• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Flaxseed oil doesn't work the magic fish oil does

it would make sense that the type of oil you combat depression with comes from another living creature.

i prefer to get my omegas from food as opposed to supplements. fish, cranberries, avocados, flax seed oil in salad or rice, hemp seed...mm its good for the brain :)

it would make sense that the type of oil you combat depression with comes from another living creature.

Well, not really, but I guess it's fun to believe in that sort of stuff.

prefer to get my omegas from food as opposed to supplements. fish, cranberries, avocados, flax seed oil in salad or rice, hemp seed...mm its good for the brain

Oil supplements will provide exactly what they say on the box (unless fraudulent). Though I agree that it's probably best to simply have a good diet and as few supplements as needed.

flaxseeds in pancakes sounds yummy - though I wouldn't do it cos it's an oil with a very low burning point - the moment this happens (when it burns, i.e. goes up in smoke) is the moment it becomes basically bad for you... dunno exactly what happens, I think it goes rancid or hydrogenates or somethign and all the goodness is out and the badness is in or something... see for yourself... put flaxseed oil in a frying pan and up the heat... see how long it takes for it to start smokin'... try the same with olive oil (similarly pretty quick affair). Do it with peanut oil and see how that takes a lot longer. As does rapeseed oil, I think. This is why I use these for frying . Sorry, a lil' off-topic but the flaxseed pancakes pressed my I-gotta-tell-you-this button ;)

lol your not fryin the pancakes you cook them low heat.....I dont know you should just try for yourself. I will give my recipe. its just regular pancake mix you buy at the store nothing fancy, and mix a scoop or scoop and a half of vanilla whey protein powder and a about a half a cup of flax seed there you want the flax seed thats like crushed already. and if you want which is what i do throw some fresh blueberries in there. I eat a lot of blueberries. they are the best antioxidant

Also if you dont want to try the pancakes i got recipes for smoothies cus i mix my flaxseed in there as well, and they are delicious.

mmmmh! sounds tasty. I enjoy my blueberries too. I also like adding crushed grapeseeds into my smoothies ...

Carlson brand cod liver oil. look into it. It is cutting edge stuff NOTICIBLY better for you feeling of well being than any other barnd IMHO>
and dont feel bad about fish dying. this planet has been covered with animals killing other animals for ****** years !
I was a vegeatrian for 30 years , and one day i saw a commercial on tv and my mouth watered, i went out bought sardines and ate them and have done so for the past few years and I have 1/3rds fewer colds and all kinds of inprovements in health, Fish can not be beat ! I would kill my own if I had the time and theh access to good fish .

i used to be in sales for supplements and learned about them with a passion and still some now. I would like to say that fish oil and flaxseed oil do have different omega fatty acid complexes but.... Flaxseed oil contains the ALA and others that are converted by the bodies systems to turn it into EPA and DHA. You simply cut out the middle man with fish oil, but flaxseed contains the only essential omega fatty acids as the body cant make them but can make epa and dha from them. This being said as part of a "normal" healthy diet for most flaxseed is best but fish oil will enhance benefits recieved by dha and epa. Also the amount of conversion of flaxseed oil varies on your body. Some the factors that can effect your bodies ability to convert it are, lack of vitamins specificly Bs and E, having more than a little of trans fats(hydronated fats) in your diet(they intefere with many of the bodies activities hormones etc.) Another point i should make is all fatty acids including ordinary olive oil need to be extracted and stored in oxygen free atmospher, zero UV light, cold, and chemical free (most are not). If it is they will say so as it is a huge selling point to those in the know also if its really good it will be refrigerated at the store as you should at home regardless.Im sorry cant be more detailed but i havent studied supplements much for awhile and of course this is partly my opinion in what one should use.

Last edited:
Flaxseed meal package just opened --> put in freezer

personally i enjoy the omega balance that flax has, but i guess health is subjective. have a nice day.

>> and dont feel bad about fish dying. this planet has been covered with animals killing other animals for ****** years !>>

Heh...people will decide how they feel on their own.

ebola

SO will I get the same benefits as from the oil if I blend the flaxseed in my morning smoothie? I put in about 3 tablespoons of flax every morning with my papaya / nopal cactus / banana / oatmeal / amaranth shake

Also where I'm living ( southern Mexico) I can't get fish oil supplements, but do eat fresh ocean fish about two or three times a day.

My vegan 3-6-9 works just fine for me :) but I only take it for skin issues, along with a swathe of other stuff.

After reading this a few times I decided to buy a bottle. It was just from Walgreens. It's Nature's bounty Omega-3 fish oil 1000mg. I also got the odorless brand because of some warning about fishy smelling burps. Now that i'm thinking about it though... this isn't going to cut back on any of the benefits is it? Any info would be appreciated.

^ no, 'odourless' doesn't affect the benefits at all. All it means is they've put a special coating on the capsule (enteric-coating) which stops it from digesting until it reaches your stomach - rather than digesting in the upper or lower intestine, which is usually what causes the problems with reflux.

If anything, enteric-coated fish oil caps are better because they digest where they are supposed to, therefore gaining maximum absorption and bio-availability.