• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Former NSW premiere Bob Carr backing Australia's first ice smoking room

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Drug law reformers are pushing to get Australia's first ice smoking room underway claiming it will reduce crime, despite the NSW State Government fighting against the plan.

Like the Kings Cross injecting room, the supervised ice smoking rooms are said to be a place where ice addicts can safely inhale the drug.

The radical rooms would not provide any substances to users, but are said to offer clean pipes and smoking equipment as well as addiction health services.

heroin4.jpg

Liverpool has been identified as a possible location to bring in the rooms, but the local council, residents and business owners are opposing the idea saying it will take them back "to the dark days".

Harry Hunt from the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce doesn't want the rooms in his backyard and told 7 News the council is "trying to improve the image of Liverpool."

Korey Kalkanli told 7 News: “It’s Liverpool going back into the the dark days where we had a problem with heroin.”

heroin2.jpg

heroin3.jpg

Drug law reformer Matt Noffs, from the Tedd Noffs Foundation, disagrees and claims the rooms will make Liverpool look cleaner and make communities safer.

“That is to save lives and make the streets safer," Mr Noffs said.

"It will make communities safer and of course, push people into treatment faster."

Although the NSW Government is not on board, former Premier Bob Carr has backed the idea saying it is one that must be discussed.

“I think the principal could well be the same,” Mr Carr says.

The controversial group behind the idea say they are going to go ahead with the plan even if it leads to an arrest and believe the government will eventually back the idea.

European drug rooms

heroin-1.jpg

In Bern, Switzerland, and Frankfurt, Germany, drug inhalation rooms have operating for years alongside intravenous drug supervision facilities for decades.

A clinic in Amsterdam - one of three injection sites in the Dutch capital - actually distributes free heroin to long-term addicts as part of a government program created for hardened addicts who might otherwise commit a crime to pay for their fix.

About 80 users visit up to three times a day.

Most are men, and the average age is 60. Many began using in the 1970s and 1980s.

The main objective of the facility is to reduce risk to users so they can ideally cut back while reducing their effects on the community.

The plan comes just weeks after a man - described as the “face of ice” - bombarded Queensland police with roof tiles in three hour standoff.

The 23-year-old man had climbed on top of a stranger's roof and threw tiles at police for hours in what appears to be a drug-induced psychotic episode.

In exclusive footage obtained by 7 News, the man yells out obscenities while throwing tiles from the elderly widowed grandmother's roof.

The man was eventually pulled down and limping with blood over his body, he was loaded into an ambulance wearing handcuffs and medical equipment.

Source: https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/3197440...king-australias-first-ice-smoking-room/#page1

About 80 users visit up to three times a day.

Most are men, and the average age is 60. Many began using in the 1970s and 1980s.

Not expecting it to be the older crowd going to the facility, thats definitely an interesting twist.

I still think it would be a good idea to conduct an extended study in order to establish the efficacy of the prodrug Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) when prescribed as a maintenance medication for meth addicts (obviously taken orally once a day) with the long term goal of slowly but surely weening them off of all such stimulants. And if it so happens that the results indicate a reliable use of Vyvanse for such a purpose, then it should be offered as part of a comprehensive program run alongside "ice smoking rooms."

I see the merits in this plan, but "ice smoking" is nothing like "heroin injecting" - so supervised rooms or whatever seems kinda weird.

Why not just have "drug taking/trading" zones where people could buy, trade, use - whatever - any drug they wanted?
Acid dropping rooms. Various drug "transit lounges"?
They always target the headline problem - which isn't necessarily bad, but i don't really see the point of this - unless there is a problem of people doing meth on the street. Which i kinda doubt.

It seems like a one-size-fits-all approach to drugs, as if heroin and meth have the same problems associated with their use.
Providing clean smoking equipment wouldn't be even necessary if most states hadn't banned meth pipes.

^ perfect install for me would be candy flipping rooms adjacent to the supervised K and nitrous room. And I wanna be able to ask for things from staff members. All I would do is work and hit up the K lounge with the candy flipping one on specific weekends lol.

This is kinda interesting. I guess the ability to do it legaly is good.

They should kill two birds with one stone and combine it with an electronics stripping and recycling operation.

