Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Friends, drugs and emergency situations

friskk

Bluelighter
After almost losing my gf last year to the heat and a drug overdose.. I ensured that all my friends around me were properly educated and made aware of their responsibilities to themselves...

It's quite easily to get carried away and get fucked up way too hard.. and there's no where to go when it's that hot. It's not like a club where there is a chill out room or you can go to somewhere quiet and just cool down.. this is a constant in your face environment.

I totally agree Earthcore is a well run event.. The security and medical people on site are the FUCKIN BEST!!! I will never ever ever have anything bad to say about them... but we have to ensure that we utilise their services...

Plan your day out with your friends.. tell them where you will be... plan to meet them at certain times... Don't be scared to report your friend missing. You may feel stupid but it could save their lives.

I still remember when my friend was convulsing on the ground going in to seizure and she stopped breathing.. people told me not to call the ambulance cause it would wreck the atmosphere... they said 'she'd sleep it off and be ok.' If i had waited.. she would have died. Guarenteed. Her heart stopped in the ambulance.

Don't listen to people around you.. do what you think is correct. Don't be scared... Don't feel stupid... How much is your friend's life worth? Will you be able to live with the guilt?

Police don't need a greater presence.. people just need to grow up and look after their friends. Take responsibility for their actions.

F

^ That's the other thing. People shouldn't ever say "Just let him/her sleep it off." Especially if said person expresses how unwell they're feeling. It is ALWAYS worth heading across to the First Aid tent. No one is going to yell at you for taking drugs, and fuck "the atmosphere" - the atmosphere is going to be much worse when someone dies. (Most of) you are not doctors, don't decide to make the judgment call yourself. I implore you.

If your friends are in trouble, do the right thing by them.

friskk said:
I still remember when my friend was convulsing on the ground going in to seizure and she stopped breathing.. people told me not to call the ambulance cause it would wreck the atmosphere... they said 'she'd sleep it off and be ok.'

sadly you have to expect such attitudes with the war on drugs, which is why the Woods' anti-drug stance post anna's death annoys the fuck out of me.

heh, I skimmed your post and though you said "why anna's post annoys the fuck out of me" :eek: There was going to be quite a lashing!

I agree though, such attitudes are to be expected. But they're not good - there simply has to be a focus on making sure people who are having bad drug experiences are HELPED, and not subjected to police investigation. If no one separates "ambulance" from "law enforcement", people will keep dying because the people around them are too scared of what the cops might do.

I'll relate a story of something that happened to me about 3 years ago. I was at my (then) home, smoking bongs with a group of other people. There were drugs in the house. I completely wigged out and started losing my mind. I was SO terrified that I was going to die, I called an ambulance - and someone cancelled it and told me to "sleep it off".

The next day they gave me a very SternWord about calling an ambulance with drugs in the house. I hate to think what would have happened if someone had been seriously ill. That kind of attitude simply must be erradicated.

I might split this thread into its own thread soon, if anyone is interested in discussing it.

Anna! I think this probably does deserve it's own thread. It's a pretty important topic in terms of Harm-Reduction.

anna! said:
If no one separates "ambulance" from "law enforcement", people will keep dying because the people around them are too scared of what the cops might do. ...... That kind of attitude simply must be erradicated.

I wholeheartedly agree. When I have spoken to paramedics/ambulance staff in the past, they have said outright that the fact that there are probably more drugs around the scene of an OD is their least concern.

They are there to help the person in trouble, which they can do a lot more effectively if they know the details of what has been taken and when. Keeping information from these carers (or not calling them in the first place) is extremely irresponsible and reckless.

Despite being serious drug-fiends, the vast majority of my friends take their harm-minimisation very seriously. I would not feel at all comfortable taking drugs around people who I didn't believe would call an Ambulance if I needed it.

I can't believe someone would ever consider not going for help if they saw another person convulsing on the ground. 'Ruin the atmosphere?' WTF? If I heard someone say that I would probably punch them in the head and then I'd have to call for two ambulances.

The ambos and hospitals have no obligation to tell the cops if drugs were involved. There's really no reason not to visit first aid or call the ambos if you're in doubt. What i've gathered from first hand accounts is that it is hospital policy NOT to tell the cops if drugs were involved. Possibly it could be covered by doctor-patient confidentiality anyway.

up all night said:
I can't believe someone would ever consider not going for help if they saw another person convulsing on the ground. 'Ruin the atmosphere?' WTF? If I heard someone say that I would probably punch them in the head and then I'd have to call for two ambulances.

Exactly what I was thinking.

^^ spot on potato - ambo's request police assist only when they suspect possibility of violence - not likely at a doof!!!

