or Pregabalin during the acute withdrawals? Which one worked for you and how long did you stay on it for?

I just want to find something that actually works during the first few weeks after the 'jump'.

I?m on gabapentin and I?ve been on lyrica. They both take away the withdrawals quite nicely but they run the risk of having their own addictiveness to them. I would say go with the gabapentin first because you?ve never been on either and you have no tolerance to either.

They have their own withdrawals that mimic benzo withdrawals so you?ll have to wean off of those but four weeks seems like a reasonable time limit.

Best of luck..

How long have been on Valium? Because there are a lot of factors. Last year I was cut cold turkey off of three mg a day klonopin. I had two grand mal seizers when I took 22 gabapentin to relieve the withdrawals. That was day fifteen and I did a six day phenobarbital detox.. So I mean there may not be anything you can do. I've warned down from July till the other day and I'm fine.

Weaning is the key to it working out. Don't take excessive amounts to try to relieve your withdrawals. That in itself can throw you into a seizure.

I started taking benzos about two years ago and haven't really had much of a break but I wasn't prescribed any back then. I sourced them myself and my journey is probably similar to a lot of people, take them for a few months and then do the research after you've gone a day or so without and had a panic attack.

Since then I've been in a constant taper and learning cycle. Last year I came so close to abstinence after going a full 70 days until insomnia struck and I started having mad heart palpitations at 5am, I caved in and took 6mg Diazepam. Calmed down but did not sleep. Only other medication I am on is Mirtazapine (Remoron) and foolishly I began to withdraw from this after kicking benzos, excited to be med free... I was feeling great until the insomnia. All down hill since then (about 7 weeks ago). I was put on 10mg diazepam for sleep, given other meds (Hydroxyzine, Zopiclone, Amitriptyline...) - all in a bid for sleep at the time but I realise I was stressed and CNS was de-stabalized so none worked, wide awake for three days. It's a scary thing being awake for that amount of time whilst still taking sleeping pills overs each day!

So, back to Gabapentin/Pregabalin. I think the fact I've not had a long enough break between benzo usage over past two years, my withdrawals are just like you'd expect. Proper benzo withdrawals, reducing as slow as I can to minimise damage and make sure my body is actually ready for the jump. But to answer your question. I haven't abused benzos in a long time and been back on them for 7 weeks (ish). Do you think Gabapentin/Pregabalin could possibly be beneficial in my circumstance. Never had a seizure or anything like that, seems that often comes from going from 100 to 0, cold turkey etc. Though I'm sure there are exceptions.

So yeah, my plan was also to start Gabapentin/Pregabalin at lowest dose. Test the waters that way etc but I can see timing being an issue. I know I'm over thinking but that's part of benzo withdrawal! Let's say you weren't cut of your klonopin (which sounds fucking unbearable and puts my withdrawal into perspective) and you were tapering with Diazepam. Would you still take Gabapentin/Pregabalin after jumping? Would you start before your jump or see how you wen't?

Cheers for the input, I'm not rushing into any decision just looking for perspectives at the minute :)

Well I would take gabapentin for the seizure part and not abuse. Try to use the minor mg as possible. I was on klonopin for seven years and moved from Oklahoma to TN and they yanked me off.

I would suggest that if you can taper than do so. They prescribed Cymbalta and it works wonderfully for me. But I'm almost anti med now but I'm please with what they have done.

I'm on suboxone so I'm kinda forced to stop again but ice weaned from July till now. I take 800 mg three times a day and I'm fine so you should be fine.

Best of luck.