• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

FML...Found a lost bag, and guess what??

You don?t have the will to say no, though.

It?s a concept.

The addict wants to think otherwise in hopes of reuniting with the honeymoon phase, or trick themselves into thinking they can use again without resuming addiction/withdrawals/hangover.

I can say no to free heroin. I have before.

I know I won?t say no to free meth. From experience and I know I would shamelessly use again.

I?m alright with that. I have accepted it. I am imperfect.

I'm not sure this 12 steps type attitude applies to me. My goal is to be able to be around heroin, opiates, and have the will to resist. While of course avoiding situations where I'm around them.

I haven't abused hard drugs since Jan 2014 but I still drink socially, much to the dismay of my NA friends. I have maybe 2-5 drinks per month. Alcohol was never an issue with me, of course I realize that doesn't mean it couldn't be in the future. Opiates are the only thing that really tempt me. In the least year I had more than 3 drinks only twice, and never more than 5. Sure this is a risk, but I don't think I could live my life without the occasional indilgence.. just what what I've been working on.

I believe that active addiction strips your willpower, and it is up to you to take it back. Working around lack of willpower is also a viable strategy, but didn't seem right for me.

I hate the 12 steps I think they're complete bullshit and no offense to anyone that they work for it but it's never worked for me

I'm not sure this 12 steps type attitude applies to me. My goal is to be able to be around heroin, opiates, and have the will to resist. While of course avoiding situations where I'm around them.

I haven't abused hard drugs since Jan 2014 but I still drink socially, much to the dismay of my NA friends. I have maybe 2-5 drinks per month. Alcohol was never an issue with me, of course I realize that doesn't mean it couldn't be in the future. Opiates are the only thing that really tempt me. In the least year I had more than 3 drinks only twice, and never more than 5. Sure this is a risk, but I don't think I could live my life without the occasional indilgence.. just what what I've been working on.

I believe that active addiction strips your willpower, and it is up to you to take it back. Working around lack of willpower is also a viable strategy, but didn't seem right for me.

It's not a 12 step attitude. I don't believe in god. I don't believe in the 12 steps. Not everyone has amends to make.

I just know I don't have the power to say no to methamphetamine. I love it "too much", if you will. I'm alright with that. I'm an intelligent person, and I'd like to think I learned about myself in the process and I am using this knowledge to my advantage.

To use uncontrollably and think you're in control is being in denial of the problem. If someone had such will power/control to begin with, it would have never turned into a problem.

If I'm given or find methamphetamine, I'm going to use it. Perhaps not all at once, perhaps not immediately, but undeniably the same day and probably as quickly as I can safely do so.

If I found meth I would do it.

Don’t feel bad. It’s a lack of will power, none of us want to be powerless.

Aye, I'd do almost any drug at all that I found in my room. Also, for me and dope - one of the main gripes I have is the economic distress it causes. So if the drugs are free, I really don't even feel all that bad for doing them.

At any rate - just remember, a lapse is NOT a relapse, not by a long shot.

Further, whether it be smack or cigarettes, I've always found that having a negative view of a lapse is also a recipe for trouble. Whereas, if I just take it in stride and don't blow it out of proportion, then I can do fine and not relapse. So my advise is just to stop thinking about it as symbolic. It's just a tiny thing that happened. Using drugs once, in an isolated event, is not a problem at all unless you make it one.

So do the best you can to not make a problem of it. Don't over think it. Don't think it represents anything. It's not a sign of anything. It's not symbolic of anything. it doesn't mean anything.

All that happened is you found some (free) drugs and took them. That's it. Everything is exactly as it was.

Good luck :)

It's not a 12 step attitude. I don't believe in god. I don't believe in the 12 steps. Not everyone has amends to make.

I just know I don't have the power to say no to methamphetamine. I love it "too much", if you will. I'm alright with that. I'm an intelligent person, and I'd like to think I learned about myself in the process and I am using this knowledge to my advantage.

To use uncontrollably and think you're in control is being in denial of the problem. If someone had such will power/control to begin with, it would have never turned into a problem.

If I'm given or find methamphetamine, I'm going to use it. Perhaps not all at once, perhaps not immediately, but undeniably the same day and probably as quickly as I can safely do so.

I agree. i think there's a big difference between idealism and pragmatism. Ideally - I'd love to have perfect will power, so I could could use all my favourite drugs, in moderation and never develop an addiction/problem.

However - pragmatically, over time, I've come to accept certain statistical likelihoods about myself and now I put pragmatic measures in place to try and help me not encounter high-risk situations.

Anyway, do what works for you, obviously. But if what you want to achieve is not working for you, never lie to yourself about it. If you're able to achieve your ideal, that's great. But most addicts become addicts because that is not something they're able to achieve.