Even in the US, where police regularly attend ODs, people still call ambulances - they just hide their drugs before the police turn up! (Check out some threads on BL about this - too lazy to UTFSE myself ;) )

Myself - I have done multiple 1st aid courses over the years. If you're going to take risks, be prepared.

btw - this joke doesn't work very often, but try: "Does the pope take ecstacy?!" (in place of "Does a bear shit in the woods/does Dolly Parton sleep on her back etc). When someone finally says "No", you can say gleefully; "Anna would (Wood)!!!" :)

I'm bumping this because I think it's well worth it.

The girl who introduced me to recreational drugs once told me a story about how a friend of hers had once od'd (I think on G but I'm not 100% sure)...anyway, the response his friends had was to drag him into a bush where nobody could see him and just leave him there, figuring that he'd recover. He did, but that's not the point.

The idea that someone could be so self-absorbed and so scared of being caught out as a drug user that they would risk letting a friend die fucking blows me away.

As has already been said....please...if your friend is in danger, get them whatever help they need. No drugs are worth losing someone over....

I would rather go to jail and have my friend live than let them die and not get in to trouble.

There is no price on a life... If you can pop drugs in to your bodies with your friends.. you can also be responsible for each other.

BTW my friend who overdosed.. her drink was spiked.

I just wish the government and police force did their anti drug campaigns a bit better. I think the police have a lot to answer for. It's their attitude towards drugs that land a lot of people in to hot water.

It's so refreshing to see a website where people think about their fellow man..

Top work guys!:)

A technique to reduce someones core temperature:

pour water over wrists, forearms, and on the base of the neck.

My Experince as evidence, at a warehouse party (Synapse 2) i was dance next to a guy who started to stagger told me he had lost his vision, then he dropped, i caught him, took him to the side. sat him down (did the above technique) and sent a friend to get some help (i had a friend in 6th medicine at the time to oversee and decide whether paramedics were necessary. they werent.

HOWEVER: i wouldve called the ambulance were it not for my doctor-to-be friend, this technique works best when self administered (ie: you've been dancing for a bit and feel that real hot feeling in a hot and stuff room). in such cases as the above, dont take it upon yourself to make the decisions.

How someone can just leave a friend who needs medical attention is a fucking joke. I would never do that, and I know my friends would never do that. We have been there a few times, and each time we have stayed with that person, insisted they get medical attention, been completely honest with medical staff, and stayed with them until they are well enough to go home. And they would do the same for me. If you arent prepared to do that for your friend you go out with, you're a fucking loser. In my opinion, if your "friends" wouldn't do that for you, they aren't true friends. When we go out.... it's all for one, and one for all.

Don't be dumb people!

friskk said:
I just wish the government and police force did their anti drug campaigns a bit better.

how so?

would you prefer the cops say "do as many drugs as you can possibly do, but as soon as you hit trouble, dont be afraid of us! we'll call an ambulance for you and make sure you get home safely, because we care!"

drugs are illegal for a reason, and cops enforce this. saying that the police need a better anti drug campaign is like saying al queda need a more peaceful way of waging their jihad. its not happening.

preacha said:
would you prefer the cops say "do as many drugs as you can possibly do, but as soon as you hit trouble, dont be afraid of us! we'll call an ambulance for you and make sure you get home safely, because we care!"

YES!

Of all the time Ive been out on a hard night with friends we have never come across having to get medical attention, *knocks on wood* but I know my friends would be there for me, aswell I know Id be there for them Id ammeditly get them to help no questions asked.. For anyone having second thoughts your a selfish fuck and get a life!!

Anti-drug laws kill people, look at prohabition and you should always look after the fallen. It could be you next time. Also, dont mix drugs, too much, or over do it. Be responsible.

middle finger said:
How someone can just leave a friend who needs medical attention is a fucking joke. I would never do that, and I know my friends would never do that. We have been there a few times, and each time we have stayed with that person, insisted they get medical attention, been completely honest with medical staff, and stayed with them until they are well enough to go home. And they would do the same for me. If you arent prepared to do that for your friend you go out with, you're a fucking loser. In my opinion, if your "friends" wouldn't do that for you, they aren't true friends. When we go out.... it's all for one, and one for all.

Don't be dumb people!

Brilliantly put. My thoughts exactly.

Duty of Care with friends (and others in trouble) should go without saying.

preacha said:
^^ i thought it was the drugs that kill people
my mistake

Common misconception. Drugs are a chemical substance, something that we've been messing with for millions of years and other animals use also. By making anti-drug laws you develop a black market, which inturn is shown to increase the use of drugs in society whilst at the same time lowering the quality of the drugs and the education levels associated with them.