• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants First day on Vyvanse: any advice?

Tallbuilding

Greenlighter
Hi all,

So I took my 30g XR dose of Vyvanse at 6:30 this morning (with breakfast), and the first couple of hours were great: stimulated, sociable, felt like I wanted know more and do more, just what I hoped for. For the first couple of hours at work I was very impressed with the stuff, and as I proofread a lot at work, the concentration and lack of distraction I was experiencing was very beneficial. The concentration benefits lasted for about 6 hours in total.

However, around 3-4 hours post dosing I began to experience anxiety. I have anxiety (especially approach/social anxiety) already, but this definitely felt exacerbated: jittery, uncomfortable, high heart rate, etc. Also, in general I suffer slightly from a stutter, and Vyvanse didn't help this. Maybe it was the anxiety caused which made the stutter worse, but I definitely felt that my speech was suffering as a result. As my speech is something which I am very self conscious about, the experience was far from enjoyable. I decided to take a multivitamin and L-Theanine (250mg) to try and help, and I think it helped curb the jitters/slight shaking, but I still didn't feel too great.

After work I decided to head into town, do some shopping, and I found it hard to chat with anyone, hold eye contact, etc, and my speech was quite slurred and 'stuttery'. Definitely not a me which I would like my gf/family to see. Mid afternoon all of the beneficial impacts had gone, and I didn't have much motivation to do anything. No higher levels of concentration either.

I tried Ritalin before Vyvanse, and I experienced awful side effects from that so I stopped after the first day. This time it was better in that there were no nausea/headaches/tiredness/stomach upset, but the fact that the good effects only really lasted around 4 hours, and taking into account the anxiety, speech problems and groggy comedown in the afternoon, I'm not too sure if I want to continue.

Given that it's my first day, do you think I should carry on and see if these side effects/comedown alleviate with time, or could it be that Stims, be it IR or XR, just aren't for me. I do have another option in Strattera, with the effects starting to be noticeable in around a month.

Sorry if this was quite long, but I hope any of you can offer some advice! :)

Make sure to eat to help the jitters but not to much. Also avoid acidic foods and drinks.... like no OJ for breakfast and drink alkaline water and take some antacids of you wan the effects of Vyvanse. The more acidic your urine is the shorter the half life of amphetemines. Someone with a system that is more alkaline will end up increasing the half life of the drug dramatically. Google "amphetamine half life" and "acidic vs alkaline PH" to do more research.

I've taken 70mg for years. For me, it is mild and not "speedy" at all. If I don't take it every day, I get a slight buzz but when I take it often I just feel focused and alert. I don't feel jittery. I can take a Vyvanse and go to sleep an hour later and I can take one and eat whenever I want to. It doesn't seem to affect me like it does most folks. My friend took one and stayed up for 4 days.

h

Make sure to eat to help the jitters but not to much. Also avoid acidic foods and drinks.... like no OJ for breakfast and drink alkaline water and take some antacids of you wan the effects of Vyvanse. The more acidic your urine is the shorter the half life of amphetemines. Someone with a system that is more alkaline will end up increasing the half life of the drug dramatically. Google "amphetamine half life" and "acidic vs alkaline PH" to do more research.

Many
thanks for the response. So perhaps taking something like a Tums tablet to chew on when the effects are wearing off, would that help at all? I don't drink much OJ anyway. In the morning I have granola, chia seeds and milk, and a protein shake, then another breakfast of porridge, sultanas and peanut butter about 2 hours later at work, then I might snack on stuff like bananas until lunch time, maybe something like pitta bread/hummus.

I've heard that Magnesium helps with the duration of Vyvanse's effects, but I can't be sure if that's always the case. I have the Solgar brand Magnesium, Zinc and Calicum which I could try?

Last edited:
Hey there, thanks for the comment. Would you say it's always been like that for you? Do you/did you have much of a comedown, anxiety, etc, when you were first taking it? Thing is, I'm not sure if I continue to take it, whether the side effects will be lessened over time. I just can't tell.

Many
thanks for the response. So perhaps taking something like a Tums tablet to chew on when the effects are wearing off, would that help at all? I don't drink much OJ anyway. In the morning I have granola, chia seeds and milk, and a protein shake, then another breakfast of porridge, sultanas and peanut butter about 2 hours later at work, then I might snack on stuff like bananas until lunch time, maybe something like pitta bread/hummus.

I've heard that Magnesium helps with the duration of Vyvanse's effects, but I can't be sure if that's always the case. I have the Solgar brand Magnesium, Zinc and Calicum which I could try?