Lol NSA. I see any step towards legalization and positive helpful views of drug addicts is a step in the right direction.

I hope everything is nailed down and there is nothing of value there lol....tweakers. I get heroin injection rooms, what if you get fent and od? boom, emt with narcan and o2, or if you cant get on im pretty sure they can help you there as well..not inject it for you or anything but help you find a vein so youre not doing something crazy like shooting into your jugular or feet or something. but I cant see people smoking meth having any problems except maybe if they have a bad heart or something? I guess I just see a bunch of tweakers sitting around smoking and shooting meth, rocking back and forth picking at themselves.

Any safe use/injection site, is a beachhead in the war against the war on drugs and is a victory for harm reduction.

These locations are perfect for research, medical treatment to at risk members of society, and places where addicts can seek neutral advice on their own terms. The work I've seen in Vancouver has proven to me that these places work.

When safe injection sites where first announced they were greeted with scorn even from the drug community. Now they measurably save money and lives.

Any safe use/injection site, is a beachhead in the war against the war on drugs and is a victory for harm reduction.

These locations are perfect for research, medical treatment to at risk members of society, and places where addicts can seek neutral advice on their own terms. The work I've seen in Vancouver has proven to me that these places work.

When safe injection sites where first announced they were greeted with scorn even from the drug community. Now they measurably save money and lives.

Yeah, you're right.

Fear of the unknown and/or that which is not comprehensively understood has perpetuated a legacy of intense controversy towards fundamental changes which ultimately have gone on to indisputably save lives, money, and much more.

It's so typical for a portion of the population to be on the verge of hysteria because it has been decided the status quo needs a changing and so it shall be. Unsurprisingly, these are commonly the same individuals who are classed as being in and among the lowest tier of informed voters.

I'm so glad that internet access has had the long term effect of undermining the corporate/mainstream media's firm grip on daily news stories from around the world. No longer can they bullshit with the same level of impunity which allowed for the war on drugs propaganda to brainwash the public for several decades straight. Let's just hope that there are no successful attempts to have access to it either censored or removed outright.

I still think it would be a good idea to conduct an extended study in order to establish the efficacy of the prodrug Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) when prescribed as a maintenance medication for meth addicts (obviously taken orally once a day) with the long term goal of slowly but surely weening them off of all such stimulants. And if it so happens that the results indicate a reliable use of Vyvanse for such a purpose, then it should be offered as part of a comprehensive program run alongside "ice smoking rooms."

These kind of programs have been tried many times before, from what I remember the results are almost universally negative. It just doesn't work thanks to the differences between amphetamine addiction and opioid addiction.

A meth smoking room does seem kind of pointless on the surface, but as has been pointed out, it could serve as an important contact point for addicts (especially the most desperate addicts, who are the ones most likely to avail themselves of such a service) and HR services

Why would desperate addicts go from one side of Sydney to the other side to smoke meth in a room? Surely they'd just smoke meth in any room anywhere?

Why would desperate addicts go from one side of Sydney to the other side to smoke meth in a room? Surely they'd just smoke meth in any room anywhere?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Like a public bathroom or something?

I get safe injection sites because access to clean syringes is important, but "clean pipes and smoking equipment"? You don't even need a pipe to smoke meth, just a tattered strip of aluminum foil & rolled up piece of paper for a straw, lol

Well it's not like people jump on a train to shoot up three times a day in kings cross, the facilities there were built in a place where there was already a large population injecting on the street, and that's their primary demographic. I assume the plan is that this "smoking room" would be likewise targeted, located somewhere where there's already a population of probably homeless people smoking in less than ideal conditions (alleyways, etc).

I agree, it's not exactly a game changer the way the kings cross injection center is, but if even a small number of people come in for whatever reason, even if it's just that they broke their pipe and need a fresh one, then they're being put in contact with HR resources, and that's always a good thing.

Honestly, the best facility they could probably provide for homeless meth addicts would be somewhere they can go, be given some seroquel and maybe a bit of valium, crash out for 12 hours, wake up to a healthy meal and a shower, and have the chance to speak to a doctor on their way out the door for a mental health evaluation. Lack of sleep and nutrition are the big issues, not dirty pipes.