• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Formula 1

Okay, after listening to youtube videos of old races featuring the 18,000 rpm naturally aspirated 2.4L V8s and the 15,000 rpm turbocharged 1.6L V6s I am utterly pissed. Sure there's more to it than a family sedan's V6, but it no longer sounds like an F1 car. It sounds deep and growly, not the shredding scream I love. I love deep and growly for a torque spewing hot rod, but not a high speed, refined race car.

I haven't yet seen an F1 race in person and part of what I was looking forward to was the sound. Nothing beats the sound of an engine IRL, and based on what I heard via mic and speaker I was expecting great things. My hopes seem dashed for the foreseeable future. :(

I know it's not exactly F1 or GT cars but do any of you guys get into Le Mans style events? It's always been my favorite auto-sport to watch, I just can't get enough! :)

You'd better get used to it Peppersocks because it won't be long until electric engines are the Formula 1 standard. I'll probably give it a miss until they have Wipeout style pod racers

I know it's not exactly F1 or GT cars but do any of you guys get into Le Mans style events? It's always been my favorite auto-sport to watch, I just can't get enough! :)

I'm into all motorsports. LeMans is cool, endurance racing is another animal. The fact that fuelling up means a time consuming pit stop there's a balance of power and fuel consumption. With diesel engines being high on the power:consumption ratio they had a definite place in LeMans. I haven't kept up with it, but I know they did that in the past.

The only professional race cars I saw in person was at a Rolex 24hr qualifying session at Daytona. That was cool as hell. They had Corvette, Porsche GT3's, Ferrari F50s, basically all road legal cars, but they were souped to the nines of course. I was at the 4th corner iirc, beginning of a straight, at the wall. When they past by and put their foot down for the straight with high tune and free flowing pipes.. WHOA :D =D

I've been working on and playing with machines for a while, but that blew me away.

You'd better get used to it Peppersocks because it won't be long until electric engines are the Formula 1 standard. I'll probably give it a miss until they have Wipeout style pod racers

Oh lord. I'm all about electric cars, specifically H-fuel cells because it's nice to be able to drive more than 300km and be able to fill up a tank. Once the electric grid is decarbonized and we can make huge hydrogen quantities via electrolysis that'll be great. However, please leave motorsports alone. We can even take motorsports off fossil fuels. We can't make enough ethanol to run an economy on, but we can make enough for sporting (and drinking) purposes. Ethanol is good stuff; in pure state it's 114 octane, it was used pure for indycar iirc.

Back in the 80s F1 was on turbo'd V6s. 80s and 2014 engines sound so similar. It seems rules change ever few years. I bet there will be enough backlash that they'll take the turbo off. Superchargers would be better, they don't obstruct the exhaust path. Also redline can be raised. In the short-ish term; likely after 2014 I'm hoping they find motivation to supercharge and up redline. Then go naturally aspirated/ethanol V8-12 when 'new engine time' comes.

It seems like they're trying to slow F1 down. Is this not balls-to-the-walls, make the car as fast as technology allows a turning car to go? I'm all for environmentalism, but come on, this is racing, not the place to practice restraint.

OTW, there actually is an electric division; Formula E

I'm reliving the glory days of F1 via youtube. Those naturally aspirated V10s are music to my hears. My hairs stand on end when the note hits just right. :)