• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

Does Grapefruit/juice work on Gabapentin the same way it does on opioids? And, if so is it JUST grapefruit or do other citrus fruits also work, even if to a lesser degree?

For tolerance/avoiding physical dependency - each script I get is supposed to last 28 days (though I usually try and get it 3 or 4 days early), but actually lasts me about 14 days, so (even with getting me script a few days early) on average I go without it for about 10 days, once a month.
When I start taking it again after the break it definitely hits me A LOT harder (like buzzed off 900mg, high of 1200-1500 mg). It's also kept me from any withdrawal - besides a slight increase in anxiety that's completely manageable with Thorazine - even after I've been in it a little over 2 years.

I was recently also prescribed Lyrica at 50mgs by my ortho to see if it would helped with pain more than Gabs. So, for a few days I put them aside and tried this supposedly better option. First day I was slightly nauseous then very, VERY loopy. I'm talking blah, blah, blah, look at my hand loopy. I also was not functional and productive like my gabbys do. Day 2: function returns, nausea leaves and I have no pain. I've found the wonder pill! Day 3 and Day 4 etc etc...pain and functioning increase is felt less and less so is the nice anxiety decreasing buzz. I expect to loose these things but not so very very fast. If I must choose, I will choose my gabbys.

It's been 9 days since I last took any and the shakiness, sweating and anxiety don't seem to be improving at all yet.

What was your dose of gabapentin?

I was on pregabalin 600mg/d for months until I overdid it (1.2+g/d) and got no more effects at all from it so I quit. Without any withdrawal. This brought me to the theory that higher (post therapeutical) doses of pregabalin might actually be easier to quit because of two different effects of pregabalin, first a GABAergic by inducing an enzyme converting glutamate to GABA and then later as dosage rises a glutamatergic by inhibiting its reuptake by some transporter. These two effects work against each other.

Unfortunately I can't answer your question but I wonder about whether my theory might be true and people could avoid withdrawal by pushing the dose towards the max, getting a nice trip as a cherry on top.

It seemed to last a while for me. I had jumped on gabapentin in order to get off of fairly large doses of pregabalin (900mg/day), then switched to equivalent doses of gabapentin (can't remember perhaps 1800mg a day) and then over a few months completely tapered off of the gabapentin. I was absolutely fine during the day mostly, not much anxiety etc. But at night, the insomnia was soul crushing, and it went on for months, getting either very little or in many cases absolutely no sleep. After something like 80 days of little sleep i gave up and got some phenibut. Been on that shit ever since.

I regret turning to phenibut. I should have acquired some seroquel and knocked myself out until I could sleep again.

I was on pregabalin 600mg/d for months until I overdid it (1.2+g/d) and got no more effects at all from it so I quit. Without any withdrawal. This brought me to the theory that higher (post therapeutical) doses of pregabalin might actually be easier to quit because of two different effects of pregabalin, first a GABAergic by inducing an enzyme converting glutamate to GABA and then later as dosage rises a glutamatergic by inhibiting its reuptake by some transporter. These two effects work against each other.

Unfortunately I can't answer your question but I wonder about whether my theory might be true and people could avoid withdrawal by pushing the dose towards the max, getting a nice trip as a cherry on top.

Sorry, I see that you deleted this comment after you posted it but do you recall where you read about this glutamate to GABA conversion phenomenon? My apologies for undeleting.

I was *prescribed* 1800mg/day but took anywhere from 1200mg-4200mg/day.

It seemed to last a while for me. I had jumped on gabapentin in order to get off of fairly large doses of pregabalin (900mg/day), then switched to equivalent doses of gabapentin (can't remember perhaps 1800mg a day) and then over a few months completely tapered off of the gabapentin. I was absolutely fine during the day mostly, not much anxiety etc. But at night, the insomnia was soul crushing, and it went on for months, getting either very little or in many cases absolutely no sleep. After something like 80 days of little sleep i gave up and got some phenibut. Been on that shit ever since.

I regret turning to phenibut. I should have acquired some seroquel and knocked myself out until I could sleep again.

Yes, sleep and anxiety are the only two effects that are serious. I get sudden bouts of moderate excess-sweating off and on as well as nausea, diarrhea and trembling, but I can cope with those.
I hear you on the Quetiapine.
I'm managing to bring the symptoms down somewhat by taking 50mg Thorazine 3 or 4 times a day for anxiety and 75mg of Trazodone at night for sleep.

Sorry, I see that you deleted this comment after you posted it but do you recall where you read about this glutamate to GABA conversion phenomenon? My apologies for undeleting.
I've deleted it because I have no prove than my own case and think it isn't safe to recommend high dosages.

But about the conversion, it's on Wikipedia:

However, pregabalin has been found to produce a dose-dependent increase in the brain expression of L-glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD), the enzyme responsible for synthesizing GABA, and hence may have some indirect GABAergic effects by increasing GABA levels in the brain.[69][70][71]
I'm not completely sure now if glutamic acid is glutamate, I think before it stated glutamate to GABA. Saturation of this enzyme would explain why low doses of pregabalin are sedating while it becomes a stimulant in higher dosages. The other mechanism beside a2d Ca channels, GLT-1 transporter blockade is on pubmed somewhere

How did I never know of this thread before? I was gonna make a thread asking for a Gabapentin megathread and only found this when I searched "gabapentin megathread" just in case one did exist but was dormant or something.

Happy to be here and try and read through all these posts. Gabapentin is actually probably my favourite drug right now. I think maybe even more than morphine right now :/ or at least equal

Wow, reading these posts Gabapentin seems to either do almost nothing for people are A LOT. I feel really lucky to be in the latter group. I wonder why some drugs are so much that way?
The only other one I can really think of is Tramadol. Personally, I get NOTHING from it even at very high doses, but it's amazing to some people. Although I do wonder if, with Tramadol, it's people who are on anti-depressants (especially SSRIs or SNRIs) who feel very little from it as I think it's mild SNRI effects combined with it's mild opioid effects is what makes it so good for some people. Like if you're mildly-moderately depressed and then you're suddenly given an opioid that is a low-key anti-depressant to boot.

I came across a DICK load of gabapentin... long story, but i had like 200g lying around and i have experimented with it many times. 3g plus couple of beers and im completely wasted... myoclonus, ataxia, slurred speech. Not all that recreational.

I find if i split the doses by an hour or so, i get more out of it. Its an interesting buzz, especially with a billy or two.

And for some reason, having a cigarette after a large dose has kicked enhances the effects.

Still i think pregabalin is the way to go... if you like just being wasted that is

Ah, the ONE negative for me with it is that it makes my myoclonus way worse (dose-dependant). I have it mildly anyway, but Gabapentin definitely makes myoclonus worse.

Gabapentin for me is more for a relaxed Half drunken feeling where pregabalin a more stimulating drunken feeling, weird. Bur both works great for me and lately when I use Gabapentin I use the ER version that works like a bomb.

I have been on and off gabapentin since 2005. At first I had a very euphoric reaction. Now, I'm on Lyrica and it barely reduces the chronic pain that I am in. Crazy how our bodies can change !

I have been on and off gabapentin since 2005. At first I had a very euphoric reaction. Now, I'm on Lyrica and it barely reduces the chronic pain that I am in. Crazy how our bodies can change !
From what dose(s) of gabapentin to what dose(s) of pregabalin?
No way a doctor here just maybe insight from experiences with these substances.
Best