Vyvanse is a long acting, smooth prodrug of dextroamphetamine. At first, any amphetamine can catch you off guard. The advise about maintaining proper nutrition and cal/mag/zinc supplementation is spot on. You don't need any tums. That "may" amplify effects of the medication.

i would give it a few days. It can be pretty speedy, depending on what you are focusing on. Take it early in the morning. That stuff can last a very long time (12+ hours).

If you dont like it after a few days, call your doctor.

Vyvanse is a long acting, smooth prodrug of dextroamphetamine. At first, any amphetamine can catch you off guard. The advise about maintaining proper nutrition and cal/mag/zinc supplementation is spot on. You don't need any tums. That "may" amplify effects of the medication.

i would give it a few days. It can be pretty speedy, depending on what you are focusing on. Take it early in the morning. That stuff can last a very long time (12+ hours).

If you dont like it after a few days, call your doctor.

Thanks
For the reply :) I'm on my second day now and I have to say that the results are impressive...but only for the first 6 hours. I take it at 6:30 and by 12:00/1, the grogginess/anxiety/stomach ache/lack of concentration, you name it, kicks in. By about 3:30 at work today I was ready to just call it a day and ask to leave early. The problem is that I really don't think I can be on a medication which makes me feel a million dollars for one half of the day, and then the polar opposite for the other half. i really hope that the side effects ease in the next couple of days, otherwise I don't think I can carry on with taking it.

Do you have any comedown advice? Definitely needed ;)

First, please utfse :) and timing is the best way to smooth usage. Chamomile tea and natural supplements can ease comedown.

Vyvanse is very long lasting for me. I can take 70mg at 6am and I'll still be alert at 2am. It literally lasts all day. Sometimes it's necessary to boost it with a second dose about 6 or 8 hours into it. I have ADHD/ADD and I react differently than a person who doesn't have ADD/ADHD/whatever they call it these days. I can sleep whenever I want to (helped along by an Ambien) and I can eat when I take it. Your mileage will probably vary.

I love Vyvanse. Its so darned clean for an Amp.

Yeah, eat and eat stuff with natural sugars in it such as fruit. It will help dramatically.

Drink tons of water and force some food down if you are tweaking out too hard. Eating food helps dramatically with Amps.

Oh yeah, get into muscle milk protein type shakes.

Tbh i tried making myself super alkaline and all i did was im pretty sure started to feel pretty sick. And im not sure i can even tell esp after i even tried adding grams of acid like vinegar and lemon juice just to see and like half a gallon of carbonated water no difference.

I just take calcium to replace what i might loose from drinking so much acidic coffee i get potassium from coffee and fruit and sodium and chloride from a normal diet. And fiber from oatmeal.

I love Vyvanse. Its so darned clean for an Amp.

Yeah, eat and eat stuff with natural sugars in it such as fruit. It will help dramatically.

Drink tons of water and force some food down if you are tweaking out too hard. Eating food helps dramatically with Amps.

Oh yeah, get into muscle milk protein type shakes.

First of all, thank you all for the replies, much apprecaited.

Ozekat, when you say eat fruit with natural sugars, do you mean whilst you're feeling the effects or do you mean on the comedown?

Thing is, on Thursday, before 12pm, I had Granola with chia seeds, a protein shake, porridge with peanut butter and sultanas, a handful of brazil nuts and 2 bananas, all before lunch. Yet I still felt groggy, anxious, etc, from about 12:30 onward. Could it be that I should stay clear clear of stims because of my already existing anxiety?

Vyvanse is very long lasting for me. I can take 70mg at 6am and I'll still be alert at 2am. It literally lasts all day. Sometimes it's necessary to boost it with a second dose about 6 or 8 hours into it. I have ADHD/ADD and I react differently than a person who doesn't have ADD/ADHD/whatever they call it these days. I can sleep whenever I want to (helped along by an Ambien) and I can eat when I take it. Your mileage will probably vary.
Hmm, do you think that's because you're on a much higher dosage than me? Bear in mind I'm only on 30mg. I wouldn't want to feel alert at 2am though, because I normally have to go to bed at 10:30.

Hmm, do you think that's because you're on a much higher dosage than me? Bear in mind I'm only on 30mg. I wouldn't want to feel alert at 2am though, because I normally have to go to bed at 10:30.

Possibly. I can go to sleep pretty much whenever because of the way it affects me. It can last all day but if I don't need it to, I can just sleep. I'm lucky in that regard.